PDA

View Full Version : POF GEN III Lowers???

DMR
07-02-09, 09:23
Not much discussion of the POF GEN III lowers here it seems. I posted in another thread about looking at a build that included a POF lower. I have several in stock options for them, but before I make the leap I'm looking for feedback on them.

About the only consitant piece of info I have found on them is that the amg well is tighter then some others. The result is that the P-Mags will frequently need to be trimed. Other then that not much. The POF and Magpul/Noveske lowers look every similure also.

Why the POF? I'm looking at a test build that meets the following portions of objectives that were provided to me:

The Carbine will provide a more reliable, durable, and modular individual weapon that is easier to maintain, features ambidextrous controls, and has better ergonomic features than current weapon systems.
The best Commercial-Off-The-Shelf solutions industry has.

Capabilities:
Carbine will provide accurate and reliable firepower.
Integrated rails will accept Mil-Std-1913 rail mounted accessories.
Fully ambidextrous.

The SCAR is more then likely going to be the final answer to this, or perhaps the Remingtom ACR, who knows. Maybe it will just be a product improved Colt.

Until then I'm looking at something more ARish. So what are the thoughts on the POF Lower? Besides I can buy 2-3 Standard lowers for the same price:(

TUNNEL RAT 33
07-02-09, 10:56
yes pmags wouldnt drop free from my gen III, just some sanding on them to solve that problem . the only other gripe i have is that my bolt catch hole is slightly out of spec - not allowing the bolt to lock to the rear on any mags i put in now and its to the point now that i cant even lock the bolt back manually. i like the looks of the lower, and the ambi control is a nice feature however once the magpul BAD comes out it wont matter. i just ordered a noveske lower to replace it .and yes i did replace all the bolt catch parts with quality parts 3 times to no effect. good luck

MovinMan
07-03-09, 02:09
I have one and I love it.....my favorite lower actually.

I have beat on it pretty hard and never had a problem. Pmags drop clear from the well with no mods and with a Redi-Mag, the ambi bolt release is awesome....slick as snot and the fastest re-loads possible.

http://gallery.me.com/spaceflipper/101077/DSC_0161/web.jpg?ver=12430619140001

kmrtnsn
07-03-09, 10:12
Has anyone gotten a hold of the Bohica Arms lower yet?

http://www.primalrights.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=10

DMR
07-03-09, 10:27
I have one and I love it.....my favorite lower actually.

I have beat on it pretty hard and never had a problem. Pmags drop clear from the well with no mods and with a Redi-Mag, the ambi bolt release is awesome....slick as snot and the fastest re-loads possible.

http://gallery.me.com/spaceflipper/101077/DSC_0161/web.jpg?ver=12430619140001

Looks like the combo I was looking for. VIS upper with the POF Lower. How is the fit between the upper and lower?

DMR
07-09-09, 11:17
sooo.....I'm also following the Forged AR Lower thread and the POF seems to meet the 7075 T-6 "best of both worlds"

P-415, Gen III billet machined 7075 T-6 Aircraft aluminum alloy

But the sounds of silence seem to reflect little interst in POF. Or is this a "step away from the crack pipe" moment?

I'll go back to work on equipping matrixs now, man I hate my day job:(

Thanks

This also traces back to this thread which is now out:https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33939

In November, gun makers from across the country attended an Army small-arms industry day in November designed to give weapons officials a look at what is available on the commercial market. There, Army Secretary Pete Geren announced that he had directed the Army’s Infantry Center at Fort Benning, Ga., to update the carbine requirement in preparation for a search for a replacement for the M4.

“If there are no significant issues, I think [the updated requirement] can move through” the Army validation process and receive the blessing of the Joint Requirements Oversight Council, Tamilio said.

If that happens, the Army plans to release a draft request for proposal to the small-arms industry in October and a formal RFP early next year, weapons officials maintain.

The first round of testing will likely begin late next summer and last though summer 2011.

Once a weapon is selected in late fiscal 2011, weapons officials hope to have operational testing and a full rate-production decision by late summer in 2012, Tamilio said.

One of the most critical parts of this process will be the three to five months between the draft RFP and the release of the formal RFP, when the industry has the chance to digest and understand what the Army wants in a new carbine, he said.

Outlander Systems
07-16-09, 23:26
I've been back and forth about getting a custom build going. I swore I'd never buy a factory AR again, and that the next one would be a custom job.

I was deciding between the POF and a C3 Defense lower for the project.

I'm about a gnat's ass away from picking one of these up tomorrow; however, to anyone who's built on one:

What LPK did you use?

Any issues, problems that were encountered with this platform vs. others you've done?

I have a feeling the C3 Defense lower would be infinitely more straightforward, especially for a first-build, but I'm leaning very heavily toward the POF.

My primary concern is the ambi-bolt release installation may be a bitch for a rookie.

dragonfly
07-17-09, 01:40
I pondered the GenIII. Pretty top heavy in $.

Rainier has POF Gen 1s, but Mega just released a billet of their own. $175 is a no brainer for me at half of a Gen III and $50 less than a Gen I.

Unless the QA bites, then the joke's on me.

DMR
08-07-09, 14:19
The moment of truth has come. Noveske is shipping my 18" SPR 5.56mm Upper with VIS today. I asked about the MagPul lowers again. No dice, unless they do another run of rifles, Drake and crew cast pity on me, ect... I'm not getting a MagPul/Noveske lower.

So one last pass of the crack pipe. As a left handed shooter that spent 20 years on as issued M-4/M-16's is the POF worth the extra $100 over the Noveske?

Thanks