PDA

View Full Version : advice for the "new guy"

operator77
07-07-09, 12:25
Im new to the AR world and have recently purchased a Colt 6920.
so far everything is stock, and the only think ive done to it thus far is add a MAKO 1inch 45 degree rail mount on my upper hand guard, with a Surefire 6p light [pressure switch is via cable and mounted in reach of my middle/index finger]

the next step is a VLTOR modstock, and EOtech holosight.

heres the questions!

Ive seen numerous people using configurations of vertical foregrips. What is the purpose of said grip? [i learned to shoot support hand on the bottom of the handguard so it seems odd/uncomfortable to me] but then again most of the professional millitary ive met use them [im on the LE side and we dont...]

also
with the standard "triangle" front sight, can i use an EOtech holosight, and a rear BUIS and still co witness my irons? so i have to install a quad rail and a BUIS front sight to keep co witnessed?

after crusing the custom build forums im blown away by the hardware ive seen! Amazing work!

kwelz
07-07-09, 15:04
Good start.

Most of us are going to suggest an Aimpoint nsead of the Eotech. Both are good but the Aimpoint is more durable. I also suggest a Troy or Magpul BUIS. Vltor is good although I just recently switched to CTRs and MOEs on most of my builds.

VFGs are actually more ergonomic. It makes the gun easier to manuver as long as you train with it.

curriek
07-07-09, 15:51
I use to run stock handguards and switched to a VFG. I have more control of the weapon now. Couple fingers on the grip and the rest on the handguard gives me a much more stable platform. I liked EOTechs, but Aimpoints have a longer battery life which is the reason I have one. Good pick up with the Colt!

bkb0000
07-07-09, 16:42
VFGs are extremely user-preference. nobody needs one, but some people benefit. whether or not you would is gonna depend entirely on your shooting style and AO. reasons for the VFG are different for different people; a weapon retention aid- makes it a lot easier to keep the weapon in a position to shoot while navigating terrain, others use them purely as hand-stops, so they can quickly find their sweet-spot on the handguard, others like to torque on 'em while shooting, keeping the muzzle down. etc.

i cant realy see a VFG hurting anything with a carbine- most guys recommend running a VFG out by the FSB, as gripping the weapon farther out gives you better muzzle control- but if your patrol is rural, and it's likely you'llbe shooting supported more often than standing (hood/roof of your cruiser), you'll either want no VFG or place it in close to the magwell so it doesn't get in the way. monopods aren't great for distance shooting- especially on the roof.

years later, i'm still learning to use a VFG, and my thinking evolves subtly, constantly. i run my VFGs in close for the reasons above, as well as because the VFG is my secondary grip method. i generally grip the handguard out as close to the FSB as i can depending on which weapon i'm shooting (DD's "FSB" and "FSBM" rails are GREAT for being able to grip way forward), and shoot supported when possible. the VFG is for CQB and shooting on the move, when i do like to be tucked- even still, i generally use it as a rearward handstop, pressing against it with the inside of my wrist, rather than grabbing it. furthermore, having the VFG closer makes it easier to properly square up your armor to the target.

just my philosophy, hope it helps.

operator77
07-07-09, 16:50
Outstanding! I'm amazed at all the feed back, and all the help. I really apreciate everyone helping me get my legs under me on this... But how about the sight question? If I remove the carry handle/a2 style sight, and replace with BUIS does it align with the factory "triangle" front sight? Or would I need the accompanying front BUIS? And beyond that, can I co-witness iron through an EOtech or aimpoint OESD or holo sight? Ideally I'd like to leave the triangle, and use a magpul rear BUIS and a holosight.

curriek
07-07-09, 16:54
I have a Magpul MBUS rear sight and the fixed front post, which is what I assume is the triangle front sight, and it works great. Just have to make a few minor adjustments to the front sight and I'm on target. Co-witnessed with my Aimpoint, and I'm sure you can with a EOTech.

Outstanding! I'm amazed at all the feed back, and all the help. I really apreciate everyone helping me get my legs under me on this... But how about the sight question? If I remove the carry handle/a2 style sight, and replace with BUIS does it align with the factory "triangle" front sight? Or would I need the accompanying front BUIS? And beyond that, can I co-witness iron through an EOtech or aimpoint OESD or holo sight? Ideally I'd like to leave the triangle, and use a magpul rear BUIS and a holosight.

bkb0000
07-07-09, 16:56

hell yea- FSBs (triangle sight) are the way to go. the 6920 comes with an "F marked" FSB that's compatible with all BUISs that i'm aware of. most guys do a 1/3rd co-witness with folding rear sight, for an unobstructed view. personally, i like an absolute co-witness with fixed rear (chopped carry handle or LMT fixed rear BUIS), as i don't always use the dot.

