PDA

View Full Version : 9mm AR's

thedog
07-01-09, 22:16
I have thought of getting a 9mm Colt when prices level out. What are your experiences with these weapons? Are the modified Uzi mags any good, or stay with Colt?
I appreciate any info. (I already have a 5.56)

dOg

Dunderway
07-01-09, 23:11
I was curious about this also.

Rob_S wrote a really good article about this on www.tacticalyellowvisor.net. It should answer a lot of your questions.

thedog
07-01-09, 23:53
I was curious about this also.

Rob_S wrote a really good article about this on www.tacticalyellowvisor.net. It should answer a lot of your questions.

I'll check that out, thanks friend!

dog

Dunderway
07-02-09, 00:22
No problem.

rob_s
07-02-09, 06:20
As posted, I have two. I bought them with very specific uses in mind, and haven't used either one for their intended purposes.

I think that what you need to do is figure out what it is you're hoping to accomplish with the gun, and what you want it to do for you, and use that to guide your purchases. My initial reasons were...

1) For use at an indoor range I joined to get some added practice. Joined the range two years ago now and have never set foot inside.

2) For use at a local steel plate match. Figured it would be a good place to get some practice with the AR. Have never attended a single match.

3) For the kid and ole' lady to shoot. Turns out that the 9mm kicks harder than the .223, and I would have been better off with a .22 upper. Bought the kid a 10/22 and the ole' lady doesn't have much interest in shooting the AR anyway.

4) For possible use as a suppressed home defense tool. Turns out that 5.56 can be safer in terms off over-penetration than a 9mm, especially when fired out of 10.5" and longer barrels.

5) For less expensive shooting/training. Turns out some instructors don't allow them due to reliability issues, and I've figured out that with the different shape of the magazines some manipulations don't carry over.

Bought a can for the damn things too, and one of them is an SBR that the geniuses at Anvil took a year to get into my hands. So I've got a couple $k now and a whole lot of time invested in two guns that I never shoot. I hang onto them because I keep telling myself that I'll eventually do 1 & 2 above, and that maybe I'll come up with another use for them. Plus, I have the 9mm can now which is no good for a pistol and which has a very low resale value.

John Hearne
07-03-09, 21:51
I'm running a RRA upper with Colt SMG magazines and love it. Once tweaked, it runs 100%. I shoot IDPA matches with it and blast the steel at the range.

motoman
08-15-09, 16:15
what other companies make good 9mm uppers?

Paulinski
08-17-09, 09:58
I'm running a RRA upper with Colt SMG magazines and love it. Once tweaked, it runs 100%. I shoot IDPA matches with it and blast the steel at the range.

What tweaks did you perform. I'm running an RRA upper on a stag lower with Hahn block and I get double feeds with Colt SMG mags occasionally.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

shooter521
08-17-09, 10:42

Don't know about complete uppers other than Rock River, but Bravo Company and TROS USA both make excellent 9mm AR barrels in short (sub-16") lengths.

My 9mm AR is a home build that uses a Bushmaster lower with a pinned-in JRW Sports (circa 1998) mag adapter, RRA flat top 9mm upper, TROS 9" 3-lugged barrel and an MI free-float rail.

I shoot it a lot, and it's proven just as reliable as my M4. It's great fun at the local steel match.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/shooter521/misc%20guns/SBR9_multimount_left.jpg

John Hearne
08-18-09, 22:00
What tweaks did you perform. I'm running an RRA upper on a stag lower with Hahn block and I get double feeds with Colt SMG mags occasionally.

I tweaked the extractor until it was practically dragging on the bolt. (The magazine adaptor is a Hahn bottom loader) When I did it, it looked like too much but it does work 100%. This is what it ended up looking like:

http://dvctargets.com/Misc/Images/fa-ar-9mm-ejector_tweak.jpg

Paulinski
08-19-09, 11:08
Thanks for the info.

I'm going to bend mine the same way.

dcs12345
09-21-09, 14:22
I have had pretty good luck with my RRA upper and VM-Hytech mag block which lets me use unmodified uzi mags. The only problems I have had can be blamed on a bad mag.

kmrtnsn
09-21-09, 21:35
There are some 9mm Colt parts kits available over at HKParts.com. A bit pricey but I am seriously considering one.

