PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Breaks, Suppressors and Flash Hiders

JmasterJ
01-21-07, 10:26
Hey guys, I'm currently building a rifle and I am at the point where I have to make a decision on a barrel. I'm planning on a 16" barrel and I have to make a decision on muzzle break. I live in a state still living under the AWB so I believe I'm not allowed to put a supp. or hider on and whatever I do go with must be perm. attached. First off, what are the technical differences in breaks, supps, and hiders and do you have any suggestions for a break that would work best. ( I have heard that a mini Y-comp. break is extremely loud and obnoxious)

AMMOTECH
01-21-07, 11:45
Skip the brake... Do you realy need help to control a 5.56/223?
They are loud; if you shoot near other people at the range they will get tired of your extra noise.
You asked the differance:
-A flash suppressor does just that; it cuts down on the flash.
-A muzzle brake directs gasses in a given direction to help you control the recoil.
-If your still under the ban then you can only have a brake and it must be perm attached.
So why do you need one?

My wifes AR is of the "during the ban" type with a 16" M4 profile bbl without anything added and it shoots fine.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl16m4a.asp

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/Images/abbl16m4a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/STA71448.jpg

JmasterJ
01-21-07, 13:53
So there isn't much of a difference between having a break and not having one? So what is the break for then, 3 burst and auto?

mark5pt56
01-21-07, 15:08
There is a difference in one with and one without. I will hold that anyone who believes otherwise, is wrong.
If you want a brake, get one, unless the place you shoot at has a restriction on them. If you shoot competition, you will have quicker follow up shots.

Three things you can do.

1-Get a "preban" lower and set the upper up with a flash hider of choice.

2-Go with no brake.

3-Get a brake of choice. I've had the mini Y and the AK brake. In my opinion, the AK is better. It seems to be just as effective and not as loud.
Look at the BUshmaster Shorty AK(14.5 w/perm attach.

I guess there's 4-preban with a brake.

Mark

AMMOTECH
01-21-07, 15:18
As Mark stated: "If you shoot competition" "If you want a brake, get one"

What do you plan to use this weapon for? Self-Defence/SHTF, plinking/target shooting at the range, hunting or competition.
Do you want a brake for looks? So that you don't have a plain end on the barrel.

I'm not aginst a brake if you feel you need one. I just would not have one myself.
I've got a Phantom flash suppressor on my M4. I liked it better then a standard A2 FS.

M4Guru
01-21-07, 15:35
The MSTN QC brake is pretty much the best brake I have seen, or you can go with a Surefire Brake for the can they make.

It makes a difference. Yeah, 5.56 is puny but less recoil is always appreciated.

Batt 57
01-21-07, 17:35
I've shot an IPSC gun with a JP Brake on it. Very Sweet! The only problem is that the barrel looks like the business end of an Abrams!

http://www.jprifles.com/cart_pix/tm/374.jpg

SuicideHz
01-21-07, 18:17
As Mark stated: "If you shoot competition" "If you want a brake, get one"

What do you plan to use this weapon for? Self-Defence/SHTF, plinking/target shooting at the range, hunting or competition.
Do you want a brake for looks? So that you don't have a plain end on the barrel.

I'm not aginst a brake if you feel you need one. I just would not have one myself.
I've got a Phantom flash suppressor on my M4. I liked it better then a standard A2 FS.

You are getting ridiculous. He heard your opinion on why he shouldn't bother with one. Frankly, his tastes are probably different than that of your wife. So, let him take in other suggestions instead of commenting on each one a person makes.

Usually people suggest a break for competition because they help and noone usually wants one unless it's for competition- that is unless they are under a ban and want something besides a bare muzzle.

Go ahead and get a brake. There's a few newer ones that don't work exactly the same as the Y-comps do and blow out your neighbors.

mark5pt56
01-21-07, 18:42
Let me clarify one thing. I don't think the only reason for a brake is for competition, although it may seem that way. If the goal is to put fast, effective fire down range with no regard to muzzle flash, you can't beat a brake.

Any weapon set up with a brake will always allow accurate quicker follow ups than with a like one w/o.

AMMOTECH
01-21-07, 18:42
You are getting ridiculous. He heard your opinion on why he shouldn't bother with one. Frankly, his tastes are probably different than that of your wife. So, let him take in other suggestions instead of commenting on each one a person makes.

