PDA

View Full Version : NYPD rookie makes arrest moments after graduation

JSandi
07-03-09, 04:06
NYPD rookie makes arrest moments after graduation

NEW YORK – A New York Police Department rookie just couldn't wait to get started.
One of the NYPD's newest officers made his first arrest Thursday just minutes after graduating from the Police Academy in a ceremony at Madison Square Garden.
Officer Dariel Firpo, 23, was leaving the midtown Manhattan ceremony when he saw a 79-year-old man being robbed of his wallet and thrown to the ground by a mugger, police said.
The mugger tried to run away, but Firpo caught him without incident, they said.
"Officer Firpo made us all proud," police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. "He's off to a great start."
The man Firpo arrested, Jeffrey Grant, was being charged with robbery. Grant, 47, has 48 previous arrests and was just released last week from Sing Sing Correctional Facility in Ossining, N.Y., after serving time for a robbery conviction, police said.
Grant, of Manhattan, was in custody late Thursday and couldn't be contacted. The name of his attorney wasn't yet on record.
The mugging victim was treated at a hospital for a broken wrist.
Firpo's feat "may be the fastest police action upon graduation in department history," said chief police spokesman Paul Browne, who was at the graduation ceremony for the class of 250 new officers.
Firpo, who graduated from Lehman College in January with a degree in political science, said he wants to focus on community affairs while working in the nation's biggest police department.
"I'm really trying to stick in the community," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090703/ap_on_re_us/us_odd_rookie_arrest

Failure2Stop
07-03-09, 04:09
Good job dude.

Gentoo
07-03-09, 04:26
HAHA nice one

cobra90gt
07-03-09, 05:23
Suspect had 48 prior arrests. That's it? LOL What an outstanding citizen. :p :D

Erk1015
07-03-09, 06:08
Don't worry guys, 49th time is the charm. He'll be rehabilitated for sure this time. :rolleyes: Is there any law that if you get 50 arrests then it's an automatic death penalty? If not then I vote we go ahead and kick this off in a few months when this guy gets released for good behavior and robs somebody else.

Abraxas
07-03-09, 06:11
Don't worry guys, 49th time is the charm. He'll be rehabilitated for sure this time. :rolleyes: Is there any law that if you get 50 arrests then it's an automatic death penalty? If not then I vote we go ahead and kick this off in a few months when this guy gets released for good behavior and robs somebody else.

Agreed

Cold Zero
07-03-09, 07:30
Heads up Police Work.

Bpurcg19
07-03-09, 07:38
Very cool. Good to see.

Detective_D
07-03-09, 08:58
And here I thought I was doing good when I made an arrest on my first call riding with my FTO.

Awesome Job!!
~D

iroc_dis
07-03-09, 10:22
Haha that is pretty funny picturing him in his dress uniform tearing ass after the mugger and tackling him. Way to go kid:D

5pins
07-03-09, 11:57
47 years old and 48 arrests that’s one a year assuming he was arrested at birth. More then likely this is only his adult record. So if you take 17 away from 47 you get 30. That’s 1.6 arrest a year. So much for the term “Correctional Facility”