PDA

View Full Version : Front sight post (problems)!!!

das028
01-22-07, 09:14
Ok fellas, I just took my brand new AR out to the range this weekend to zero it. Its a Stag-15 M2, with the ARMS #40 rear BUIS. Anyway it seems that the rifle is shooting a bit high at 50 yards, I'd say about between 4 and 5 inches.

To remedy this problem, it was my understanding that the front sight post had to be raised, in order to lower my shot. Anyway it seems that my front sight had to be raisedso far that the retaining pin will not catch the notch in the front sight. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology, so just bear with me. With the Front sight post raised to the maximum length, with the retaining pin locking in the notch it still shoots high. If I raise the front sight post anymore the pin will not lock in the notches leaving a unstable front sight.

Am I doing anything wrong here? To lower my shot I am supposed to raise the front sight, correct? Should I hold off blaming the gun for now, and wait until I get more experience with the AR sighting system? Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Sorry for all the questions fellas. I'm kinda new to the AR platform

Dport
01-22-07, 10:57
Bushmaster sells a taller front sight post. That should solve your problems. The other option is getting a different BUIS.

It's interesting that Stag didn't use the proper FSB?

C4IGrant
01-22-07, 11:23
Bushmaster sells a taller front sight post. That should solve your problems. The other option is getting a different BUIS.

It's interesting that Stag didn't use the proper FSB?

Agree. The taller front site post will fix the problem.

C4

HAMMERDROP
01-24-07, 07:48
Bushmasters' catalog which has been on occasion the preferred reading for many years in the head... their catalogs that a taller front sight post .040 should be used w/ ARMS #40 ... I plagerized the info but the guy needs to know.

Michael

rob_s
01-24-07, 09:12
I have got to remember to archive this for the next time someone asks me why they should care about an "F" front sight base.

Paulinski
01-24-07, 09:33
My stag came equipped with F marked front sight post.

Dport
01-24-07, 09:42
He's got the same thread going on over at Glocktalk. He has an F marked FSB, but still is having problems. Interestingly, it seemed like he wanted to blame Stag for not using a taller post with the F marked FSB.

das028
01-24-07, 17:07
He's got the same thread going on over at Glocktalk. He has an F marked FSB, but still is having problems. Interestingly, it seemed like he wanted to blame Stag for not using a taller post with the F marked FSB.

Well either my rifle is out of screwed up, it as the wrong front sight, or Stag shouldnt be using the ARMS rear sight. I dont know? I'm new to AR's so I really dont know what to expect.

The rifle seems really nice, and does print nice groups, just abot 5-6 inches high.

Hell I dont know, maybe its me, but how hard is it really to zero a rifle on sandbags?

C4IGrant
01-24-07, 17:18

If you have a F marked FSB (which Stag doesn't use), then you need a taller front sight post if your using an ARMS BUIS.

C4

das028
01-24-07, 17:45
If you have a F marked FSB (which Stag doesn't use), then you need a taller front sight post if your using an ARMS BUIS.

C4

Stag doesnt use F marked FSB? How can I tell?

So let me get this straight, If I have a f -marked FSB I do need the the taller psot with the ARMS?

The reason I asked is because some people are telling me different.

BTW, sorry for the stupid questions, just bear with me, this is all pretty new to me.

C4IGrant
01-24-07, 17:52
Stag doesnt use F marked FSB? How can I tell?

So let me get this straight, If I have a f -marked FSB I do need the the taller psot with the ARMS?

The reason I asked is because some people are telling me different.

BTW, sorry for the stupid questions, just bear with me, this is all pretty new to me.

That is correct (unless they have changed something in the last couple months). If it is a true Flattop rated FSB, there would be an F stamped on the side of it.

If you have an F marked FSB, then you should not need a taller front site post.

C4

C4IGrant
01-24-07, 17:54

Did you get the limited edition model that they did?? That one DID come with an F marked FSB.

