PDA

View Full Version : "Best Value" AR?

Tomac
07-02-09, 15:06
I'm aware of the quality (and price) of Tier-1 AR's like the Colt 6920, what might be considered the "best value" or "bang for the buck" AR for moderate but not extremely heavy use? Thx!...
Tomac

CryingWolf
07-02-09, 15:36
I found my S&W M&P15A for under a grand but this was before Obama hit the fan. If prices do come back down to pre Obama gun sale prices. I think S&W, and I hear Charles Daly carbines are good.

Jeep297
07-02-09, 15:37
In my opinion its hard to beat BCM when you compare quality/cost.

uspopo
07-02-09, 15:39
Daniel Defense XV

Cameron
07-02-09, 15:58
Daniel Defense XV

+1

http://riflegear.com/p-585-daniel-defense-xv.aspx

C4IGrant
07-02-09, 16:08
Best "value" you would have to be one of these three:

1. BCM Upper, Lower and BCG.
2. LMT Upper, Lower and BCG.
3. DD XV

By buying the upper and lower seperately, you avoid FET (FYI).

C4

nchronis
07-02-09, 16:08
Prices in my area (Albuquerque NM) seem to be moderating and there are more ARs on the dealers shelves now. I've seen the prices of the available M4 type rifles come down considerably, especially the Bushmaster guns, which are the most common here. They are down from $1,200 to $1.300 a couple of months ago to the $900 range. Those would qualify for what you are looking for, not top tier, but still a solid carbine. The S&W M&P guns are now in the $1,100 range and also are in the same general category IMO.

C4IGrant
07-02-09, 16:09
Prices in my area (Albuquerque NM) seem to be moderating and there are more ARs on the dealers shelves now. I've seen the prices of the available M4 type rifles come down considerably, especially the Bushmaster guns, which are the most common here. They are down from $1,200 to $1.300 a couple of months ago to the $900 range. Those would qualify for what you are looking for, not top tier, but still a solid carbine. The S&W M&P guns are now in the $1,100 range and also are in the same general category IMO.

No need to spend $900 + on a BM, when you can get a "tier 1" are for around the same price.

You can pick up S&W AR's for around $850-$950 (depending on model).

C4

CaptainDooley
07-02-09, 16:14

3. DD XV

C4

This.

M4arc
07-02-09, 16:15
In my opinion the beast value in ARs right now is BCM.

Tomac
07-02-09, 16:22
3. DD XV
C4

IM sent, thx!...
Tomac

adh
07-02-09, 16:25

3. DD XV

C4

+1 to that

only problem is completing your lower with a quality LPK (unless you've got those back in stock Grant.

Fora complete rifle the DD XV and you'd have to buy it from Grant. PM him for M4C member pricing....I was really surprised.

Dunderway
07-02-09, 16:55
+1 to that

only problem is completing your lower with a quality LPK (unless you've got those back in stock Grant.

Fora complete rifle the DD XV and you'd have to buy it from Grant. PM him for M4C member pricing....I was really surprised.

I think that Grant still has them, but only if you also buy a lower.

I am pretty confident that BCM would only use the best in their complete lowers.

Spooky130
07-02-09, 17:13
In my opinion the beast value in ARs right now is BCM.

You are wrong! BCMs are garbage and no one in their right mind should buy one! Stay away!

Spooky

This applies until I get all I want...

Jeep297
07-02-09, 17:17
I think that Grant still has them, but only if you also buy a lower.

I am pretty confident that BCM would only use the best in their complete lowers.

I just picked up my BCM lower earlier today and it looks great. I always trust BCM to put out quality products.

WillieFlo
07-03-09, 02:59
Why get second tier when you can get a Daniel Defense XV for $1099-$1149 right now. I've got a local dealer who is selling me one for $1099 + 8.25% tax next week. GT Distributors in Austin,Tx has them on order for $1149.99...

Failure2Stop
07-03-09, 05:02
I look at "value" in the AR world to imply that I will not have to do anything to the gun to make it satisfactory, at an acceptable price. In my limited experience, the BCM is just about right for a GP gun, especially if you go with a package deal and get all the crap you want already stuck to it.

GNXII
07-03-09, 11:32
Daniel Defense, S&W MP series, Charles Daly(LE /Mil versions) and Colt (6920 and 6940) are great values and now I'm starting to see more on dealers shelves and online. Companies may be catching up with the crushing post election demand for ARs. Pistols are still tough to get. Ammo though is bad, price wise and availiability. I fear the days of inexpensive surplus 5.56, 7.62 x39, and 7.62x51 are gone or will be shortly. :(

tango-papa
07-03-09, 12:01
Why get second tier when you can get a Daniel Defense XV for $1099-$1149 right now. I've got a local dealer who is selling me one for $1099 + 8.25% tax next week. GT Distributors in Austin,Tx has them on order for $1149.99...

1. Name the dealer. Is this their 'standard' everybody price or a 'special' price for you.
2. I could order one from Grant (web site price listed as $1139) and with s/h (assume $15) and transfer fee (my ffl charges $20), add another pmag and still have change for a coke. :D And without checking with G&R, I'll guess the member price is a bit better than web-listed. Plus you'd be supporting a forum sponsor.

~tp

-----> Must resist...

C4IGrant
07-03-09, 12:10
2. I could order one from Grant (web site price listed as $1139) and with s/h (assume $15) and transfer fee (my ffl charges $20), add another pmag and still have change for a coke. :D And without checking with G&R, I'll guess the member price is a bit better than web-listed. Plus you'd be supporting a forum sponsor.

~tp

You would be correct. ;)

C4

Fire_Medic
07-03-09, 12:44
1. Name the dealer. Is this their 'standard' everybody price or a 'special' price for you.

~tp

-----> Must resist...

Wish I would have known about member pricing before I ordered my BCM lower. :confused:

Oh well, can't wait to pick it up on Monday at my FFL. :D

C4IGrant
07-03-09, 12:51
Wish I would have known about member pricing before I ordered my BCM lower. :confused:

Oh well, can't wait to pick it up on Monday at my FFL. :D

We do not offer discounts on BCM Gear.

C4

Fire_Medic
07-03-09, 13:17
We do not offer discounts on BCM Gear.

C4

Gotcha. :cool:

Dunderway
07-03-09, 18:51
Three months ago, the best value for me was to buy a BCM upper and build from there. Now I am kicking myself because BCM lowers are available.

If I had it to do all over again I would build a complete BCM through Grant (I think he has everthing in stock) or just buy the new basic DD M4. The new DD just makes so much more sense to me than anything else, that I might just buy one for the hell of it.

Tomac
07-03-09, 19:39
Is there enough practical difference between the DD VX & the 6920 to justify the price difference (appx $200)?
Tomac

Dunderway
07-03-09, 20:02
Is there enough practical difference between the DD VX & the 6920 to justify the price difference (appx $200)?
Tomac

I would honestly lean towards the DD VX even if they were the same price.

DD pros:

1. Good BUIS; instead of paying for a carry handle that you will likely never use, and then buying a BUIS.

2. Cold hammer forged barrel; which might not be noticeable but is still a plus in terms of value.