PDA

View Full Version : Vltor Scout light mount article

gunwriter
07-04-09, 19:49
Here's a short article on Vltor's Scout Light mount.

Vltor Scout light mount (http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=570&Itemid=75)

This is a really nice and very light mount for a tactical light

what do you think?

SMJayman
07-04-09, 21:47
I've got one of their mounts and a Surefire G2 LED sitting in it. It is about as light as you can get and still get decent illumination. 80 lumens, and since it is LED, 12 hours of usable light. (Nowhere near 80 lumens as the batteries run down, but still useful.) I've shot carbine classes with it attached, and no issues. It isn't the highest dollar solution, but it may be the handiest.

tweakmeister
07-05-09, 08:49
I bought two of these to run Surefire 6p's on a KAC RAS and DD Lite rails. When finger-tight, they would shake loose after a few hundred rounds. I've since applied blue locktite and used channel locks to tighten the things down - seems to work, but they are no longer easy to quickly remove.

In contrast to something like a Larue mount for the same light, they are lighter and lay closer to the rail.

sonrider657
07-05-09, 18:53
The Vltor has one mechanism that has to secure both the mount to the rail and the light in the mount. Not the best design IMO.

I would consider an offset mount by LaRue, Elzetta, or Daniel Defense.

NetJunkie
07-05-09, 19:07
Would love to do a Larue but the light just sits too far off the rail. The Vltor is at the perfect location. If you search there is a thread showing the position comparison for the common light mounts. Larue was the furthest out. Vltor is perfect (for me).

tweakmeister
07-05-09, 22:07
The Surefire Scout in a Larue mount is almost identical to the 6p in one of these Vltor mounts. Cost is a huge difference...Vltor is a better deal if it works.

ST911
07-05-09, 22:29
Here's a short article on Vltor's Scout Light mount. This is a really nice and very light mount for a tactical light what do you think?

I like articles that introduce new gear, discuss new testing, or new and compelling ways to utilize gear already in existence. The VLTOR mount has been out for quite awhile. Perhaps the target audience for circulation benefits more from that work.

On the VLTOR mount specifically, I've used the larger and smaller mounts. They work as advertised, and are a quality build. As with any screw, they should be regularly checked for tightness and witnessed marked for visual warning of a problem.

Current preference in the less expensive light mounts is the VTAC.