PDA

View Full Version : Ruger PC9/PC4 Police Carbine

Dunderway
07-01-09, 22:46
Does anyone have any experience with these? My buddy had one and I really liked it. It was basically like shooting a loud 10/22. They came in 9mm and .40 sw., and accepted Ruger P-Series pistol magazines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Police_Carbine

They have been discontinued, but pop up used now and then for $400 - $500. This will be a HD gun for my Mom, who is very small. Before anyone makes other suggestions: She can not handle the recoil of a shotgun, and will not be putting in the time to train with it. The same goes for a major caliber pistol. I can’t afford to buy her an AR that I would trust to protect her life. I thought this and a TLR-1 might make a nice, light, manageable little carbine for her to hold up with and wait for the police.

Share your knowledge please.

P.S.: I really appreciate all of the great advice here, but please do not provide me with your opinion of Sturm Ruger (unless it is from experience with the PC9 or PC4), I don’t care.

tpd223
07-02-09, 06:33
I was at an IALEFI regional a few years ago, and either fired or watched fired a number of 9mm Ruger carbines, each gun on the line (10 guns IIRC) had about 1200 rounds put through them that day.
I noted no issues, parts breakage, or stoppages. The guns ran even when very dirty.

I'd buy one for the right price, these are probably the best of the pistol caliber carbines (although the Beretta is also pretty decent) and would be a good choice for your mission profile, especially with a few MecGar 20 round mags.

Fail-Safe
07-02-09, 09:59
I had a PC-4LE a long time ago, and I really enjoyed it. It came from the factory with MMC nite sites with the rear being a horizontal bar, and the front being a verticle post. It was fun as hell to shoot, and plenty accurate.

I sold it for $100 more than what I paid, but also because I didnt like being limited to 11 rd magazines. Later on I regretted selling it because there was a company, I forget the name now, doing conversions to use Glock mags.

If I'm you, while the PCs are neat, I'd look at the Kel-Tec Sub2K in 9mm using Glock mags. One of those 33rd G18 mags in the rifle, and some extra G18s or G17s would be nice, I know because I owned this setup too.

ST911
07-02-09, 14:10
They have been discontinued, but pop up used now and then for $400 - $500. This will be a HD gun for my Mom, who is very small. Before anyone makes other suggestions: She can not handle the recoil of a shotgun, and will not be putting in the time to train with it. The same goes for a major caliber pistol. I can’t afford to buy her an AR that I would trust to protect her life. I thought this and a TLR-1 might make a nice, light, manageable little carbine for her to hold up with and wait for the police. Share your knowledge please.

The PCC is a serviceable PCC. Generally reliable, durable enough for most users.

They have a tendency to be ammo sensitive. Some more than others, as Ruger made tweaks throughout production. One of the Ruger forums has a fairly exhaustive post outlining those changes but I can't find the bookmark right now. Lightly impulsed economy training ammo may or may not work. Ammo that generates a greater impulse tends to be okay.

One agency ran 124gr FMJ and 124gr JHP +P and had excellent luck with their guns.

They are size but not weight efficient. The stocks are too long, as usual. Modification of the stock is quirky but doable. Mounting of optics is also quirky.

I'd be another one if the price was right. They are sheeple-friendly, carry easily, and can be fun. Get a 9mm if you can.

I would buy the Ruger PC long before Keltec Sub 2000.

Dunderway
07-02-09, 15:57
Thanks to everyone that chimed in. I really appreciate it. As I said this will be for my Mom. It will just see a light and a 2-point sling. It will not see any carbine courses or a high round count, so as long as they are seen as generally reliable I will be looking to pick one up for her. Looks like I'll need to cut down the stock though.

Once I find one, I'll post the mods and a range report.

spr1
07-04-09, 07:53
I picked a 9mm one up when they first came out with the intention of using it for fun shooting. Took it home and tried to feed winchester ball, fed 9bp, and some Hornady XTP loads. Nothing would chamber reliably from slide lock or a racking of the bolt from either a 10 round factory Ruger mag or an original 15 rd Ruger mag. I ended up returning it to the dealer. I assume that they made changes or I had an absolute lemon.