C4

das028
01-24-07, 17:57
That is correct (unless they have changed something in the last couple months). If it is a true Flattop rated FSB, there would be an F stamped on the side of it.

If you have an F marked FSB, then you should not need a taller front site post.

C4

There is a F stamped on the side.

Not to be an ass, but your last two posts seem to contradict each other.

I'm a bit confused?

C4IGrant
01-24-07, 18:05
There is a F stamped on the side.

Not to be an ass, but your last two posts seem to contradict each other.

I'm a bit confused?

Cool! Then have changed them (haven't seen one in awhile).

Almost two years ago, Stag did a 14.5 limited run AR that had F marked FSB. The standard AR's did not. It appears that they have changed that and added them to every flattop (which is great)!

C4

C4IGrant
01-24-07, 18:07
Next question for you, is your front post at the end of its threads (like it is going to come out)? If so, there is most likely something wrong (as you have the taller FSB).

C4

das028
01-24-07, 18:14
Next question for you, is your front post at the end of its threads (like it is going to come out)? If so, there is most likely something wrong (as you have the taller FSB).

C4

It didnt get to the end of the threads, but it got high enough that the detent wouldnt catch in the notches of the front sight.

Maybe the detent spring is broken?

Or maybe they didnt install the correct front sight post?

Is there a way I can tell if its the correct post? How long is it supposed to be?

C4IGrant
01-24-07, 18:20
It didnt get to the end of the threads, but it got high enough that the detent wouldnt catch in the notches of the front sight.

Maybe the detent spring is broken?

Or maybe they didnt install the correct front sight post?

Is there a way I can tell if its the correct post? How long is it supposed to be?

I doubt that the plunger is broken (push up and down on it).

The full length of front sight post is 3/4. The post alone is about 1/4 in length.

C4

das028
01-24-07, 18:24
I doubt that the plunger is broken (push up and down on it).

The full length of front sight post is 3/4. The post alone is about 1/4 in length.

C4

Are you talkin about the longer or shorter post?

C4IGrant
01-24-07, 18:34
Are you talkin about the longer or shorter post?

Your post should follow those lengths.

C4

das028
01-24-07, 18:45
Your post should follow those lengths.

C4

Yup, it does.

Damn, looks like I need to give Stag a call back!

Thanks for the help

Dport
01-24-07, 18:50
OK so you've determined that STAG has used the proper FSB and the proper front sight post.

Have you tried a detachable carry handle or another BUIS?

das028
01-24-07, 19:13
OK so you've determined that STAG has used the proper FSB and the proper front sight post.

Have you tried a detachable carry handle or another BUIS?

No I havent yet. Just picked it up this past friday, and took it to the range this past weekend to zero.

The ironic thing is, that I have a post over in the want ads (glocktalk) to sell a ARMS #40, as I originally want a LT fixed BUIS for it.

Do you think the LT would fix this problem?

Grant, do you carry Larue stuff?

Dport
01-24-07, 20:45
No I havent yet. Just picked it up this past friday, and took it to the range this past weekend to zero.

The ironic thing is, that I have a post over in the want ads (glocktalk) to sell a ARMS #40, as I originally want a LT fixed BUIS for it.

I honestly don't know. I think there are several possibilities here, from least to most likely:
#1 There is something fundamentally wrong with the rifle that makes it shoot high.
#2 Stag marks their FSB with an F, but the FSB isn't the right height.
#3 Shooter error.
#4 There's a problem with the ARMS sight.

Honestly, if you're happy with the set up and the size of the groups you were shooting, I'd just pay $10 for the taller front sight post and be done with it.

das028
01-24-07, 22:07
I honestly don't know. I think there are several possibilities here, from least to most likely:
#1 There is something fundamentally wrong with the rifle that makes it shoot high.
#2 Stag marks their FSB with an F, but the FSB isn't the right height.
#3 Shooter error.
#4 There's a problem with the ARMS sight.

Honestly, if you're happy with the set up and the size of the groups you were shooting, I'd just pay $10 for the taller front sight post and be done with it.

