PDA

View Full Version : RRA's Grips...

Razorhunter
01-21-07, 12:06
I have seen several RRA's pistol grips for their AR's. I recently held a rubber coated grip at a gun show, and it was the best grip I've ever felt in my hand.
Does anyone happen to know if RRA produces these themselves, or could they be buying them from another company, who might offer them under a different name?
Before I call RRA's to see about ordering one, I'd like to find if another company makes them, as that might allow me to buy one that doesn't say "Rock River Arms" on it. I shoot a Colt, and would prefer "RRA's" to not be inscribed on the grip...
Also, are all rear pistol grips usually interchangeable? (will it even work on a Colt??)

I'm just looking for any other good grip options besides the TD or MIAD grips.. Nothing against them, but that RRA's grip sure felt better than the TD or MIAD...
Thanks.

-Wes-
01-21-07, 12:39
The RRA grip is made by Hogue.

All grips are interchangable.

C4IGrant
01-21-07, 12:41
I have seen several RRA's pistol grips for their AR's. I recently held a rubber coated grip at a gun show, and it was the best grip I've ever felt in my hand.
Does anyone happen to know if RRA produces these themselves, or could they be buying them from another company, who might offer them under a different name?
Before I call RRA's to see about ordering one, I'd like to find if another company makes them, as that might allow me to buy one that doesn't say "Rock River Arms" on it. I shoot a Colt, and would prefer "RRA's" to not be inscribed on the grip...
Also, are all rear pistol grips usually interchangeable? (will it even work on a Colt??)

I'm just looking for any other good grip options besides the TD or MIAD grips.. Nothing against them, but that RRA's grip sure felt better than the TD or MIAD...
Thanks.

The Hogue or Ergo are good grips as well, but fall behind the TD and the MIAD IMHO. The main reason is that these grips offer waterproof storage and or are adjustable to fit your hand.

C4

Dave L.
01-22-07, 19:23
Razor,

Buy a MIAD!

Dave,
ps Grant keeps these in stock;)

Razorhunter
01-22-07, 20:10
I hear ya guys.
I've had my eye on the MIAD since I bought my first AR. I love the idea, and look of it, and I will eventually own one. (I order from Grant any time I can too.)
I just picked up that RRA's AR at the gun show, and I couldn't believe how good that Hogue grip felt in my hand.
UPDATE,
I went to the local gun dealer today, and low and behold he had one in stock. For $18, you can't go wrong.
I know they don't offer the grip storage in their original state, however, you can still get a grip plug like this, that is made to convert the OEM Colt grips (and all others like it) into a grip w/storage compartment.

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Grip_Plug_p/gp1002.htm

Now granted, I'm sure it's not as secure or watertight as the MIAD or TD designs, but it works I suppose. Also, I have CLOSELY compared the bottom hole of my OEM Colt grip, with the OEM hole of the Hogue grip I bought today, and both holes are EXACTLY the same shape and size. In other words, the "Grip Plug" that is linked above, will work in either the OEM Colt grip, OR the Hogue grip as well..
I couldn't believe the Colt and Hogue were exactly the same underneath hole size, but they were...

Anyhow, as I said, I'll probably try a MIAD out one day. I also was really trying to wait for Magpul to introduce the newest version of their trigger guard, which will be a PIVOTING model, just as the original trigger guards on our AR's/M4's are. The current Magpul trigger guard doesn't pivot, but the new one's will (soon to be introduced, according to Magpul anyway)...
Not that one would ever really need that enlarged Magpul trigger guard pivoted out of the way, but hey, it's nice to have the option.
My point to all of this is that the Magpul MIAD "FULL GRIP KIT", comes with their enlarged trigger guard, so that is one reason why I've put off ordering my MIAD kit just yet.
(waiting for new pivoting guard to come out)....

Thanks guys...

Rmplstlskn
01-23-07, 18:52
Those grip plugs are designed for the A2 grip. They DO NOT fit properly in the Hogue/RRA grip (atleast in both of mine it doesn't).

Rmpl

SuicideHz
01-23-07, 19:01
And at that point you are getting close to the price of a MIAD, aren't you?

9DivDoc
01-25-07, 16:25
I got some good sized mutt hooks myself...and of all the grips I've tried
Stock,SPR,TD,Ergo,and Hogue...haven't tried Magpul's yet but Grant is
gonna ship me one here pretty quick...(once the carriers land)....

Anyway off all the grips I've used those Hogues fit and feel the best..

I've got couple of them.. black and OD...that OD has RR on it..but then it's
on a RR lower so no big deal...(not that it would be anyway...but then again.. I wear
different colored socks sometimes when no clean ones match)

Edited to add...got my MIAD from Grant...and found the combo that feels the best...but still like the feel of the
Hogue better...the MIAD however puts my finger in a better position on the trigger than does the thinner Hogue.

The Hogue also tempts me to squeeze my whole hand while firing which tends to pull the front end off target a bit - imo

When I can save up enough money to replace my wife's carbine with another I will put the MIAD on hers with the smaller
front and back straps and see if she likes it better than the TD she had...

Razorhunter
01-25-07, 19:46
I just picked up the black Hogue the other day.
I would love to find an OD colored one just like it though! I have never seen an OD Hogue though. Wish I had one to use though...
Those Hogues really are comfortable and they don't look really stupid (big and gawdy) like other rubber type grips do. They look pretty damn good actually...
Still want to try a MIAD, as it is really a better grip as far as function goes, but as for comfort, well, I can tell by looking at it, that it can't possibly be as comfortable as the Hogue.
Let me know if you run across another OD Hogue 9divdoc. (Especially if you find "Hogue" marked grips....

Seth Harness
02-01-07, 18:05
when i bought my rra it had a rubber grip. now im spoiled, when i grab a plastic grip, it dosnt even feel like the same gun.

Seth Harness
02-01-07, 18:06
when i bought my rra it had a rubber grip. now im spoiled, when i grab a plastic grip, it dosnt even feel like the same gun.

Razorhunter
02-01-07, 21:51
I feel the SAME way now.
The Hogue/RRA rubber grips are some of the most comfortable grips made...

Sotex
02-01-07, 21:54
Razorhunter,

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0084&storeid=1&image=grips.gif&CFID=33572400&CFTOKEN=71487959

I'm sure you could go straight to Hogue, too.

Razorhunter
02-01-07, 21:55
I'm sure you could go straight to Hogue, too.

And that is exactly what I did sir. Thanks!

edwin907
02-01-07, 21:59
I'm a big fan of the Hogue (or RRA) grips and have these on three lowers.

http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/70214408/original.jpg

But I did get a OD TD grip from Grant on his suggestion to match my OD VLTOR Clubfoot and KAC OD rail panels on a 14.5" and Grant's right, it's a terrific grip, comfortable and secure in the hand. And storage, dang, I forgot all about that!

http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/68496128/original.jpg