PDA

View Full Version : Best all around stock for 16" AR...

bjw182005
07-05-09, 01:22
What are your opinions on the best all around stock for a 16" AR? I am very familiar and comfortable with the standard M4 stock, but I am looking to upgrade. I have seen a good number of people running the Magpul CTR and UBR. I have also seen a fair amount of people using a Sopmod stock (LMT, etc..). What is your idea of the best stock out there right now? My rifle will be primarily used for HD, tactical carbine courses, and a LOT of time at the range. I am not too concerned with extreme precision as that will come with the next project. Have an SPR in the works too. Also, looking for a stock that fit right on with no modification. I will be running it on an M&P 15T, believe it has a milspec tube. But anyway, let me hear what you've got to say. Thanks.

grimm
07-05-09, 01:29
The Magpul MOE is nice for the price. The money you save can go to the purchase of a good optic.

bkb0000
07-05-09, 01:38
the closest thing to "best" stock available on the market is the UBR, in my opinion. they're so mother-sucking expensive i've never owned one, but it's the only telescoping stock with a fixed cheekweld. they do require modification of the weapon, are hard to find, are really expensive for a stock, and are on the heavy side.

aside from that, the m4 is the "best all-around stock." anything else is gonna be mission-specific, or just user preference. if you don't know what you want in a stock, run the M4 until you DO know. then you'll have your answer.

and that's gonna be about the best advice anyone can give, homie.

bjw182005
07-05-09, 01:45
Well I already have an Aimpoint M3. I'm starting to streamline my final product at this point. Still looking for a good quality sling, rail mount sling swivel, and maybe a more beneficial flash hider/suppressor.

bjw182005
07-05-09, 01:52
Well, I am looking for something lightweight, providing a solid and repeatable cheekweld. If it has storage compartments, that's a plus. The Sopmod style stocks look decent, but I am curious as to if they are worth the money. The UBR seems alright, but I am trying to find something I can throw right on and get to training. Thanks for all the advice so far and keep it coming.

rainman
07-05-09, 05:49
I've been very happy with the Vltor EMod...

http://www.vltor.com/emod_gallery.htm

-Rainman

Abraxas
07-05-09, 06:11
I like E-mod's

SwatDawg15
07-05-09, 06:30
I run CTR's. Its simple, light and is what the M4 stock should have always been IMO. I like the friction lock for precision shots. and the QD outlet comes in handy. I will try the UBR for some of my muzzle heavy systems once the supply catches up, and prices go down.

Iraqgunz
07-05-09, 06:34
BJW,

There probably isn't such a thing as "the all around best stock". There are certainly lots of choices though. What you need to decide is what are you willing to spend, will it fit your body style and what are your intended uses. Some stocks work better than others in certain situations. I have an EMOD on one, a UBR on another and a Magpul MOE on another. When I do my next two builds one will be using my other UBR and the other will have an EMOD as well.

My only advice would be NOT to settle for a cheap POS because you feel you need a different stock. Hold out and get what you want or leave the original on.

Failure2Stop
07-05-09, 07:47
The stock that I would call the closest to perfection would be the UBR.
I like the CTR and the SOPMOD, but the UBR is great on everything from 14.5 carbines up through 18" SPRs. I haven't used one on an 11 inch category gun, but others have said that they are nice. Likewise I have not used one on a 20" gun, but the weight distribution seems better than any other collapsible option.

The only modification it requires to the lower receiver is removal of the end-plate (if you are using a receiver with a collapsible stock), and swapping the receiver extensions. The trouble is worth it, in my opinion.

kaiservontexas
07-05-09, 11:49
I like the CTR. I put one on my build.

FMF_Doc
07-05-09, 12:29
I like the LMT Sopmod stock, but have been interested in the MOE furniture now as well.

The "best" stock is one that has the features you want and need.

Redhat
07-05-09, 12:30
I like the CTR or MOE it's little bro. :cool:

LettersFromEarth
07-05-09, 12:37
My choices would be:

1) CTR

2) MOE

3) Sully

Good luck and post some pix when you get a chance.