BJV
09-23-09, 18:52
I tweaked the extractor until it was practically dragging on the bolt. (The magazine adaptor is a Hahn bottom loader) When I did it, it looked like too much but it does work 100%. This is what it ended up looking like:

http://dvctargets.com/Misc/Images/fa-ar-9mm-ejector_tweak.jpg

This. I had FTE all over the place with mine until I did this, and from then on mine has been 100%.

In these times of expensive ammo, I've been using my 9mm AR as a "training substitute." I have it set up exactly like my 5.56mm AR and reload ammo for it, so I'm able to keep costs down. It works great out to about 100 yards (it actually works fine beyond that, but the holdovers start to get a bit extreme). I use Metalform (former Colt) mags with it, so the bolt locks back which makes muscle memory the same as my 5.56mm carbine. Modified Uzi mags work great as well, but they don't hold the bolt open on the last round.

FYI, my 9mm carbine uses a dedicated Hahn block, a 9-Q Buffer, and a RRA mid-length upper. I'd recommend ramping the bolt and using a DPMS hammer with KNS pins to save your lower a beating.

BillBond
09-23-09, 19:42
I have thought of getting a 9mm Colt when prices level out. What are your experiences with these weapons? Are the modified Uzi mags any good, or stay with Colt?

dOg

Prices not only leveled out but appear to be dropping.
IMO anything Colt or RRA is good.
I use Colt parts with a RRA flattop upper and it is a dream to shoot at the indoor range, plus the wife likes to shoot it also.
I use the older style Colt/Metalform magazines without any problems.
Have not tried the modified Uzi mags or the new Colt/CProducts mags.

:cool:

Javelinadave
09-23-09, 21:25
American Spirit Arms makes a great setup:
ASA 9mm upper link (http://www.americanspiritarms.com/products/9MM_Flat_Top_Upper_Assembly_Conversion-25-2.html)
I have one that I love. It uses Uzi mags that are cheap and plentiful.

decodeddiesel
09-25-09, 10:12

dOg

If I were going to do a 9mm AR I would get a Colt 6450, SBR it ALA RO635 (http://www.colt.com/mil/SMG.asp) and use nothing but Colt/Metalform mags.

It seems every RRA or Hahn block 9mm AR I have seen is a constant struggle to keep running correctly. From what I have seen and read about the only way to really get a 100% reliable 9mm AR is to go with the Colt system.

However that being said I have had the opportunity to fire a real RO635 it is was one of the most fun ARs I have ever had the chance to fire, especially in full auto.

pro2
09-25-09, 11:59
I'm sure this have been asked before but I just couldn't find it when doing a search. For a dedicated 9mm would a top loading Hahn block be preferred over a Rock River block?

NavDoc
10-06-09, 18:20

FWIW, Spike's Tactical makes a complete 9mm upper.
I can't comment on the quality.

mike benedict
10-07-09, 06:45
If I were going to do a 9mm AR I would get a Colt 6450, SBR it ALA RO635 (http://www.colt.com/mil/SMG.asp) and use nothing but Colt/Metalform mags.

It seems every RRA or Hahn block 9mm AR I have seen is a constant struggle to keep running correctly. From what I have seen and read about the only way to really get a 100% reliable 9mm AR is to go with the Colt system.

I have a CMMG 9mm upper that has been GTG from the start
I have it on a Rock River lower with a bottom feed Hahn block,9mm buffer, buffer spring and hammer all from Brownells
When I bought the upper from CMMG I asked them what I needed to do to make it run and they were correct

Mike

thedog
10-07-09, 18:07
I think it would be a fun alternative to 5.56, cheaper and I love AR's. And still a viable home defense weapon, should the need arise. Maybe a good truck gun. I just think it would be fun. And I love the green furniture pictured on the one in my RRA catalog.

dog

NavDoc
10-07-09, 18:31
I have a complete RRA 9mm A4 carbine upper, buffer, and hammer with a dedicated Hahn top-loader in an ASA lower. I have put 900 rounds (yes, I'm counting) rounds through it over the past couple of months. It has not had any malfunctions, and I have been using only C-products mags :eek:. Oh, and the bolt catch has worked each time the mag is empty. I guess I got lucky. I have read about several other settups not doing as well. YMMV.

eternal24k
10-11-09, 21:02
I love my 9mm build, I built it up which i found to be a little bit of a pain (had to file some material from a VIS upper to allow the mags to drop free), but it is sweet. My dedicated Hahn runs 100% with Cproduct mags (but i only have 5), I will be getting some Metalform soon