PDA

View Full Version : BCM Lower

bbvette427
07-07-09, 16:01
Just received my BCM lower and am dissapointed in the anodizing. My PWA, Stag, Global Tactical lowers all match my BCM upper perfectly but my BCM lower does not. Anyone else have a poor match?

M4arc
07-07-09, 16:03
No. In fact mine is perfect. It's nicer than my Colt, LMTs, PWA, & Mega lowers.

Can you please post pictures?

spamsammich
07-07-09, 16:17
It is a real pain in the ass to get anodized pieces from different suppliers to match exactly. My advice is to worry about how your clothing and accessories match, not your receivers. There are bigger fish to fry.

Or pm me and I'll give you an address where you can ship the lower for proper disposal. ( somebody had to say it ;) )

urbankaos04
07-07-09, 16:22
I know that you want your stuff to match, especially when it's brand spanking new, but, seriously, you'll forget all about how it doesn't match after you start using it and start dinging shit up. Just watch.

Fire_Medic
07-07-09, 16:23
Just received my BCM lower and am dissapointed in the anodizing. My PWA, Stag, Global Tactical lowers all match my BCM upper perfectly but my BCM lower does not. Anyone else have a poor match?

Mine is ever so slightly off in color, but remember that your upper comes drenched in oil.

Bathe your lower receiver in CLP and let it sit and it should turn out very close to your upper.

;)

bbvette427
07-07-09, 16:44
Mine is ever so slightly off in color, but remember that your upper comes drenched in oil.

Bathe your lower receiver in CLP and let it sit and it should turn out very close to your upper.

;)

Already did this but still looks mismatched. I tried taking pics but the camera is not that good and pics came out poor.

M4arc
07-07-09, 16:52
Is the anodizing poor or does it just not match your upper?

bbvette427
07-07-09, 17:10
Is the anodizing poor or does it just not match your upper?

Anodizing looks okay from what I can tell, but the dye is what makes it black. Was it not in the tank long enough to open up the pores so the dye will adhere? The lower is ligher in color with a purple hue, upper dark black.

spamsammich
07-07-09, 17:18
Anodizing looks okay from what I can tell, but the dye is what makes it black. Was it not in the tank long enough to open up the pores so the dye will adhere? The lower is ligher in color with a purple hue, upper dark black.

There are at least a dozen possible reasons why the colors don't match. I've had parts come back from the same anodizing house on two different days, 2 different shades of "black". This has happened with more than one vendor so I've taken to sending parts out and specifying that they be done in batches of 16 so I have at least 8 parts that match and some spares. the machine I build has 8 devices that the user can access and having them mismatched is a no go.

Jeep297
07-07-09, 19:15
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Both of my Magpul lowers don't match the Noveske uppers they came on (they're slightly "purple") but it doesn't bother me in the least.

Once you start shooting more you forget things like that. BCM makes top quality products and that's all that matters in the end.

Fire_Medic
07-07-09, 19:21
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Both of my Magpul lowers don't match the Noveske uppers they came on (they're slightly "purple") but it doesn't bother me in the least.

Once you start shooting more you forget things like that. BCM makes top quality products and that's all that matters in the end.

+1! :D

GONIF
07-07-09, 19:54
It's an AR ,as long as it is in spec and has no flaws who cares if the color is off slightly . :rolleyes:

bigez1
07-07-09, 22:54
Mine arrived today and the color matches my upper pretty well not that it matter to me. There was a thread on another site where a guy was complaining about the lower not matching the upper and Paul from BCM chimed in. Here was his response.

Originally Posted By BravoCompanyUSA:
Great lookin' blaster. That is one of the first ones I have seen put togather (outside of our shop).
Thanks for your business!!

I would like BCM guns to never be known for being pretty. The BCM program was originally designed for the need created by the PSD communtiy. They desired GI quality but were no longer in the GI supply chain. They are built for the battlefield. A tool with an industrial grade finish. A weapon of war. High quality materials. No shortcuts. The quality of a BCM will not show up in photos, but is seen after you have run it hard time after time after time.