Usually people suggest a break for competition because they help and noone usually wants one unless it's for competition- that is unless they are under a ban and want something besides a bare muzzle.

Go ahead and get a brake. There's a few newer ones that don't work exactly the same as the Y-comps do and blow out your neighbors.

Just trying to get more info to help us help him.
I don't care what anyone hangs off the end of their carbine. I just hate to see someone waste money on an item that they may not need.
And I can be ridiculous if I want...:p I never saw a rule that said that I could not comment on someones post. We are here to share info and ideas right?

SuicideHz
01-21-07, 19:07
Seemed you were taking any chance you could to say he didn't need one. seemed? I take that back. You were.

He wants opinions on different brakes, not opinions on why or why not he may or may not "need" one. It's very stupid to get into the discussion of why someone "needs" any accessory for an AR. That argument always sours fast.

He doesn't need a brake. He WANTS a brake. Give him info on brakes, not info on NOT getting a brake.

You aren't giving out any helpful information. Were you insistent on a different brake because you personally know it to be better than most, I'd say yeah, tell him over and over again to get the point across.

I don't like brakes but that's what he wants so his barrel doesn't look ridiculous.

AMMOTECH
01-21-07, 19:12
Ok whatever; Let's wait for JmasterJ to log back on and maybe this will sort itself out. I don't want to hi-jack his thread with our bitching.

Besides it won't be long before someone post that retard pic...:D

mark5pt56
01-21-07, 19:14
I also hav eone of these on a 6lb .308 bolt gun, feels like a .223. My 9yo son even shoots it with ease. I may do one on an AR. It's a Holland Quick discharge brake.
Check Brownell's to, they have different thread sizes and pitch's.

Mark

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=109958

JmasterJ
01-21-07, 19:47
It's cool all...I'm newer to the AR platform so all of this info. is a goldmine for me, bias or not. To answer some ?'s...I won't be in competition...at least for now, so this firearm is purely for HD, range time and something that I can take to a few carbine courses and beat up a bit. Honestly, I'm not really a big stickler on whether there is something on the end of my barrel or not but I will cringe to say it...I do appreciate a good looking weapon too.(of course only if the addition has a functional purpose that doesn't out weigh the performance)

I guess I'm wondering if having a break outweights not having a break for my purposes but SECONDLY, do breaks differ in performance? Which is best?

As for the preban questions...I do have a "preban" rifle but that is worth more to me personally for the "preban" status(I can do any configuration I want to it as long as it's 16" long) so it won't see dirt and grim as much as this new one will. And I really plan on beating the shit out of it too!

SO...suppressors and FH's are the same thing pretty much?

If I'm not being clear just ask me to clarify.
Thanks

GO PATS!

Batt 57
01-21-07, 20:23
It's cool all...I'm newer to the AR platform so all of this info. is a goldmine for me, bias or not. To answer some ?'s...I won't be in competition...at least for now, so this firearm is purely for HD, range time and something that I can take to a few carbine courses and beat up a bit. Honestly, I'm not really a big stickler on whether there is something on the end of my barrel or not but I will cringe to say it...I do appreciate a good looking weapon too.(of course only if the addition has a functional purpose that doesn't out weigh the performance)

I guess I'm wondering if having a break outweights not having a break for my purposes but SECONDLY, do breaks differ in performance? Which is best?

As for the preban questions...I do have a "preban" rifle but that is worth more to me personally for the "preban" status(I can do any configuration I want to it as long as it's 16" long) so it won't see dirt and grim as much as this new one will. And I really plan on beating the shit out of it too!

SO...suppressors and FH's are the same thing pretty much?

If I'm not being clear just ask me to clarify.
Thanks

GO PATS!

we are talking flash suppressors and not sound suppressors here right??

Robb Jensen
01-21-07, 20:36
JmasterJ,

Since you're living in a ban state and want something on the muzzle and can't have a flash hider and have considered a brake/comp check out www.AKConcepts.com, I have the DNTC on my 3gun rifle, it works very well, it does increase the flash but does cut down on the recoil quite a bit. The Bennie Cooley brake from JP rifles is excellent as well. Both the DNTC and the Cooley are VERY LOUD, you won't make many friends at the range using one. I do love my DNTC even better than the Bennie Cooley I had been using.