Slugger
07-09-09, 23:17
I don't care for Ruger . . . I know things have changed since Bill is gone but I still have a bad feeling that I'll probably never shake. My loss maybe, but . . . . .
Slugger

TOrrock
07-10-09, 00:13
As others have stated, they're decent carbines.

I would actually take a very hard look at the Beretta Storm.

Light weight, ergonomic, and they take readily available 15 round mags.

The LOP should also be a bit more friendly for a shorter statured person as well.

TheGreenRanger24
07-10-09, 09:52
Just a random though, but it would be kind of neat if Ruger would make a 9mm carbine that accepts SR9 magazines. :cool:

Combat_Diver
07-26-09, 07:30
I had one a decade ago that I bought for my oldest son. Always shot well with good mags. Watch out for the cheap hi cap mags as those are the only thing that gave trouble. Another option would be a M1 Carbine. That's what my mothers uses out in central Texas and she has athritis in her hands.

CD

Dunderway
07-27-09, 21:07
I don't care for Ruger . . . I know things have changed since Bill is gone but I still have a bad feeling that I'll probably never shake. My loss maybe, but . . . . .
Slugger

Next time, please read the entire post before you respond.

Dunderway
07-27-09, 21:11
I had one a decade ago that I bought for my oldest son. Always shot well with good mags. Watch out for the cheap hi cap mags as those are the only thing that gave trouble. Another option would be a M1 Carbine. That's what my mothers uses out in central Texas and she has athritis in her hands.

CD

I too have fallen victim to cheap Ruger mags.

The M1 was honestly my first choice, especially with the introduction of good HD ammo, but I found myself in a bit of a pickle with that gun.

- By the time I refurbish a cheaper grade gun, I would be close to putting together a decent M4.

- If I found one that was in nice shape, I don't think that I could bring myself to drill it up and it would most likely just end up in the safe.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the PC, it is sounding like just the gun to fit my needs.

Dunderway
07-27-09, 21:13
As others have stated, they're decent carbines.

I would actually take a very hard look at the Beretta Storm.

Light weight, ergonomic, and they take readily available 15 round mags.

The LOP should also be a bit more friendly for a shorter statured person as well.

I really need to open my mind, because I just can't get over the looks of the thing. I should probably handle one, when I get a chance.

dmanflynn
07-27-09, 23:18
I dont have any experience with these, but as someone earlier said here, the beretta's LOP would be a little more forgiving for someone of short stature. Im kinda short and have short ol arms that make some rifles just plain ridiculous to try and shoot off hand.

I have played with a few of the berettas and for a short armed person they fit suprisingly well, if you can get passed their butt ugliness:p However, if im not mistaken, the beretta carbines only take the px4 storm pistol mags, not the 92fs/m9 or 96 model mags which are WAY more popular. As where these little rugers take the P series mags which are fairly common. As far as mechanics, I can't really vouch for either one.

tpd223
07-27-09, 23:47
The Beretta can be had in a version that takes 92 magazines. This model is issued as a patrol rifle in St. Louis the last I knew.

In my experience both the Ruger and Beretta 9mm carbines are very reliable little guns.

dmanflynn
07-28-09, 10:14
Hmmm, thats neat, I didnt know they did. I always thought it would be a bright idea:p

carbinero
07-28-09, 10:55
I'm working through the same process for my Mom. Dad wants to get her a 20 gauge :eek:

I've had an M1 Carbine and a Kel Tec 9mm. Wouldn't go with either for this. The Ruger sounds like a good choice, and the Beretta should be considered. I saw pics of the new Hi Point, which looks interesting.

scottryan
07-28-09, 16:34
I'm working through the same process for my Mom. Dad wants to get her a 20 gauge :eek:

I've had an M1 Carbine and a Kel Tec 9mm. Wouldn't go with either for this. The Ruger sounds like a good choice, and the Beretta should be considered. I saw pics of the new Hi Point, which looks interesting.

I would take an M1 carbine over the Ruger PC. A service grade M1 carbine can be bought from the CMP at the same price as a Ruger PC.

The M1 carbine has more support for it. Parts are easier to find.

The M1 carbine fires a more potent cartridge.