Thanks!
Paul

SeriousStudent
07-07-09, 23:35
My BCM lower and my BCM middy upper both have a uniform coating of dust from the range today.

So both halves match. ;)

And there are scratches on the side of the Aimpoint H-1, and the Vicker's sling is fraying a bit, the carbine's in horrible shape....... And I would not trade it at all.

My goal is to have it looking like Jeff or Derek's guns by the end of the year.

SWATcop556
07-08-09, 01:19
I only have one true safe queen (and its because it was a gift for academy graduation). Every other AR I own is a fighting weapon.

If it is meant to be a safe queen then the "fit and finish" should be important. If its a fighting weapon, it won't matter after some use whether or not the upper and lower match in color.

Or there is always Gunkote or some other aftermarket finish.

Iraqgunz
07-08-09, 02:55
bbvette427,

If you truly believe that it isn't up to snuff then I would talk to someone about sending it back. I always encourage people that get a "lemon" Bushmaster, DPMS, Oly, RRA whatever to send them back and make them set it right, so the same rules should apply to Colt, Noveske, LMT, BCM, etc... Having said that. If the only issue was the color not matching I would care less because as soon as I have the chance my stuff gets painted anyways.

Remy
07-08-09, 11:52
bbvette427,

If you truly believe that it isn't up to snuff then I would talk to someone about sending it back. I always encourage people that get a "lemon" Bushmaster, DPMS, Oly, RRA whatever to send them back and make them set it right, so the same rules should apply to Colt, Noveske, LMT, BCM, etc... Having said that. If the only issue was the color not matching I would care less because as soon as I have the chance my stuff gets painted anyways.

I agree totally with what Iraqgunz says regarding returning the lower for replacement. If you are not happy with a top-of-the-line product like a BCM lower.....then you need to take steps to remedy the situation.

I know that many of the guys say that you should zip your lip and forget about it, but I feel that for what you are paying for Tier 1, you definitely need to be satisfied with it.

Jeep297
07-08-09, 12:08
I agree totally with what Iraqgunz says regarding returning the lower for replacement. If you are not happy with a top-of-the-line product like a BCM lower.....then you need to take steps to remedy the situation.

I know that many of the guys say that you should zip your lip and forget about it, but I feel that for what you are paying for Tier 1, you definitely need to be satisfied with it.

Tier 1 guns have absolutely nothing to do with fit/finish. If that's your main concern get a RRA. The top companies like Colt, Noveske, KAC, LMT, BCM, etc are considered in the

top because of their quality components and how they perform. Most of them could care less how "pretty" they look. My Colts came with scratches, my magpul lowers are

purple and my KAC has midlength spelled wrong (ht instead of th) on the rail but I could care less because I know the quality is where it counts.

BravoCompanyUSA
07-08-09, 12:41
The features and specification that are exhaustively listed for the BCM product line are focus on a standard of quality materials and features. Costmetic QC is no more stringent than what Uncle Sam would receive.

The BCM standard (and TDP) for anodizing is to be finished per MIL-A-8625, TYPE III, CLASS 2. FINISH SHALL BE LUSTERLESS (FLAT), APPROX BLACK, NO. 37038, TABLE IX BUT NOT LIGHTER THAN GRAY, NO. 36076, TABLE VIII OF FED-STD-595, AND SEAL.

.45fmjoe
07-08-09, 12:43
Mine is a pretty close match to my mid-length upper, but as the others who understand a "fighting gun" have pointed out the fit and finish doesn't matter.

As I said on arf, I know Paul wouldn't sell me a product I couldn't bet my ass on, and that's what matters. Period.

tylerw02
07-08-09, 13:55
Who cares if it is slightly off color? ARs aren't pretty. Do you want a fighting carbine or a safe-queen? If you want a real fighting carbine, you'll end up painting it anyway.

