PDA

View Full Version : 16" Mid-length build

graffex
01-21-07, 13:49
I'm planning on getting my first AR-15 built as soon as I get my pennies saved up. I'm going to start saving all my free money now because I'm looking to get this done ASAP, as there is a assault weapon ban getting ready to go through the state senate now which hopefully wont pass. I'm wanting a high-quality general purpose SHTF 16" mid-length rifle that is going to be equipped with a Acog in the future. This is the build I've come up with so far.

Upper: Larue Tactical Stealth Billet
Bolt/Carrier: Dennys Super Duty m16 BCG
Charging Handle: PRI Gas buster
Rail: Daniels Defense 9.0 Lite
Barrel: Dennys 16" mid-length operator w/standard FSB
Stock: Magpul UBR

I'll be adding a BUIS and a Acog scope afterwards as I get the funds. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? About How much will this setup run fully assembled?

AR-15A3
01-21-07, 14:23
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Alpha-Romeo3/Hunting/Colt6721OperatorMiddy-Eagle-SKD.jpg
I had my heavy duty general purpose middy carbine built about a year ago

Upper & Lower: Colt AR-15A3 AR6721 Tactical Carbine
Bolt/ Carrier: Colt M16 BCG
Charging Handle: Colt
Rail: LaRue 9.0
Barrel: Dennys 16" mid-length Operator w/standard 'F' FSB
Stock: Vltor club foot Modstock group
Grip: Magpul MIAD
BUIS: Troy FDE color
VFG & Rail panels: TangoDown
Optics: Aimpoint M2 with KAC straight mount
Tac light: Surefire M961C

I'm just going to get either an Aimpoint or EOTech magnifier and mount next.

I've heard that the LaRue Tactical Stealth Billet and the Daniels Defense 9.0 Lite rails might have a fitting problem, I could be wrong better make sure before you get them.

My setup weights about over 8 pounds which is a pound more than my other LMT 16" M4 government profile barrel with KAC M4 RAS rails, Vltor CAR Modstock and EOTech 551.

The cost should depend on how much you buy your components and either if you're going to build it yourself or have it custom built.

On your list you didn't list your lower receiver, do you already have it, that will add to the final cost and the ACOG (about more or less $1K just for optics).

graffex
01-21-07, 15:03
Nice rifle there AR-15A3.

I'm not aware of a potential fitting problem with the Larue Stealth and DD lite rails. Can anyone confirm this? If it's a problem I'll just go with the Larue 9.0 rail, I just prefer the DD due to the uninterrupted top rail.

I don't have the lower receiver yet but I'll be getting that soon, most likely a GTS lower although the MagPul and POF billet lowers sure do look nice.

I plan on getting this rifle built by someone as I have no experience building AR's and I want to be sure it is GTG.

C4IGrant
01-21-07, 15:15
Nice rifle there AR-15A3.

I'm not aware of a potential fitting problem with the Larue Stealth and DD lite rails. Can anyone confirm this? If it's a problem I'll just go with the Larue 9.0 rail, I just prefer the DD due to the uninterrupted top rail.

I don't have the lower receiver yet but I'll be getting that soon, most likely a GTS lower although the MagPul and POF billet lowers sure do look nice.

I plan on getting this rifle built by someone as I have no experience building AR's and I want to be sure it is GTG.

There are no issues with the DD rail and LT Stealth fitting. Another consideration (as the LT upper receivers are hard to get) is the VLTOR MUR.

If you need help with the build, I stock most all the components you are interesed in.

C4

graffex
01-21-07, 15:28
There are no issues with the DD rail and LT Stealth fitting. Another consideration (as the LT upper receivers are hard to get) is the VLTOR MUR.

If you need help with the build, I stock most all the components you are interesed in.

C4 Well, like I said I will definitely need someone to build it for me as I want to be sure it is GTG. I like the Vltor MUR also so that is definitely on the table if the Stealth isn't available. How much money can you build this set-up for Grant? I'm just need to know how much money I need to save :D

C4IGrant
01-21-07, 15:39
Well, like I said I will definitely need someone to build it for me as I want to be sure it is GTG. I like the Vltor MUR also so that is definitely on the table if the Stealth isn't available. How much money can you build this set-up for Grant? I'm just need to know how much money I need to save :D

Shoot me an e-mail and we can go over specifics. sales@grtactical.com

C4

graffex
01-21-07, 16:19
Shoot me an e-mail and we can go over specifics. sales@grtactical.com

C4

Email sent :D

AR-15A3
01-21-07, 16:56
rmdugan84,

I was mistaken with the DD Lite rails and LaRue billet uppers.

It's actually the LaRue forends and the Vltor MUR, the anti rotating device of the LaRue won't fit one side of the MUR upper, either a portion of the LaRue hardware have to be modified slightly or a small area of the MUR upper relieved.

Since your're going to use a DD Lite rail no problem.

Good luck on your build.

SuicideHz
01-21-07, 18:54
You need to get your lower fast if you are worried about MD's goofy new ban. Don't worry about most of that other crap- especially the Gas Buster. Why is it that you want a gas buster? You aren't going to necessarily have a great rifle just because you bought one of each of the most expensive parts...

C4IGrant
01-22-07, 09:16
You need to get your lower fast if you are worried about MD's goofy new ban. Don't worry about most of that other crap- especially the Gas Buster. Why is it that you want a gas buster? You aren't going to necessarily have a great rifle just because you bought one of each of the most expensive parts...

I don't know why the poster wants the PRI GB CH, but I will tell you why I use in every personal weapon.

