PDA

View Full Version : LMT 16 vs. DD XV

justin_247
07-06-09, 11:10
Now that the panic market is temporarily abated, prices dropping, and after a ton of research, I've decided to go ahead and purchase an AR-15. The primary usage for this rifle will be for home defense, additional practice to make up for the fact that my service doesn't allocate sufficient time to gain any proficiency, and maybe a carbine course in the future. I am going to start off increasing my proficiency with lighter grain ammo, but once I am comfortable and start seriously shooting I may start firing heavier loads. Being that when I am deployed I will be issued a weapon to which I am limited as how to much I can modify, I plan on making this rifle as similar to the current base military spec as possible (ie, M-4 profile with 7" rail, forward grip, and Aimpoint or EOTech sight). Also, I don't want to be "that guy" who bought a cheaper rifle only to later kick himself in the pants and then went out and spent $400 or more to bring it up to mil-spec.

I still have not made on a decision on which one to purchase and I need your help.

Originally, I was going to buy a S&W M&P 15X because the price is right ($912 at G&R Tactical), seems to have a good reputation in the AR-15 community, and already comes with a $150 rail system that suits my purposes. However, on top of the fact that it doesn't have an M-16 BCG, 1/7 rifling twist, "H" Buffer, and seems to have some quality control issues, I have pretty much decided against this purchase due to the fact that it has NO LIFETIME WARRANTY. Sorry, if I'm going to pay $1000 for something I expect it to have a good warranty. It's still an option, but not my primary.

The price and lack of a lifetime warranty has generally turned me away from the Colt LE6920, as well, but it may still be an option. I've also heard their customer service is sub-par, although future resale value gets some points in my book.

The two rifles I'm focused on now are the LMT STD 16 and DD XV. Both are in my price range (both are going for around $1150) and the XV seems to be more available, however, there is still not much info out there about the DD for me to accurately compare it with the LMT. I know this is going to ignite a war, but there still is no thread that lists the specs of the DD like they would be listed on "The Chart."

Does the DD have a lifetime warranty, "H" buffer, and M-16 BCG? Do they both have lifetime warranties? How do they compare in other ways?

THANKS!

spamsammich
07-06-09, 11:29
Look here:
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33254

Compare the stats to the chart. Warm up your credit card.

justin_247
07-06-09, 11:41
Look here:
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33254

Compare the stats to the chart. Warm up your credit card.

Thanks. I did check that thread out, but as far as I can tell it says nothing about the warranty and whether the lower assembly is the same as the DDM4 (having an "H" buffer and M-16 BCG).

spamsammich
07-06-09, 11:44
definitely the same lower receiver and BCG. Not sure about the H buffer, but that is about the least significant feature to fret over. If you're talking about just ticking boxes on Rob's chart, this rifle is good to go.

spamsammich
07-06-09, 11:51
FWIW, Both companies offer 100% warranties. For whatever that means. I don't think I would be mistaken in assuming that the XV carries the same warranty as the DDM4. If you want to get the straight skinny from DD on their products, try emailing or PM'ing Joe. He's usually pretty quick about answering questions. If I was in the market for a KISS rifle, the DD would be on the top of the short list. For the money, I'd take one over a 6920.

spamsammich
07-06-09, 12:03
Guys, Thanks for all the positive comments on our latest model. Just to answer a few of your questions, I figured I would chime in really quick. The DDXV will have a Cold Hammer Forged Barrel, Mil Spec Collapsible Buttstock, Rear Receiver QD, A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight, and it will still ship with a PMag. Upper, Lower, BCG, and all internals are the same high quality parts found in our DDM4. This Rifle will not have a hard case. The flood gates open next week.

Hope this helps a little.

uspopo
07-06-09, 13:29
I would choose the DD XV over the LMT because of the HFB on the XV.

justin_247
07-08-09, 08:33
This thread has actually helped a lot! Thank you.

DD XV it is!!!

rob_s
07-08-09, 08:46
I'm still waiting to hear back from DD as to which boxes get the checkmarks, but all indications are that they are a very good option. The inclusion of the CHF barrel is pretty desirable to a lot of people and is something I'm probably going to be adding to the explanation of features.