So you dont like the ARMS sight do you?

I'm thinking its either me, or hopefully, the FSB inst the right height, because I would hate to have to to send it back to stag.

Paulinski
01-24-07, 22:39
Did you get the limited edition model that they did?? That one DID come with an F marked FSB.

C4

No its standard 16" left handed carabine 1/9 and inferior 4140 steel :D

Paul

Snake RAH
01-25-07, 00:09
I purchased two Stag uppers (the 16" 2H model) minus the ARMS40 (didn't want them), and tried to use a LaRue BUIS...at 100 yds and at mechanical zero, my group was almost 3' (that's feet) high. Luckily I did have some taller FSPs, but still could only bring POI down to 1' high. Both uppers have an "F" stamped on the right side of the gas tube recepticle of the FSB.

I ended up getting two RRA charging handles (the rifles will be for my kids), and still had to use the .040" front sight post. I twice wrote Stag about the issue, and wanted to verify that nothing was wrong with the uppers, and they never contacted me. I don't know if I confused them or what, but I was disappointed at the total lack of response.

rob_s
01-25-07, 03:15
I twice wrote Stag about the issue, and wanted to verify that nothing was wrong with the uppers, and they never contacted me. I don't know if I confused them or what, but I was disappointed at the total lack of response.
http://www.stagarms.com/contactinfo.htm
Phone: (860) 229 9994

Dport
01-25-07, 07:17
So you dont like the ARMS sight do you?

I'm thinking its either me, or hopefully, the FSB inst the right height, because I would hate to have to to send it back to stag.
It's not that I don't like the ARMS sight. I just think it more likely that the BUIS is incorrect in some way than the upper.

I can't believe that a company would go through the trouble of marking a FSB with an F, but not have it be the right height.

There would have to be something seriously wrong with the upper if the FSB was the right height and the BUIS was fine for it too shoot high. Like the barrel would have to have an upward bend, or the upper itself would have to be built to incorrect dimensions.

C4IGrant
01-25-07, 09:19
Yup, it does.

Damn, looks like I need to give Stag a call back!

Thanks for the help

I think you are misunderstanding. The F marked FSB SHOULD have a post that is the length I stated. It SHOULDN'T have the taller post. The taller post is ONLY for FSB's that are for an A2.

C4

das028
01-25-07, 15:58
I think you are misunderstanding. The F marked FSB SHOULD have a post that is the length I stated. It SHOULDN'T have the taller post. The taller post is ONLY for FSB's that are for an A2.

C4

I gotcha. But if I have the right front sight post already, and the rifle still shoots high there is something wrong. Maybe it the ARMS sight, or maybe they mark their FSB with a F, but its not really a true F marked FSB? I do know on Stags website they say that the front sight is a A2/front post. Maybe they put the wrong post in?

I did order the longer front sight post from BM, and it should be here tomorrow, so I will give that a try.

C4IGrant
01-25-07, 16:06

I do sell LT and have their BUIS in stock.

C4

C4IGrant
01-25-07, 16:07
No its standard 16" left handed carabine 1/9 and inferior 4140 steel :D

Paul

4140!! The weapon should blow up any day now. :D

C4

dangertree
01-25-07, 18:15
http://www.stagarms.com/contactinfo.htm
Phone: (860) 229 9994

Good call Rob. I've called them a few times for various things, they always answer, and are always helpful.

My guess, they'll send you a taller post.

Also, I've never seen a Stag carbine (not 20") that didn't have an "F" FSB, might be an ARMS issue, might not, but I'm sure they'll sort you out.

AcenJay
02-18-07, 23:43
I actually did not have to raise my front sight post for my Stag upper that much with the Troy rear BUIS, but with the EOTech, I had to adjust it two full rotations plus 10 clicks down from the default setting in order to zero it at 50 yards, because it was shooting so high. Does this seem extreme at all? Also, it was shooting a bit left, so I had to adjust both the rear BUIS and EOTech to the right.