PDA

View Full Version : Patrol First Aid Kit

PA PATRIOT
07-07-09, 16:15
Hello All my first post in this section, would like to ask a question on what basic gear should be stored in a Patrol First Aid Kit. I work for the Philadelphia Police Department which does not supply any sort of First Aid Kit so I have to build one from items that can be procured from a Hospital ER or Medical supply on my own dollar. My training comes from the ARC First Responder Training for Law Enforcement so I have a full understanding of the basics of care to a injured person. Now as most of the posters here will know Philadelphia is one "Shoot-em up town" and we have lost several officers in the past two years and had several others shot who survived. My goal is to assist a badly injured officer in any way possible if by gun fire or other means of injury as Trauma hospitals at best are 10 to 15 minutes away. We do have fire medic units but their services are pushed to the breaking point by equipment and personal cut backs so response time can be from 10 to 50 minutes in coming. Most times with gunshot wounds we grab and run for the nearest hospital and apply what ever aid we can while en-route. So heres the question, if you had to build a kit to cover the listed Training/Distance to treatment/Supply source what sort of items would you guys and gals have on hand?

Thank you!
Phila PD

SeriousStudent
07-07-09, 17:27
There were a couple of good threads a while back, that might give you a good starting point.

"Trauma kit for GSW only, contents change?"

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32659

And this one was pretty good as well:

"Components of a decent trauma kit?"

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27217

There are a couple of current and former medical types frequenting this board, that will likely wander along soon. I am sure they can give good advice. A few are tactical medical folks in police and military units. They could likely provide operational input.

Have you had an opportunity to chat with some of your fire/EMS folks there in Philly? Most of the smoke-eaters are smart enough to know it pays to have friends with guns around, and usually help out at officer with a need such as yours. Or at least, I certainly used to do so.

Good luck, and stay safe! :)

FMF_Doc
07-07-09, 18:24
do check out the GSW thread, I think we came pretty close to the best solution for the first responder to have.

I like seeing officers take initiative and prepare to render aid until EMS shows up.

Pathfinder Ops
07-07-09, 19:42
do check out the GSW thread, I think we came pretty close to the best solution for the first responder to have.

I like seeing officers take initiative and prepare to render aid until EMS shows up.

Well Said.

PA PATRIOT
07-08-09, 14:05
Is using multiple 4x4's good enough with direct pressure for most G/S wounds? Talking to one of are long time Fire Medic Units thats all they say they use but then again thats all they are supplied with. One of my OIS had a responding officer shot in the left lower cheek, jaw, neck area with #4 shotgun pellets and from what I had seen 4x4's would not cover the area. One officer KILOD last year was shot with a 7.62x39mm and the bleeding was massive from reports given. What kind of dressing can handle these types of wounds? Most times its multiple hits with exits so how do you plug the holes just to get them to the E/R alive.

telecustom
07-08-09, 14:58
I know you aren't going to like my answer but.....tampons and maxi pads. tampons are good for entry wounds and the pad can be folded and stuffed in the exit wound. Then wrap with tape or bandage.

I'm not a medic, but this was one of the tricks my 18Ds like to teach.

Pathfinder Ops
07-09-09, 15:15
Is using multiple 4x4's good enough with direct pressure for most G/S wounds? Talking to one of are long time Fire Medic Units thats all they say they use but then again thats all they are supplied with. One of my OIS had a responding officer shot in the left lower cheek, jaw, neck area with #4 shotgun pellets and from what I had seen 4x4's would not cover the area. One officer KILOD last year was shot with a 7.62x39mm and the bleeding was massive from reports given. What kind of dressing can handle these types of wounds? Most times its multiple hits with exits so how do you plug the holes just to get them to the E/R alive.

Hey I've stopped a lot of bleeding in this manner over the years as well and there is nothing wrong with sticking to the old tried and true approaches.

Especially where the more dynamic stuff may not be available.

Using an Israeli Bandage and hemostatic agents is just whats new and now. It's kinda like using dial up for internet. It works but not as quick and in some cases you gotta go new school if you want better results faster.

Oh and in my kit along with the new school stuff is standard old gauze padsas well.

One thing I HIGHLY recommend regardless is to have a roll of curlex (rolled gauze). It's great for packing a wound that is deep and or wide.

And if you pack it into a wound it facilitates better results from direct pressure.

FMF_Doc
07-11-09, 04:33
I've sealed wounds with 4x4s and duct tape, you use what will get the job done.

Direct pressure, followed by pressure bandage is the way to go, now if you have things like the clotting agents handy that would be the time to use them.

Large wounds just take up more supplies, that's one reason I like duct tape. It, kerlex and lot's of 4x4's have helped me save more than one life.

Things get really interesting when you have multiple patients with multiple wounds, including yourself.