CaptainDooley
07-08-09, 15:22
I tell you what - I have an Essential Arms lower I built up that perfectly matches my BCM upper. I'll trade you straight up for your off-color BCM lower. You pay shipping and FFL on your end and I'll do the same.

SwatDawg15
07-08-09, 15:57
Im ordering one, but if you don't like yours, I'll buy it too. I don't care if its Barney Purple :cool:

Remy
07-08-09, 16:18
If most of you guys don't give a sh*t whether your gun looks decent (as well as functioning 100% of course) that's your choice.........but don't BITCH if someone else may expect it when they spend $1,000.00 PLUS on a brand new gun.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS..........when you spend top dollar on a new gun, it is not unreasonable to get BOTH TOP QUALITY FIT AND FINISH........AND........GREAT MECHANICAL PERFORMANCE.

THIS IS NOT AN UNREASONABLE EXPECTATION!!

RancidSumo
07-08-09, 16:21
I agree with Remy but when I ordered my BCM I knew that the parts may not match but had I not known that prior to my order I would probably be a little pissed off.

Iraqgunz
07-08-09, 16:38
Remy,

The OP could have contacted BCM first to make his complaint, which I believe he did not do. I then politely suggested that he do that. The Bravo Company rep has made his statement on the matter as well. He also did not pay 1000.00 for a new gun, but rather 350.00 for a lower.

The point that many of us are making is that function is more important than beauty. If the OP has a problem with the lower he can address it through the proper channels and see about a refund or another lower. I am also fairly certain that any number of people will snap it up were it to be offered for sale.

If most of you guys don't give a sh*t whether your gun looks decent (as well as functioning 100% of course) that's your choice.........but don't BITCH if someone else may expect it when they spend $1,000.00 PLUS on a brand new gun.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS..........when you spend top dollar on a new gun, it is not unreasonable to get BOTH TOP QUALITY FIT AND FINISH........AND........GREAT MECHANICAL PERFORMANCE.

THIS IS NOT AN UNREASONABLE EXPECTATION!!

tylerw02
07-08-09, 16:42
It is just the nature of manufacturing that there are variances from batch to batch.

bullseye
07-08-09, 16:50
i hate to be a spoil-sport,,but,, i'm with bbvette427 on this. grant built an upper for me last fall with a noveske barrel, the upper receiver is purple---and looks like shit. the good news is that walter birdsong is right on my way home,,gonna black-t the offender---problem solved. [ the rifle shoots great, BTW]

Remy
07-08-09, 17:14
Remy,

The OP could have contacted BCM first to make his complaint, which I believe he did not do. I then politely suggested that he do that. The Bravo Company rep has made his statement on the matter as well. He also did not pay 1000.00 for a new gun, but rather 350.00 for a lower.

The point that many of us are making is that function is more important than beauty. If the OP has a problem with the lower he can address it through the proper channels and see about a refund or another lower. I am also fairly certain that any number of people will snap it up were it to be offered for sale.

Iraqgunz,

You make several good points in your response to my comment. I must state right now that I have nothing but the highest respect for BCM products and own several of their items at this time.

I also definitely agree that the best way to deal with a question on an item that has been purchased, should be to contact the company privately and make every attempt at resolving the problem.

bbvette427
07-08-09, 18:59
Remy,

I first contacted the vendor I made the purchase from, was informed to call BCM . This was last Friday, I then email BCM about the the lower. Their response (Friday) was they are all anodized the same. I wouldn't call this great customer service and after reading BCM post it's a big tough shit on you.

If BCM wants to recite the mil. spec. to justify their black anodizing that's okay with me I will not be purchasing anymore. As we all know lowers are pretty much the same, I'll just be purchasing any new lowers from a company who has a better anodizing process and adds uniformity to it's QC.

I'm a consumer who is a recreational shooter that wanted a good quality rifle. Maybe I'm wrong but I have always associated cosmetic with a good product.
A lower receiver is no different then any other product we buy. If you bought 4 new wheels for your gun range truck and 3 were nicely polished and the 4Th was dull would say oh well its just a fighting truck. No you would bitch because you just spent $1000 on wheels and there is no uniformity.

pacifico
07-08-09, 19:04
You can't please everyone.