Iraqgunz
07-07-09, 16:58
If you remove the original sight unit and replace it with a rear BUIS of known good quality you will have no problem achieving proper co-witness. Some of the better sights are made by Troy, LaRue, Daniel Defense, GG&G and MI.

operator77
07-07-09, 16:58
"fixed front post" dammit! Haha, can you tell it's my first AR? Still, much better than the Mini14...

Jokes aside thanks everyone!

Mac5.56
07-07-09, 17:01
I know you can co-witness, and I am pretty sure that the rear BUIS will line up without a riser. If you need one though, I am sure someone makes one.

I bought a flat top without a gas block sight, so I can't completely answer this question.

As for advice for new users, I am one myself, and my best bit of advice is to save the money on your Eotech/Aimpoint right now (plus all the other do-dads), and spend all of that money on bulk ammo. This is the path I took, and even after 1500 rounds I still feel like I am adjusting to the platform to some degree. I honestly wanted an aimpoint really bad, but after mounting the BUIS system first (after having a scope), I feel like I can have a lot of success and use with just the irons, and that I still need improvement. Practice is more valuable then product. If I wouldn't have pushed my rifle so hard lately by sacrificing upgrades for ammo, I wouldn't have the experience I have with dealing with failures, learning to clean the gun in and out, ext.

operator77
07-07-09, 17:13
"As for advice for new users, I am one myself, and my best bit of advice is to save the money on your Eotech/Aimpoint right now (plus all the other do-dads), and spend all of that money on bulk ammo. This is the path I took, and even after 1500 rounds I still feel like I am adjusting to the platform to some degree. I honestly wanted an aimpoint really bad, but after mounting the BUIS system first (after having a scope), I feel like I can have a lot of success and use with just the irons, and that I still need improvement. Practice is more valuable then product. If I wouldn't have pushed my rifle so hard lately by sacrificing upgrades for ammo, I wouldn't have the experience I have with dealing with failures, learning to clean the gun in and out, ext."

up untill the AR I was an adamant "iron only" shooter. But I kinda regard holo/oesd in the same respect as the vertical foregrip, I've been told the increased ease of application in certian applications makes for a decent reason to look into. But I agree, I'll never give up my iron!

CryingWolf
07-07-09, 17:27
Im new to the AR world and have recently purchased a Colt 6920.
so far everything is stock, and the only think ive done to it thus far is add a MAKO 1inch 45 degree rail mount on my upper hand guard, with a Surefire 6p light [pressure switch is via cable and mounted in reach of my middle/index finger]

the next step is a VLTOR modstock, and EOtech holosight.

heres the questions!

Ive seen numerous people using configurations of vertical foregrips. What is the purpose of said grip? [i learned to shoot support hand on the bottom of the handguard so it seems odd/uncomfortable to me] but then again most of the professional millitary ive met use them [im on the LE side and we dont...]

also
with the standard "triangle" front sight, can i use an EOtech holosight, and a rear BUIS and still co witness my irons? so i have to install a quad rail and a BUIS front sight to keep co witnessed?

after crusing the custom build forums im blown away by the hardware ive seen! Amazing work!

I have a tendency to grab the magwell. I have been contemplating getting a TangoDown short battle grip (http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=101). I could move my hand forward off the magwell under the handguard. I wouldn't be holding the vertical grip by itself, wrapping all fingers and my thumb around it, but supporting the rifle between the grip and the handguard with my thumb and a couple of fingers on the handguard.

Nothing wrong with the EOTech, I have one myself, The 517 (http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=27&cat=2) mounts in a lower 1/3 co-witness configuration. So your "triangle" front sight is out of the way, or sits in the lower part of your EOTech. I also have a Troy flip up for my rear sight. I can flip up the Troy aim out the lower portion of the EOTech using my BUIS. I happen to very much like the EOTech's reticle, which is extremely fast for me to pick up with my aging eyes. Did I say EXTREMELY fast? Also I like the FOV of the EOTech. Aimpoint has a 2 or 4 MOA dot with my eye sight I would probably have to go with the 4 MOA dot which to me seemed a little big for precision shots if I ever needed. If Aimpoint ever puts out a EOTech type reticle I think I would be all over it just for the battery life.

Anyway a good review of both can be found on YouTube by Nutnfancy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6fGJiXoNA

rychencop
07-07-09, 18:19
get a Troy folding buis and the Eotech. no problems co-witnessing with the proper mount and the eotech has a wider fov than the aimpoint.

07-07-09, 18:35
Many would say the Aimpoint is a much better choice for several reasons. You can find some excellent thoughts on this from LE, MIL, and experienced shooters with tons of carbine classes. Just do a search and look at the threads and you will get a wealth of info so you can make an informed decision(Aimpoint).:p