Here's a pic of me shooting mine on my 3gun rifle shooting Guatamalan ammo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/3gunAR2.jpg

This one is with American Eagle 55gr AE223 ammo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/3gunAR5.jpg

Another good choice that looks good perm. attached to a 14.5" barrel is the KKF A3 TacBrake, I used on during the ban. It's not too loud but looks pretty good. Kurt also makes a A3 faux flash suppressor.
http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/29585.htm
http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/t/section_10746/A3TBMangMS.jpg

A3 faux flash suppressor.
http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/t/section_10746/A3FFSMS.jpg

JmasterJ
01-21-07, 21:37
Yes..we are talking Flash Suppressors...

Is flash like with the Guat. surplus ammo in the picture above pretty standard with breaks or is that ammo specific? May be a hinderance in low light training or situations but I guess that's what I'll have to deal with. As for the LOUD breaks..I don't want enemies.:p

SuicideHz
01-21-07, 21:50
THAT'S the brake I wanted to point you towards- I mentioned a newer one that's popular here but couldn't remember the name.

Sorry about your Patriots. I am happy to see the Colts in the 'bowl though because they will be a good team for the Bears to beat up on.

JmasterJ
01-22-07, 21:03
Yeah...best of luck to the colts...they certainly deserve it.

Thanks for the insight on the brakes everyone...I'm sure I'll have other ?s as I go along.

Also...anyone in here know Pat Rogers or if he frequents the forum? He is supposed to do a carbine course in Pelham, NH. this summer but hasn't gotten a date set in stone...I would like to attend under his instruction.
Thanks
JM

SuicideHz
01-22-07, 21:17
Yes, he shows up often to give advice and to help us out...

I seem to see posts by him in spurts though. Probably doesn't h
ave much time and when he does, he tries to help as much as possible.

Neville
01-23-07, 01:51
Living in AWB-Austria, I feel your pain. For defense, avoid a brake. I think a brake that reduces flash and muzzle blast (both very distracting in closed rooms) is an oxymoron. I recommend the KKF fake-FH since they dampen flash and blast a little bit (like the old grease gun "trompet" muzzle devices), protect the muzzle and look good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/CatoY2k/PICT0048.jpg

docholliday
01-23-07, 02:10
I recently purchased a "tactical muzzle break" from Rock River Arms. I was looking at the PRI or the JP break but for half the price I thought I would try the RRA break and it seems to work fairly well. I have a 16" RRA entry tactical. Now the gun just comes straight back instead of up and back.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0001A1&storeid=1&image=brks07.gif&CFID=32397620&CFTOKEN=69816859

Robb Jensen
01-23-07, 04:27
Is flash like with the Guat. surplus ammo in the picture above pretty standard with breaks or is that ammo specific?

This Guatamalan ammo flashes bad with an A2 flash hider too. It's not very bad in 20" barrels. It might not have flash retardant in it (if there really is such a thing) or that it's powder is just optimal in 20" barrels.

militarymoron
01-23-07, 09:00
more info and pics of the DNTC brake here:
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access.html#dtnc

while it's obviously louder than an A2 hider to people off to the side, i didn't find it as obnoxious as some others. i was impressed with it's performance though - being a skeptic, i didn't think it'd work as well as it does in reducing felt recoil and muzzle jump.

rob_s
01-23-07, 09:49
As an organizer and safety officer at rifle matches, I hate breaks. With an unkown shooter you have to stand right in the blast area to be able to have ready access to gain control of the rifle. Put them next to a barricade and it's much worse. I keep plugs and muffs handy to be able to double up whenever a shooter with a break comes on the line.

I do understand, however, that many competitive shooters want the edge that they feel a break gives them.

rhino
01-23-07, 12:57
Another good choice that looks good perm. attached to a 14.5" barrel is the KKF A3 TacBrake, I used on during the ban. It's not too loud but looks pretty good. Kurt also makes a A3 faux flash suppressor.

