PDA

View Full Version : Frankengun Range Report

Jdrimm
07-06-09, 11:02
I just got back from the range, testing my most recent frankenbuild.

Essential Arms lower
Stag LPK
BCM upper
DPMS 14.5 barrel, w/pinned YHM 5C2 FH
milspec buffer tube, M4 stock
standard buffer spring
CAR buffer
unknown manufacturer BCG, but the carrier came with an NSN sticker on the wrap, and so did the bolt
KAC M4 RAS

I'm using a MATECH BUIS as my only sight right now, need fnds before I get an Aimpoint M2 or M4.

I used seven new PMAGS exclusivley, my aluminum ones are kinda rough.

I fired the ammo below with ZERO failures of any kind. I attribute this to applying the knowledge gained on this sight, such as staking the gas key. I also use WeaponShield CLP, running the BCG pretty wet.

270 rnds WOLF 55g
270 rnds PMC Bronze 55g
400 rnds 20-year-old Barnaul 55g
120 rnds IMI 62g
120 rnds S&B 62g

My twelve year old son and I fired all of this in about an hour and a half, shooting as fast as we could stuff the magazines. That RAS got HOT! Next time, I'll remember the gloves.

After the torture test, we switched to my new CMMG .22 adapter. I functioned flawlessly, fired 200 rounds of WalMart Federal bulk, without a single failure. The bolt dropping every time I pulled the mag was disconcerting at first, but we got used to it. As soon as I can afford more mags, I'll be able to start shooting a couple hundred at lunchtime, since the indoor range around the corner from work only allows pistols and .22's.

All in all, one hell of a way to start my day!

Blob
07-08-09, 11:27
You shot 1180 rounds in 1 1/2 hours? :eek:

Jdrimm
07-08-09, 15:17
You shot 1180 rounds in 1 1/2 hours? :eek:

Yeah, my shoulder hurts a bit, mostly from the checkering on the buttstock. My son and I kept sawpping off, and loading mags. Got a little sweaty at the end. The .22 was actually afterwards.

CaptainDooley
07-08-09, 15:24
There's an instructor that coined a term that could apply here... ballistic masturbation.

I'm glad you and your son had fun though.

Jdrimm
07-08-09, 15:28
We did have a blast, but the main idea was to torture test my build. Now we can go out and just play with it.

SwatDawg15
07-08-09, 15:52
Glad ya had fun

Jdrimm
07-08-09, 20:19
A rifle, ammo, a range, and my kid? Of course I had fun! Thanks for the comments. I really didn't expect to this gun to run like this, but I'm happy it does.