Standard $20 charging handles are fragile and have seen a good number of them break at training classes (split and crack in the middle). I have also had the opportunity to try and remove a stuck case with a cheap CH. I basically broke the CH in half and case was still stuck in the chamber. :(

I have had stuck cases with a PRI CH and NEVER had one break on me. The reason is that the PRI's are steel and the regular CH's are Alum (sometimes pot metal). Not to mention that there Military latch is very good and easy on the hands during speed clear drills.

Break a CH trying to get a stuck case out and you will never go back. ;)

C4

Jeff308
01-22-07, 12:37
The reason is that the PRI's are steel and the regular CH's are Alum (sometimes pot metal). Not to mention that there Military latch is very good and easy on the hands during speed clear drills.

Break a CH trying to get a stuck case out and you will never go back. ;)

C4

I did not know the PRI's were steel. I think I've have an alum CH with a military latch installed.

C4IGrant
01-22-07, 12:41
I did not know the PRI's were steel. I think I've have an alum CH with a military latch installed.

Yes. They are the only steel CH available (to my knowledge). Its ability to push gas away is nice as well, but that has never been the reason why I buy them.

C4

Robb Jensen
01-22-07, 14:23
The 5 I have are aluminum, 4 w/military latch and one with a flat latch.

C4IGrant
01-22-07, 14:48
The 5 I have are aluminum, 4 w/military latch and one with a flat latch.

Now that is VERY interesting. As I pull the one out of my gun and look at it, it has the word "steel" stamped on it. So I called PRI and asked them if they ever made them out of steel and they said no! They did say that I could have gotten one that said Steel on it (by mistake). I have been telling people all this time that they are Steel because of the one I have. :rolleyes:

They did say that they use the best Alum. available (7076) which is why I haven't been able to break one. :D

I am off to look at all my others and see if I have any more of these "collector editions." ;)

C4

militarymoron
01-22-07, 14:48
Yes. They are the only steel CH available (to my knowledge).
miculek also makes a steel CH.

9DivDoc
01-22-07, 15:47
Now that is VERY interesting. As I pull the one out of my gun and look at it, it has the word "steel" stamped on it. So I called PRI and asked them if they ever made them out of steel and they said no! They did say that I could have gotten one that said Steel on it (by mistake). I have been telling people all this time that they are Steel because of the one I have. :rolleyes:

They did say that they use the best Alum. available (7076) which is why I haven't been able to break one. :D

I am off to look at all my others and see if I have any more of these "collector editions." ;)

C4

You could always check it with one of those tactical refrigerator magnets :)

C4IGrant
01-22-07, 15:51
You could always check it with one of those tactical refrigerator magnets :)

LOL, funny guy! I just kind of took it for what its worth and never thought differently.

C4

mtdawg169
01-22-07, 16:11
miculek also makes a steel CH.

available where?

uranus
01-22-07, 17:14
available where?

http://www.gunaccessories.com/AR15-M16Parts/UpperReceiverAccess.asp

Resq47
01-22-07, 17:26
There's also brownell's PN: 231-000-166

I'm thinking that's the Miculek steel CH that was formerly listed on pkfirearms' site.

graffex
01-27-07, 15:59
Check you email Grant :)

sharps54
01-27-07, 20:12
This may be a silly question but are there any potential issues with running a steel CH in an AR upper?

Hoplophile
01-27-07, 23:59
This may be a silly question but are there any potential issues with running a steel CH in an AR upper?
You're running a steel bolt carrier in that same AR upper, right?

sharps54
01-29-07, 13:31
Hoplophile,
Hey, I warned you it might be a stupid question! :D

Obiwan
01-29-07, 14:08
The Brownells unit is reportedly made by (or sold by) DPMS

graffex
02-01-07, 19:05
Thinking about going with a low-profile gas block and a longer rail now. What do you guys think about a rifle length rail (12") with a 16" barrel? How does it balance? Need some insperational pics ;)

graffex
02-01-07, 20:51
Stickman I know you have alot of nice pictures, got anything for me?

C4IGrant
02-02-07, 08:38
Thinking about going with a low-profile gas block and a longer rail now. What do you guys think about a rifle length rail (12") with a 16" barrel? How does it balance? Need some insperational pics ;)

That is one of the most popular builds that I do.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/16%20Recon%20DD%2012%20MUR.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/MUR%20LT%2012%20Recon3.JPG

adh
02-02-07, 18:52

good idea...I'm considering pulling my SPR barrel to do the same after reading this http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=219&t=152797

edited to add that I'm not considering it...gonna do it but hate to pull the barrel and wait on a new one...want to buy the new barrel then sell the old one but cash is tight right now

Navy87Guy
02-03-07, 08:29
good idea...I'm considering pulling my SPR barrel to do the same after reading this http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=219&t=152797

edited to add that I'm not considering it...gonna do it but hate to pull the barrel and wait on a new one...want to buy the new barrel then sell the old one but cash is tight right now

Another option could be the Daniel Defense 12" FSPM, which allows you to use the original FSB on your 16" midlength barrel. It comes in either the M4 or Lite Rail style (lite rail goes back and meets with A3 upper rail; M4 style does not). They're a bit pricey, but saves the trouble of having to change the gas block.

Jim

graffex
02-03-07, 14:08
Well, I'm not going to be the one changing the gasblock so its not really a issue. I'd just prefer to have nothing in my line of sight when I get my optic. I'm planning on getting a Acog and my cousin recommends to get the low profile gasblock because his FSB can be seen through his Acog which is a minor annoyance.

graffex
02-03-07, 14:36
deleted