PA PATRIOT
07-11-09, 18:35
How about 5"x9" Kendall Tendersorb Wet Pruf Abdominal pads is this a good choice to replace basic Gauze 4x4's?

NinjaMedic
07-11-09, 23:23

Unfortunatly the reality is that if you are hit COM with a high power projectile like the 7.62x39 you will have a very high mortality rate. Best dressing? Your hand and some gauze. Are there better solutions out there? Yes, however if you are struck with a rifle round you will typically need a tourniquet if its an extremity wound or a gloved hand if its a torso wound (likely followed by a body bag realistically.

apache64
07-18-09, 09:32
TacMed, we train to never give up. Please don't program guys to think they are 10-7 if they are hit. Attitude is a huge part of survival. Realistic or not, you never give up hope if you are hit or if you are lending aid.

PA PATRIOT
07-18-09, 12:36
The one thing I would never ever do is give up on wounded brother unless it is so obvious (Major Brain destruction) that there was no chance for survival. Barring that any other hit or hits to the body would be direct pressure with multiple 5x9's and extremities packed out with roll gauze and elastic bandages with the use of temp Tourniquets if major bleeding is seen. Since I'm only trained as a Police First responder and BLS I can only do the best I can while en-route to the hospital.

The above is why I made my first post in this section so to construct a basic kit with the gear that will make the most difference when needed. Once I figure out the gear my local E/R will help supply it.

NinjaMedic
07-18-09, 15:44
Here is the list I would pursue:

10pr - Large Non-Latex Gloves
1 - SOF-T Tourniquet
1 - "Izzy" dressing FCP-05 6" with Slider
2 - 4" rolls of Kerlix
4"- 6" Thick stack of 4"x4" Non-Sterile Gauze
2 - Triangular bandages
1 - Trauma Dressing (Large like 20"x15" Gauze pad)

If trained: In separate bag in Trunk -
BVM
OPA/NPA - Adult Sized

Place the supplies in a ziplock baggy, roll out the air, and keep in the door sill between door/b-post and seat. Accessible by feel from prone or supine possition on ground. Preferably a complete set on both sides of the vehicle.

Shipped from Chinook Med - $46.84

apache64 - I am aware of how LEO's are trained. There is a difference in never giving up and recognizing the extent of someones injuries. As professionals we should understand the dangers and implications of what we do. If you are hit by a projectile of enough power to penetrate your vest it will very likey cause irreperable damage. Hopefully your training, warrior mindset, and adrenaline will allow you to succesfully return fire and suppress the threat before you become incapacitated. If you are my patient you and your family and your borthers and sisters can be comforted by the knowledge that you will recieve literally the best pre-hospital medical care in the United States bar none. I will not give up on you. I will take you to a medical facility with great trauma surgeons and ER Staff. They will not give up on you. Regardless, despite everyone fighting for your life and hoping and praying that by some miracle they will be able save you, there is a good possibility that you will not make it. That is not deffeatist, or inappropriate. It is the truth. I hope I never have to lose another friend but it will happen to some of us. Being honest and open with someone is different than programing someone to give up, and if you are someone willing to give up you are not working with me.

The answer to the OP's question is that after pulling your buddy into the back of his patrol car you dont take the time to put an occlusive dressing on his chest wound. You place a gloved hand over it and seal it during the trip to the hospital. There are other solutions such as the Ascherman or Bolin chest seal's however few officers in this country will have one of those available.

"Is using multiple 4x4's good enough with direct pressure for most G/S wounds?"
Yes. However if it looks bad and you can place a tourniquet above it . . . do so. If you think it is so bad that you cant wait for the ambulance to arrive? Then its bad enough for a tourniquet. COM wounds will need packing and direct pressure.

"One of my OIS had a responding officer shot in the left lower cheek, jaw, neck area with #4 shotgun pellets and from what I had seen 4x4's would not cover the area." Typically you will not see life treatening hemhoraging from here other than the neck which you will attempt to control with gauze and direct pressure.

"How about 5"x9" Kendall Tendersorb Wet Pruf Abdominal pads is this a good choice to replace basic Gauze 4x4's?" Sure, only harder to obtain and a handful of 4x4's typically works fine.

I wish more officers were prepared for caring for themselves or another downed officer.

Does that clear everything up for eveyone?

apache64
07-20-09, 10:02
10-4 guys. Thanks for the info. I, too am looking for the gear and training. Philly, we lost 3 in one attack on our side of the state. Tacmed, I appreciate your training and experience. I have had several co-workers seriously wounded. 5 headwounds with center-fire. Three made it and two did not. I was just reminding everyone to don't give up hope. Amazing what hits the badguys live through. We can do it, too! Our commrades in EMS are amazing and make a huge difference.