Iraqgunz
07-08-09, 19:06
Though I can understand what you are saying from my personal point of view it wouldn't be a big deal. What I care about is that the product is within spec and that it will perform. Like I said before I bust out Alumahyde and Krylon on my rifles and carbines where applicable and paint them. Something about a "blackrifle" drives me crazy. The slightly off color will in no way impact the performance of the lower receiver. YMMV.

I first contacted the vendor I made the purchase from, was informed to call BCM . This was last Friday, I then email BCM about the the lower. Their response (Friday) was they are all anodized the same. I wouldn't call this great customer service and after reading BCM post it's a big tough shit on you.

If BCM wants to recite the mil. spec. to justify their black anodizing that's okay with me I will not be purchasing anymore. As we all know lowers are pretty much the same, I'll just be purchasing any new lowers from a company who has a better anodizing process and adds uniformity to it's QC.

I'm a consumer who is a recreational shooter that wanted a good quality rifle. Maybe I'm wrong but I have always associated cosmetic with a good product.
A lower receiver is no different then any other product we buy. If you bought 4 new wheels for your gun range truck and 3 were nicely polished and the 4Th was dull would say oh well its just a fighting truck. No you would bitch because you just spent $1000 on wheels and there is no uniformity.

07-08-09, 19:15
Gotta side with the people in the know like Gunz and Grant. If it works, it works. It should be getting beat up anyway in classes, drills, etc. The bad guy at the receiving end of a well placed shot doesn't care how the finish looks.

bbvette427
07-08-09, 20:04
Though I can understand what you are saying from my personal point of view it wouldn't be a big deal. What I care about is that the product is within spec and that it will perform. Like I said before I bust out Alumahyde and Krylon on my rifles and carbines where applicable and paint them. Something about a "blackrifle" drives me crazy. The slightly off color will in no way impact the performance of the lower receiver. YMMV.

Mil. spec. is a set of limits and or requirments, when making a part you shoot for the mean dimension. I've worked for aerospace company for over twenty years, as a turning center setup. Our facility also had a plating and anodizing department. Process are setup to run in the middle, if parts are varing from upper to lower limits something is wrong. Costumer don't always care about upper and lower limits they want to see a consistant product . We have had many returns for not being uniform in plating and anodizing. They may have function correctly but don't match the mating part.

.45fmjoe
07-08-09, 21:08
Mil. spec. is a set of limits and or requirments, when making a part you shoot for the mean dimension. I've worked for aerospace company for over twenty years, as a turning center setup. Our facility also had a plating and anodizing department. Process are setup to run in the middle, if parts are varing from upper to lower limits something is wrong. Costumer don't always care about upper and lower limits they want to see a consistant product . We have had many returns for not being uniform in plating and anodizing. They may have function correctly but don't match the mating part.

You are missing the point entirely. This is how military guns are, and Paul is another Colt - making the absolute closest we can get to a military rifle.

bbvette427
07-08-09, 21:25
You are missing the point entirely. This is how military guns are, and Paul is another Colt - making the absolute closest we can get to a military rifle.

I'm not missing to point! He is selling to the general public not the military. The military has a upper and lower limits. You create a master gage for comparison of what is excetable for uniformity. Just because you have a broad spectum between shades does not mean you have to use it. You compare your anodized parts to master before sending out.

RancidSumo
07-08-09, 21:32
If you had done a bit of research before you bought you would have known that this would be the case. I looked up BCM for about ten minutes before I saw people mentioning that they don't always have the best fit/finish. Quit complaining, I am sure that you can sell that lower for what you paid for it and go buy a different one. Other than that, don't air your dirty laundry in public, if you have issues with a product you received, take it up with the manufacturer.

bbvette427
07-08-09, 21:53
If you had done a bit of research before you bought you would have known that this would be the case. I looked up BCM for about ten minutes before I saw people mentioning that they don't always have the best fit/finish. Quit complaining, I am sure that you can sell that lower for what you paid for it and go buy a different one. Other than that, don't air your dirty laundry in public, if you have issues with a product you received, take it up with the manufacturer.