I have one of Kurt's TacBrakes on my truck gun (that originally came with a bare muzzle). I'm not sure how much it helps as a brake/compensator, but it looks cool. :D

For what it's worth, I think a full length gas system (vs. carbine length), preferably ajdustable, makes a far bigger difference in the amount the gun moves than any compensator. Since all of my guns have been carbines (16 and 14.5 inch barrels), I don't get a dramatic improvement with brakes/comps, but it does help some. I've used Smith Ent. post ban, and now I have a JP/Cooley and I like it better.

jmart
01-23-07, 13:01
A month or two ago SWAT had an article on some new Surefire products, on eof which was a brake that they claimed wasn't as loud as competitior's brakes. I tried to find some info on it on Surefire's website, but no joy. I think it's that new. You may want to contact them directly for info -- it's one to consider.

militarymoron
01-23-07, 14:45
A month or two ago SWAT had an article on some new Surefire products, on eof which was a brake that they claimed wasn't as loud as competitior's brakes.
if it's this one, the MB556K, it's VERY loud to someone at the side, and quite the flamethrower (this is coming from a source i trust who test fired one of them).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/MB556Ka.jpg

Resq47
01-23-07, 17:08
As an organizer and safety officer at rifle matches, I hate breaks. With an unkown shooter you have to stand right in the blast area to be able to have ready access to gain control of the rifle. Put them next to a barricade and it's much worse. I keep plugs and muffs handy to be able to double up whenever a shooter with a break comes on the line.

I do understand, however, that many competitive shooters want the edge that they feel a break gives them.

Same here, we're revising our rulebook to prohibit brakes altogether, with an exception for AK / m1a socom's. As a perennial RSO I'm tired of being blasted and would rather see shooters overcome the mighty recoil of the .223 rifle...

mark5pt56
01-23-07, 18:36
Although I don't have one, you may want to make the rules to allow ones like the Noveski piggy based on the reports here.

I guess with the same logic, you wouldn't allow shooters to use cover properly. brake or no brake, ever be next to a shooter with the muzzle on the friendly side of a rat hole???

I would make sure I let one go like that so it would really irritate you.

jmart
01-23-07, 21:02
if it's this one, the MB556A, it's VERY loud to someone at the side, and quite the flamethrower (this is coming from a source i trust who test fired one of them).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/MB556Ka.jpg

That could be it but there's no numerical designator mentioned in the article and the pics are taken from far enough away that I'm not positive. Realistically though, it probably is. I doubt Surefire would release two separate muzzle brakes.

Denny Hanson was the author, he wrote:

"I have been on the line next to shooters whose rifles were equipped with muzzle brakes, and the blast is often very extreme. I stood within three feet of the muzzle as Barry [Barry Dueck, Director of Surefire's Suppressor Division]fired an AR-15 equipped with the new Surefire brake. In all honesty, I was expecting an intense blast of pressure, but all I felt was a gentle (though forceful) surge of air. The brake does its job while not making someone to the side of it combat ineffective. I was impressed."

Resq47
01-23-07, 22:16
Although I don't have one, you may want to make the rules to allow ones like the Noveski piggy based on the reports here.

I guess with the same logic, you wouldn't allow shooters to use cover properly. brake or no brake, ever be next to a shooter with the muzzle on the friendly side of a rat hole???

I would make sure I let one go like that so it would really irritate you.

There's no issue with the Noveske krinks, they actually help with the buffeting in my experience. If you don't use cover at our shoots, you earn a procedural for each offense (3s).

Backblast from cover is a different issue and not a problem, but thanks for playing. If a shooter is unsafe enough that the RSO needs to crowd them while they're proned on a swiss cheese cover board, there are other issues to deal with.

C4IGrant
04-30-07, 13:33
That could be it but there's no numerical designator mentioned in the article and the pics are taken from far enough away that I'm not positive. Realistically though, it probably is. I doubt Surefire would release two separate muzzle brakes.

Denny Hanson was the author, he wrote:

"I have been on the line next to shooters whose rifles were equipped with muzzle brakes, and the blast is often very extreme. I stood within three feet of the muzzle as Barry [Barry Dueck, Director of Surefire's Suppressor Division]fired an AR-15 equipped with the new Surefire brake. In all honesty, I was expecting an intense blast of pressure, but all I felt was a gentle (though forceful) surge of air. The brake does its job while not making someone to the side of it combat ineffective. I was impressed."

