PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade To FF or No?

No Bananas
07-04-09, 22:19
Thinking about Upgrading my 12.5". Want it to be a go to SD and one I shoot the heck out of too. I've shoot about 100 rds. at 50 yds. with the back up sights. It's has good accuracy and I'm sure it'll be better when I put an Aimpoint on it. It's 100% reliable! It's a GTS Operator barrel, and I'm wondering if I should max the accuracy out of it. I'm planning on shooting 50-100 yds. Very occasionally, I'll shot it out to 200 just for grins and giggles. It is a SBR, so I have to consider how much or little accuracy would be effected for my intended distances (100 yds. and less). I'm aware the FFs also have other benefits.

Or should I save the money to put a FF on my upcoming 16" build?

UPGRADE
-Have FSB milled down/replaced w/ low profile gas block
-Replace standard two-piece rail w/ Free Float
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm227/sjmarten/100_1734.jpg

LOKNLOD
07-04-09, 22:49
If you do decide to go FF, put a longer rail on it and do the 12:00 light mount setup. That, plus having room to get your hand further out, are the reasons I'd look at to justify a FF rail on the SBR.

Magsz
07-04-09, 22:54
Do you NEED those rails?

If not then i say keep what you've got. Why spend more money on something that will probably provide an intangible benefit?

If you're the type of shooter that can seriously wring every scrap of accuracy out of your tool then i would say make sure your tool doesnt let YOU down.

For most of us guys, adding all kinds of doodadds and whatnot will not turn us into better shots. These guns are generally mechanically more accurate than we are.

My first couple of AR's were ass freaking backwards. I built them with specific intentions in mind but my concerns were centered around the wrong things. My most recent build lacks a rail all together and i currently shoot this carbine better than any of my other builds.

Unless you think you want to push your reaction hand out further on a longer rail i would say stick with what you've got and spend that money on some training or ammo.

No Bananas
07-05-09, 01:53
I don't need my left/reaction hand out further (I'm right handed). Any further out would be too far (for me).

No Bananas
07-05-09, 20:36
Is there a consensus on whether the FF enhances bolt life/wear?

openbolt
07-06-09, 23:13
Is there a consensus on whether the FF enhances bolt life/wear?

I voted no. Spend that extra money on ammo. As far as bolt wear/life relating to a free float forend? Uh, that's a new one on me. Can't see how that could possibly have any relationship to one another...unless I'm misunderstanding.

BTW, I have a Noveske 12.5" Crusader barrel on my SBR that's chambered in 6.8spc and yep it wears a 9" LaRue rail. I would rather have the F height FSB that you are running on it but the barrel is not set up for a std FSB. I run mine with iron sights so I for one am not getting my moneys worth ($290) but I do like the Surefire light hanging on there.

openbolt

No Bananas
07-10-09, 21:14
Bump Bump Bump

Harv
07-10-09, 21:20
Are you outshooting the gun in it's current configuration???
If your not sure, then you answered your question, you don't need to FF a 12.5" barreled gun that is set up for CQB....

Cagemonkey
07-10-09, 21:24
With a 12.5" barrel and the fact its not selective fire, its my opinion a freefloating rail won't make any considerable improvement. You could upgrade to the DD Omega rail and not require any modification to the upper.

Failure2Stop
07-11-09, 05:23
I have shot 10.5 guns with non-free float KAC rails out to 500 meters on pop-up targets. However, pushing 500 with a 10.5 gun is past the expected performance envelope of the platform.

One of the things that FF does with direct relevance to performance is greatly reduce the effect of pressure on the handguard- whether from grip, sling tension, or support. However- the real benefit is for precision use at distances past 200 meters for all practical use.

A 12:00 light is great, but a simple angle mount or FSB mount gives practically the same result at a lower price-point.

If I had the same gun I would mount a T-1 (not necessary if you don't intend on using NV, in which case I would go with an H-1), stick on a Streamlight TLR-1 with an MI FSB mount, and put on a VCAS sling. The HG is fine.