RojasTKD
07-05-09, 13:01
Well, I'm poor and can't spend big bucks on a stock. I just use that standard M4 stock with a CAA Stock saddle. For $20 it works and is a cheap upgrade. I get a better check weld and some additional storage and have more money for more important things, like optics or ammo. Let be honest some of the prices for these things are crazy.

Yes, my stock still has a little wobble, but once it's shouldered you don't notice it.

Am I only one one that just adds a stock saddle?

BAC
07-05-09, 15:59
I rather like my A1 stock for my middy.

-B

SWATcop556
07-05-09, 18:11
I use different stocks for different applications. I don't believe that there is a "one stock fits all" out there. My preference runs somewhere along these lines:

On SBR's I prefer the CTR stock

On a Midlength/ SPR I prefer a UBR

On a Carbine I prefer either a CTR or a SOPMOD

USMC03 (Jeff) posted this a while back. Makes for a good read and if you follow his advice I think you will be happy.

"-The UBR balances well on guns with 14.5" or longer barrels with a longer rail system (ie. 10.0, 11.0, 12.0, 13.2, etc)

-Do I like the UBR more than the SOPMOD? I like certain stocks on certain guns.

Here is something I wrote a few months ago, when asked about different stocks:

Comparing a Magpul CTR stock to a Magpul UBR stock is like comparing a compact economy car to a full sized truck. Yes they both have 4 wheels and an engine, but that is where the liknesses end.

The CTR and the UBR have different missions, just like a compact economy car and a full sized truck have different missions.

The UBR may not feel at home on a short, light carbine or SBR with a short rail system / handguard. And the CTR may not feel at home on a 16" carbine with a 12.0 rail system or a 20" rifle........but the CTR would balance out the short guns, and the UBR would feel at home on the 16" carbine w/ 12.0 rail system or 20" rifle.

Something I have learned about AR's over the years is, it's a game of matching the right part with the right gun. You may try a stock on a 10.5" SBR and hate it, and then try the same stock on a 16" mid-length carbine and fall in love with it.

There are some accessories that I like across the board on all AR's, there are other accessories that I may like on a 11.5" SBR but not like on a 16" Mid-Length or a 20" Rifle.

Stocks can:

1) help balance out a rifle

2) or if the stock too big or heavy can dominate the gun

3) and if it's too small or too light can make the gun feel muzzle heavy

After trying several different configurations over the year, at the current time I have found that I like Magpul CTR's on SBR's and some 14.5" M4's, but I don't like Mapgul CTR's on 16" barreled mid-lengths or 14.5" guns with longer rail systems (9.0 - 13.2). The Magpul CTR is a light weight stock and doesn't balance out a front heavy carbine well.

-SOPMODs (for me) fit perfectly on a 14.5" M4, but can also balance most SBR's and mid-lengths out fairly well.

-Vltor EMods and Magpul UBRs balance out 16" Mid-Lenghts and most 18" gun with rifle length gas tubes quite well.

As a general rule *I* run:

-Magpul CTR's on SBR's (short barreled rifle) and some 14.5" M4's (with carbine length (7.0) rail system or standard carbine handguards)

-LMT SOPMOD stocks on 14.5" M4's and SBR's with long rail systems

-EMods and Magpul UBR's on 16" mid-lengths

-Magpul UBR's on 14.5" - 16" barrels with longer rail systems (10.0 - 13.2) (example show above of a UBR on a Noveske with a 14.5" barrel and a 10.0 rail system)

I also recently had the chance to try a Magpul UBR on a 20" rifle and the UBR balanced out the rifle extreemly well.

S/F,
Jeff

9Y10C
07-05-09, 18:25
I've been very happy with the Vltor EMod...

http://www.vltor.com/emod_gallery.htm

-Rainman

+1 for the Vltor. It's well built and has more than ample storage. You won't be unhappy with this one...

Cagemonkey
07-05-09, 18:34
I like my Magpul 93B. Its solid like the UBR and is lighter. Unfortunately they don't make them any more.

pistolman1974
07-05-09, 19:33
I've got a CTR.

bjw182005
07-05-09, 22:13
Will the mil-spec CTR go right on to a stock mil-spec tube?

Shazam
07-05-09, 22:17
Ill probably swap for a CTR at a later date or upcoming ACS if available in FDE!!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/Gonzo_Pix/photo.jpg