According to SF, this muzzle break reduces recoil by 54%. I have ordered one to see if I can actually tell a difference.

C4

Stik
05-03-07, 04:13
Speaking from personal experience, I had the YHM brake that looks like the phantom hider except cut/machined differently to channel the gasses. Noticeable difference in recoil over an A2 flash hider. I have recently installed a Micrulek style brake and it is even better on the recoil aspect but LOUD. I believe that all brakes are going to be alot louder than flash hider or plain crowned muzzle. Again, it would just be your preference. I have just begun to shoot USPSA 3 gun matches so a brake is a must for me. I hated to take all the cool stuff I had clamped on my rifle (light, vert grip, sling) but you soon find out what you need and what gets in the way. But since I have 5 AR's total it didn't hurt too bad to "strip one down". Please take note that a USPSA match is different than a self defence situation (no body is shooting back!!) and it's always daylight but sometimes rainy. If you are looking into shooting rifle matches, I would recomend the JP or Mirculek style brake. I also saw a Eric Lund designed brake at the last match and that rifle didn't move at all in rapid fire off hand, but could have alot to do with the shooter but it caused enough interest that several shooters on my squad waited til the end of the day to shoot the guys rifle with the Eric Lund brake and they all seemed to like it better than the Micrulek and JP.

Bobcape
05-06-07, 10:35
http://www.smithenterprise.com/imagesprod/5.56mm_Muzzle_Brake.lg.jpg

This is the brake that I installed. It is very effective. It did increase the "blast" some, but not nearly as much as my buddies' JP!

Bob

Ned Christiansen
05-09-07, 10:59
http://m-guns.com/images/lrg_compensator.jpg

I haven't really been promoting these since my personal AR15 context has come to be more along the lines of duty guns, but they do work well. That's not me patting myself on the back so much-- actually there is so much "stuff" coming out the end of anything 5.56 that it's pretty easy to make an effective brake.

Robb Jensen
05-17-07, 07:22
I'm now running the Flatland Forge F2 comp, it's pretty damn good. Tons of noise though. You'll feel quite a bit of pressure in your sinuses if you're to its sides when someone else is shooting. But it's not too bad to the shooter. Only the right side of it is ported for bias.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunriflerightside.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunrifleleftside.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/556pics/vltortube007.jpg

Ned Christiansen
05-17-07, 08:24
After what I learned designing mine, I can look at that one (the FF product) and say "it works". When I was developing this, I did not have access to full auto, but I'm pretty sure a brake / comp could be made that would plow earth with a long burst. I had to de-tune it through a few iterations to get it right. It's made in a lefty and righty version.

One test I always wanted to do was suspend an M16 on cords, and have a zip-tie around the trigger, so that a jerk on a lanyard would pull the trigger and hold it down for a C-mag full...... see if we can get the rifle to go into a "hover":p

SuicideHz
05-17-07, 18:28
After what I learned designing mine, I can look at that one (the FF product) and say "it works". When I was developing this, I did not have access to full auto, but I'm pretty sure a brake / comp could be made that would plow earth with a long burst. I had to de-tune it through a few iterations to get it right. It's made in a lefty and righty version.

One test I always wanted to do was suspend an M16 on cords, and have a zip-tie around the trigger, so that a jerk on a lanyard would pull the trigger and hold it down for a C-mag full...... see if we can get the rifle to go into a "hover":p

WOW. It would probably swing side to side in a "spray and pray" sort of fashion and I wouldn't want to be around but it would be nice to see on video!

Ned Christiansen
05-17-07, 19:03
Definitely a job for Iron Man!

blackscot
05-23-07, 07:04
After a recent side-by-side comparison, I can vouch that an AK74-style brake is very effective in .223.

My bird-cage equipped AR definitely has to be pulled back to the target after each shot (espcially with full-power mil-spec loads), whereas my .223 AK (Arsenal SLR-106) hardly budges. The blast hitting the front plates of the brake just grabs that barrel by the throat! The AK brake may be a little louder, but nothing like a Y-comp (which I agree with the earlier comments from a fellow match official).

I'll be keeping the flash hider on my AR though, as it is configured for low-light/no-light conditions in the home-defense mode.

