PDA

View Full Version : Numbering magazines?

jbsmwd
07-03-09, 01:30
So what do you guy's use to number your magazines?

I have PMAG's, GI mags, 10/22, L1A1, Jericho 45, XD 45, and Ruger 22/45. I am asking the question because I tired of re-writting the numbers on my XD mags when I swap out mag every so often. Right now I'm using a black Sharpie pen and it rubs off the XD mags. The 22/45 is not an issue do to placement of the numbers. The rest of them are issues. I don't like the idea of paint since it can flake/peel off. The other idea I have is engraving the number into the body of the mag.

Any comments or ideas?

subzero
07-03-09, 01:42
Paint pen on the floorplate for pistol mags.

For mags where the paint won't stick (M&P mags and 1911's) I'll try and carve a number into the floorplate with a dremel, then fill that with paint. It's crude and ugly but so am I.

AR or AK mags, paint pen anywhere that it won't rub off.

If it does come off, re-apply. That's one reason why I keep a paint pen in the range box.

seb5
07-03-09, 08:28
Glock mags get a paint pen. AR mags get sharpie marked with my initials, alpha, then numeric. HRA1, HRA2, then the B series HRB1, etc. I've got several sets and this helps me to keep track of those I use.

markm
07-03-09, 08:44
I have bar codes on my mags and I run a scan gun in a thigh rig. I scan all the mags in and out of the weapon.

Bimmer
07-03-09, 08:50
I have bar codes on my mags and I run a scan gun in a thigh rig. I scan all the mags in and out of the weapon.

That's soooo 1990s. I'm using RFID chips. I just put one in the base plate of each mag, and I've got readers built into my mag wells and the door frame of my house and the back of my car. After I go to the range my system e-mails my Blackberry to tell me which mags I used...

Seriously, I used the lame little round stickers from the supply cabinet at work. Different colors on different guns' magazines, and then a Sharpie to write the numbers. So far, it works, though I'm not very tough on my equipment...

Bimmer

markm
07-03-09, 08:51
That's soooo 1990s. I'm using RFID chips. I just put one in the base plate of each mag, and I've got readers built into my mag wells and the door frame of my house and the back of my car. After I go to the range my system e-mails my Blackberry to tell me which mags I used...

That is sweet!