PDA

View Full Version : 55g vs 60g

HwyKnight
07-02-09, 04:20
Been having some trouble getting my rifles zeroed in. I am shooting PMC bronze ammo, but recently heard that this ammo has very poor acuracy. I was then going to try some 60gr TAP ammo, but realized that most of the ammo I shoot is 55gr. The twist on both rifles is 1 in 9. Is there a big dif between the 60 and 55 for sighting purposes? Since I shoot mostly 55gr ammo should I use the 55gr TAP for sighting instead of the 60grTAP? Or is there another 55/60gr brand that is good for sighting?

tpd223
07-02-09, 06:37
We used to issue 60gr TAP for duty use and practice with Federal 55gr, either the AE stuff or the XM193, I never noticed a problem with POA/POI issues inside of 100 meters.

CarlosDJackal
07-03-09, 19:50
I use 55-grain FMJ for practice and training and zero for the 60-grain TAP for "duty" use without any noticable POI shift.

HwyKnight
07-03-09, 23:38
Thanks for the info.

C4IGrant
07-04-09, 09:42
Been having some trouble getting my rifles zeroed in. I am shooting PMC bronze ammo, but recently heard that this ammo has very poor acuracy. I was then going to try some 60gr TAP ammo, but realized that most of the ammo I shoot is 55gr. The twist on both rifles is 1 in 9. Is there a big dif between the 60 and 55 for sighting purposes? Since I shoot mostly 55gr ammo should I use the 55gr TAP for sighting instead of the 60grTAP? Or is there another 55/60gr brand that is good for sighting?

The PMC ammo is very poor quality.

60gr TAP might be the best ALL AROUND bullet (for 1/9-1/7 twists).

Will there be difference if your weapon is zero'd with 60gr TAP and you shoot PMC 55gr? Sure will. How much of a difference and or how much you notice it depends on the distances that you shoot at and what the accuracy capability of your barrel is.

C4

DJK
07-04-09, 10:58
"60gr TAP might be the best ALL AROUND bullet (for 1/9-1/7 twists"

Grant - FPD (83288) or Urban (83286)?

Thanks!!

98z28
07-04-09, 12:01
I use mostly 55gr loads for practice (Remington and even some Ultramax :eek:), but carry Federal 64 gr. TRU at work. I only have access to a 100 yard range, but I am unable to notice any change in POI between the Remington 55gr Core-Lokt and the 64gr TRU. Keep in mind that I am shooting it out of a BCM 16" middy with an Aimpoint H1. I have not put a magnified optic on it to really check for accuracy differences between the loads. Both loads give me roughly 3" groups at 100 yards.

DJK,

Not Grant, but I bet he was referring to the "Urban" load. The FPD loads tend to fragment a bit too soon for social purposes, despite the way Hornady markets them.

That said, I didn't realize the 60gr load had been tested by anyone. Do you have any further info Grant? We have a mix of 1/7 and 1/9 barrels at work, so I am always looking decent performing rounds that bridge the gap.

I have just been sticking to Doc's recomendations:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

C4IGrant
07-04-09, 12:13
"60gr TAP might be the best ALL AROUND bullet (for 1/9-1/7 twists"

Grant - FPD (83288) or Urban (83286)?

Thanks!!

LE (83286) is what I am talking about.

C4

C4IGrant
07-04-09, 12:16
I use mostly 55gr loads for practice (Remington and even some Ultramax :eek:), but carry Federal 64 gr. TRU at work. I only have access to a 100 yard range, but I am unable to notice any change in POI between the Remington 55gr Core-Lokt and the 64gr TRU. Keep in mind that I am shooting it out of a BCM 16" middy with an Aimpoint H1. I have not put a magnified optic on it to really check for accuracy differences between the loads. Both loads give me roughly 3" groups at 100 yards.

DJK,

Not Grant, but I bet he was referring to the "Urban" load. The FPD loads tend to fragment a bit too soon for social purposes, despite the way Hornady markets them.

That said, I didn't realize the 60gr load had been tested by anyone. Do you have any further info Grant? We have a mix of 1/7 and 1/9 barrels at work, so I am always looking decent performing rounds that bridge the gap.

My comments about "best" were based around PD or unit that had a mix of 1/9 twist and 1/7 weapons and want to standardize the ammo they buy.

If everyone is running 1/7 twist, then I would always go with the 75gr TAP or MK262.

C4

Molon
07-05-09, 13:50

DJK,

Other than the shiny nickel plated case that the 60 grain TAP FPD load comes in, it and the 60 grain TAP LE (Urban) load are the same load. They both use the 60 grain V-MAX bullet with a cannelure. They both are loaded to the same velocity; approximately 2925 fps from a 20” Colt barrel. They both display outstanding accuracy for a factory loaded round. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15 at 100 yards.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/vb3je0p6oc.jpg

Having said all that, both 60 grain TAP loads fail to meet the FBI’s minimum penetration requirements of 12 inches.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/hwue2bg5cs.jpg