Robb Jensen
05-23-07, 07:54
Randy the AKConcepts DNTC brake on an AR doesn't have much flash if using good ammo like American Eagle, M855 and such.

If using Guatamalan it has a HUGE flash. It's a very good comp and reduces recoil and muzzle lift very well, it is louder than an A2 comp but not as loud as a Cooley or my F2 comp.

Here's what it looks like with American Eagle (16" midlength bbl).

Here's with South African on DavidP14s Olympic M16 lower (w/H buffer) and our ARES piston converted 11.5" upper. This combo was VERY controllable, witht an aggressive stance I could keep the entire mag on full auto in a 1.5-2ft circle at 125-150yds without climbing off the target. It's cyclic rate was much slower than with Davids 10.5" LMT upper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/robbM16.jpg

GNXII
05-23-07, 08:38
Does anyone know of any "formal" testing of brakes in terms of which one was the "loudest" down to the "quietest" Forgive me if my terms are not technical...:confused:

blackscot
05-23-07, 11:44
Randy the AKConcepts DNTC brake on an AR doesn't have much flash if using good ammo like American Eagle, M855 and such........It's a very good comp and reduces recoil and muzzle lift very well.......

Very nice......appears to have the best of both worlds.

Flash on the 74 brake is not bad, based on M855.....oh, and that Wolf (bleh!......gag!.....weeze!.....), but is more than from the bird cage. Just yesterday got a few boxes of UMC from the local Wal Fart to try next.

Ned Christiansen
05-30-07, 10:36
The loudest? I'll put my very first attempt at a brake into that contest. I never really did a lot of experimentation as to what makes one louder than the next, but there do seem to be certain designs that magnify blast (and flash) more than others while not necessarily being better at keeping the muzzle steady. The standard AK74 brake does not seem to create a big ol' shock wave like some. I never felt that my current design was too bad but then most of my experience with it is from the driver's seat.

It would be great if one of you guys could spend an afternoon at this.... hint, hint. I think I have a "loaner" around here and if mine is not the quietest, no big deal since I never even considered it at the time I first came out with it ('88 or so), and I really don't push them anymore.

Robb Jensen
05-30-07, 11:39
It would be great if one of you guys could spend an afternoon at this.... hint, hint. I think I have a "loaner" around here and if mine is not the quietest, no big deal since I never even considered it at the time I first came out with it ('88 or so), and I really don't push them anymore.

I'd give it a try! :D

Bcm3087
06-25-07, 11:45
Grant, or anyone else who has tried it...what do you think of the Surefire MB556K that was on page 2 of this thread? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

C4IGrant
06-25-07, 11:46
Grant, or anyone else who has tried it...what do you think of the Surefire MB556K that was on page 2 of this thread? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have tried it and do believe that it does reduce muzzle flip. The down side to them is that they are expensive. I do have some in stock and offer M4C members discounts on them if interested.

C4

Bcm3087
06-26-07, 01:02
Thanks Grant. What is your take on + or - blast on the sides? I'm also considering one of the new Vltor flash hiders as an alternative. Any other thoughts from anyone? Thanks.

C4IGrant
06-26-07, 08:07
Thanks Grant. What is your take on + or - blast on the sides? I'm also considering one of the new Vltor flash hiders as an alternative. Any other thoughts from anyone? Thanks.

There is of course blast on the sides, but since I am the shooter, it doesn't bother me. :D

I have also been running the new VLTOR. Very good muzzle break as well. blast comes out in all directions (so I am told).

C4

Nimslow
06-26-07, 22:30

Here is a Surefire MB556K, mounted on my 16" SS MRP barrel. It does reduce muzzle flip slightlly, but I don't think it reduces recoil as much as they claim.

One of my buddies has a Miculek muzzle break on his 16" Rock river. You can fire the rifle with the stock 2" off your shoulder, and the recoil won't push the butt back into your shoulder. You can't do that with the surefire.

