PDA

View Full Version : CMMG upper good?

jaxxx
07-07-09, 13:00
found a CMMG upper for sale at 569 locally, I was wondering if you guys had any experience with this brand

woodandsteel
07-07-09, 18:50
Please tell me that you did not just buy the CMMG 16 M4 A1 SOCOM Upper locally! :mad:

I ordered one from them in January and they still haven't started to build it.:(

jaxxx
07-07-09, 19:12
not yet, but they had 2-3 in stock in my local store... I wasnt sure how it compared to S&W or RRA

woodandsteel
07-07-09, 19:47
not yet, but they had 2-3 in stock in my local store... I wasnt sure how it compared to S&W or RRA

In my opinion they are a good upper. I haven't got mine yet. But, I do know of some who have. They are very impresssed with theirs.

I have no experience with the S&W. But, I compared the CMMG to the RRA when I ordered my upper. I thought that the CMMG just had a whole lot more to offer for the price.

The CMMG came with the chrome lined barrell, the full auto bolt carrier, the 1/7 twist...etc.

The mad look on my earlier post was in reference to the fact that you could buy one locally and that I am still waiting 6 months after the fact for my order.

Depending on what kind of uppers that they are selling, I would buy one.

Here is what I ordered; http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1748273&cat=27&. Scroll down to the New 16 M4 A1 SOCOM upper.

jaxxx
07-07-09, 20:32
Im not sure if its the socom model they have or not but its a M4 upper, 569 ok price?

woodandsteel
07-07-09, 21:10
Im not sure if its the socom model they have or not but its a M4 upper, 569 ok price?

It's cheaper than what I spent on mine. I'm over $600 on mine. I ordered it during the panic buying.

Is this a complete upper that was built by CMMG? Or was this made by someone using a CMMG upper?

It looks to be less than what you can order it directly from CMMG for.

jaxxx
07-07-09, 21:50
It's cheaper than what I spent on mine. I'm over $600 on mine. I ordered it during the panic buying.

Is this a complete upper that was built by CMMG? Or was this made by someone using a CMMG upper?

It looks to be less than what you can order it directly from CMMG for.

Its a complete M4 upper, flat top. Maybe I should go for it?

jaxxx
07-07-09, 22:07
just like this.........http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/CMMG_.223_5.56x45_AR15_M4_16_Complete_Upper_Half.html

woodandsteel
07-08-09, 10:45
To me (nd I'm still learning) it looks like a better deal than the RRA uppers.

Based on my budget, it looks like a good deal.

Here is a thread I started when I was ordering my CMMG Upper. Note the date of the thread, and the fact that I am still waiting for my order.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=25567

Expedition
07-08-09, 12:18
Jaxx,

For the last two years I have been running a CMMG lightweight 14.5" pencil bbl (.625") A3 upper w/ M4 cuts and a properly staked carrier key. It did have M16 extractor components (blue insert and the wrong spring) but they didn't cause a problem and I was educated and upgraded 2000 rounds ago anyway.

I've run it through 3 classes and some training totaling just shy of 7000 rounds. The only malfs have been three double feeds: One was instructor induced riding the charge handle into battery, the last two -- this past weekend -- were after a case of Wolf and 250 rounds more PMC. The gun was dirty and purposely neglected to see how far I could get on Wolf. A squirt of oil (militec) got me back in game. I did quick scrape with a CATM-4 cool (http://catm4.com/) and quick lube and had no further problems. I also never missed a drill or shot. It is very tolerant of Wolf, and high round counts with good ammo.

Accuracy wise, it will do 2 MOA with someone who doesn't suck running it. My 50 yard zero groups in the last class were 3/4", and I'm new to the AR.

My issue with CMMG has been in the details. Since big o's election and the industry sales boom, we've received in a few uppers that had incorrect options (wrong ff forends, gas blocks, carrier keys not staked, etc.--sloppy), and one that was incomplete (no ejection port cover, pin, or spring and partially installed pins on the fsb--way sloppy). They seem to have gotten back to squared away recently. BTW, they fixed/made right all of these issues very quickly and zero drama.

My (humble) opinion is that CMMG is GTG. They were simply overwhelmed by demand when all hell broke loose last November. They put out solid products before the this. I would buy another.

Chris