First off you should read the whole thread, manufacture was email. Secondly I understand serials started with 1000 and my no. is less than 1100. Have not seen any feedback when order was placed. Third this is not dirty laundry, it's information for people doing research before buying.

RancidSumo
07-08-09, 22:14
First off you should read the whole thread, manufacture was email. Secondly I understand serials started with 1000 and my no. is less than 1100. Have not seen any feedback when order was placed. Third this is not dirty laundry, it's information for people doing research before buying.

Could you please rewrite the first two sentences in a legible manner so I can understand them?

CaptainDooley
07-09-09, 00:05
This is obviously important to you and not to others... We won't change your mind and you won't change ours. Others have suggested you sell it to recoup your money and buy something that does meet your needs. Hell I even offered to swap your lower for one I have that does match a BCM upper...

That's about all we can do to help fix what you perceive as a problem... There's no need for any of us (you included) to keep getting amped up over it or to pour any more energy into... If this matters to people they will hopefully find your post before buying and they can make an informed decision - and because of that I thank you for your post.

SeriousStudent
07-09-09, 00:14

I think what you have run up against is the thought process of this website, and it's inhabitants. The large, vocal majority of the people that post here value function over fashion. As many have stated, they appreciate a weapon that goes bang every time, and hurls projectiles in an accurate manner. BCM does that in spades.

There is nothing wrong with wanting something that looks nice. But the folks here tend to admire engineering over appearance. That's the brick wall you have run up against.

If you wish to sell it, then do so. But frankly, there is no real defect with your lower. Mine is the same - the color is slight different between my BCM upper and the lower.

But it makes a loud noise every time, and is quite accurate. That's my criteria.

What would you have Paul do? Take the upper and lower back, and mix up a cauldron to refinish both until they are perfectly matched? I doubt that would happen. And frankly, no other AR builder would do it for you either.

Remy
07-09-09, 01:41
I think bbvette427 has a perfectly reasonable set of expectations. He has purchased a top of the line piece of equipment and expects appearance and function to be "top drawer".

I see nothing wrong with that thinking........if you want to beat the sh*t out of your gun......well fine.....but if you want to shoot it and take care of it at the same time that is reasonable too.

Personally, I agree with the expectations that the OP has regarding his new AR.

K9-Bob
07-09-09, 07:26
I don't have a dog in this fight, but back in '94 when Bushmaster was rushing to beat the ban, they too had some QC issues concerning color.

I just sold a preban Bushy lower that had a purple hue, but the buyer didn't care as he lived behind the lines in CT.

My 16" BCM upper also perfectly matches one of my Sabre lowers. Both are dark black without any purple hue.

bill_d
07-09-09, 10:06
with respect to the anodizing process that has generated your (in my opinion)
extremely lame complaints, the addition of color is completed after the anodizing
process creates the required oxide layer (penetration as well as surface build up).
the process of color addition involves a reduction of the surface hardness of the material anodized. the sealant to retain the color application can have this affect as well. the process that is best, would to my mind, be the one that is the hardest, sacrificing as little surface qualities as possible.
layers of oxide ,coloring, and sealant are present on the surface of the aluminum.

did you use any solvents on the finish ?
wouldnt it make sense to NOT use solvents on a new piece and instead layer it with multiple coats of synthetic grease or high quality paint before the sealing layer and the color layer become compromised.

hard black is a specification NOT A COLOR.

do not try to hold your money up and tell me how much you deserve to be catered to. when you are essentially clueless.

i do NOT hold those expectations to be perfectly resonable.

SHIVAN
07-09-09, 10:16
The vendor was contacted. The vendor gave an answer that one owner does not like, regarding a color "mismatch". Now we've dragged other vendors in to this thread, and it's getting personal.

This thread is way beyond its useful shelf-life for this forum.