If my paperwork ever clears, I'll have a Surefire FA556K suppresor. That's the only reason I went with this break.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nimslow/IMG_1059.jpg

Robb Jensen
06-27-07, 04:07
I just saw Ernest Langdon (works for S&W) and he had one of the Surefire MB556K brakes on his M&P15 PC that he's shooting for a 3gun rifle. He likes it a lot. I told him he needs to tryout my Flatland Forge F2 comp. It's extremely loud but very efficient, on a full auto gun it would probably have muzzle dive.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/5b39684e.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/dfb4c000.jpg

jacketch
06-27-07, 04:18
One of my buddies has a Miculek muzzle break on his 16" Rock river. You can fire the rifle with the stock 2" off your shoulder, and the recoil won't push the butt back into your shoulder. You can't do that with the surefire.

I have a Miculek on one of my guns and it does work very well. From the comments I got at 3gun matches, it's also very (extremely) loud to the sides.

andy_ita
02-28-10, 17:44
does the Miculek comp reduce barrel climb as the surefire comp???

Cagemonkey
02-28-10, 18:03
I'd use the PWS FSC556. Its not horribly loud and doesn't make a huge muzzle flash. Its not considered a flash suppressing devise by BATF, so its AWB legal. Also look at the Extreme Tactical Comp by Rainier Arms.

Godallmighty
02-28-10, 21:24
I'm currently working on a new compensator, it's basically a hybrid between the "KAC Tripple Tap" and the "Levang Linear Compensator" (All gases expelled forward). So far its just in development, but the computer generated simulations run on it, looks very promising! "Flash/Recoil/Sound suppressor" in one tiny package. (The size is identical to a standard A2 bird cage)

Will produce a couple of them within a short future to see if they work as well in the real world as they do in the CAD simulation. If they work as I hope they do, for those interested, they will be up for sale.

I'll post some more info on the forum after i received the first batch and done some real world testing on them.

JonnyVain
03-01-10, 20:15
I'm currently working on a new compensator, it's basically a hybrid between the "KAC Tripple Tap" and the "Levang Linear Compensator" (All gases expelled forward). So far its just in development, but the computer generated simulations run on it, looks very promising! "Flash/Recoil/Sound suppressor" in one tiny package. (The size is identical to a standard A2 bird cage)

Will produce a couple of them within a short future to see if they work as well in the real world as they do in the CAD simulation. If they work as I hope they do, for those interested, they will be up for sale.

I'll post some more info on the forum after i received the first batch and done some real world testing on them.

Sound suppressor as in, I need a tax stamp, or just quieter to the shooter?

AAC just came out with a new comp/flash to the tune of the PWS combo.... Actually, maybe it isn't out yet, since I can't find it on their site.

Godallmighty
03-01-10, 20:57
As it directs the sound wave forward its more quiet for the shooter, but based on the modulation of the gases, it should dampen a few decibel to.

When i have them in hand, i'll do some testing. It's one thing what a computer simulation says... and one thing that happens in reality!

carbinero
04-13-10, 14:27
Just got email from Ranier: with purchase of their billet upper, they are including their Xtreme Tactical Comp free. SO, if you're shopping for a stripped upper, that may be worth looking at...

M&P45
04-13-10, 15:45
JmasterJ,

Since you're living in a ban state and want something on the muzzle and can't have a flash hider and have considered a brake/comp check out www.AKConcepts.com, I have the DNTC on my 3gun rifle, it works very well, it does increase the flash but does cut down on the recoil quite a bit. The Bennie Cooley brake from JP rifles is excellent as well. Both the DNTC and the Cooley are VERY LOUD, you won't make many friends at the range using one. I do love my DNTC even better than the Bennie Cooley I had been using.

Here's a pic of me shooting mine on my 3gun rifle shooting Guatamalan ammo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/3gunAR2.jpg

This one is with American Eagle 55gr AE223 ammo.

http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/t/section_10746/A3TBMangMS.jpg

A3 faux flash suppressor.
http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/t/section_10746/A3FFSMS.jpg

Kurt is no longer with us. He died in a motorcycle accident last year. I think his wife was trying to sell what inventory he had left. You can try contacting her via his web site.

Sparky5019
04-14-10, 16:24
I have a KX3 and a PWS FSC556 QDSS. The KX3 throws all the blast DR so it is quieter but no comp. The PWS is a nice combo of their TTO comp and the flash suppression of the FSC 556. It does have some blast and noise but is very good at both...the muzzle does not move much! I am, of course, not an expert but that has worked well for me!

Sparky