PDA

View Full Version : New Pmags

tvone
07-07-09, 22:04
I recently purchased a few new pmags. These are non-window, tan, M models.

I noticed some differences.

They are lighter. The feed lips are farther apart. There's a little more play in the magwell.

When loaded with 15 rounds and dropped from 4 feet, it looses a few rounds.

Are they made from the same material or are they thinner.

The shelll body is 11% lighter than the old version.

Any issues showing up with these magazines?

Magsz
07-07-09, 22:37
I have four of the new revision M Pmags and i havent noticed any issues with them.

I had one mag filled with sand, mud and all manner of crap at a class a few months ago and it continued to function just fine despite being dirty as hell.

What lower are you fitting these in?

The M revision mags fit wonderfully in my LMT lowers whereas some of the older windowed and non windowed mags wouldnt drop free.

JackOSU
07-07-09, 22:42
My new M versions have run fine and did not fail me once during the recent class I attended. I don't think Rich and the gang would introduce an updated product if it was flawed. I wouldn't worry about using them one bit. YMMV.

tvone
07-07-09, 23:11
The older versions were a bit tight in my Superior and CMMG lowers, but still worked well.

New version fits it fine in all of my lowers: YHM, Stag, RRA, Superior, and CMMG.

The new ones just don't feel as solid as the older versions.

tylerw02
07-08-09, 14:14
I had several of the older P-Mags and they fit my five Sun Devil lowers fine, my three CMMGs fine, and my Colt just fine.

I purchased twenty of the newer gen P-Mags (dated Jan 09). They would not fit my Sun Devil lowers at all. They had to be forced in and out of my CMMG lowers. They functioned fine in my Colt.

I measured the contact points on that particular batch compared to my older P-Mags (which all worked fine and dropped three in all brands) to find they were .05" larger than the old ones.

I called customer service and was told the outside dimensions were the same and they should measure the same. I explained the situation and was informed there was no way they measured differently and I must be measuring wrong. I asked if I could send them back and exchange. I was told I could but that if they fit a Colt lower there was nothing wrong with them and they would be shipped back and that any lower they didn't fit was out of spec.

I took sandpaper to them, and after two hours of work they fit all three brands of lowers and dropped free in the Colt and CMMG lowers. They required a little tug to drop from the Sun Devil lowers, which I suspect will cease with use.

Recently, I purchased two of twenty round P-Mags of the new gen (I forget the date) to use from my SPR-type rifle. They measure the same as the old gen P-Mags and drop free fine in my Sun Devil lowers. Either they made a change to their early design or there were some QC issues.

YMMV

NickB
07-08-09, 16:34
I had several of the older P-Mags and they fit my five Sun Devil lowers fine, my three CMMGs fine, and my Colt just fine.

I purchased twenty of the newer gen P-Mags (dated Jan 09). They would not fit my Sun Devil lowers at all. They had to be forced in and out of my CMMG lowers. They functioned fine in my Colt.

I measured the contact points on that particular batch compared to my older P-Mags (which all worked fine and dropped three in all brands) to find they were .05" larger than the old ones.

I called customer service and was told the outside dimensions were the same and they should measure the same. I explained the situation and was informed there was no way they measured differently and I must be measuring wrong. I asked if I could send them back and exchange. I was told I could but that if they fit a Colt lower there was nothing wrong with them and they would be shipped back and that any lower they didn't fit was out of spec.

I took sandpaper to them, and after two hours of work they fit all three brands of lowers and dropped free in the Colt and CMMG lowers. They required a little tug to drop from the Sun Devil lowers, which I suspect will cease with use.

Recently, I purchased two of twenty round P-Mags of the new gen (I forget the date) to use from my SPR-type rifle. They measure the same as the old gen P-Mags and drop free fine in my Sun Devil lowers. Either they made a change to their early design or there were some QC issues.

YMMV

Tyler - all drop-free issues should be resolved with the current PMAGs being produced. Sorry you had to sandpaper your mags - shoot me an email with your shipping address before you buy more. I'll send one out for you to test-fit just to verify.

tylerw02
07-08-09, 16:39
Nick,

I just purchased two of the 20 round ones that are of more recent manufacture and they work fine in all three brands and do drop free. Thanks again.

Agile53
07-08-09, 16:52
+1 to Magsz above post. I also have four 30rd. current gen. (M rev) Pmags & just like his, they fit fine in my LMT.
Also like Magsz, my older (2008 manuf. date) Pmags would not drop free until I removed the nipples/nubs on either
side of the spine of the mags. Possibly this link to an old thread here may shed some light on this.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30029&highlight=Pmags+dropping+free
Think this issue is resolved now w/ Nick jumping in.

RAM Engineer
07-08-09, 19:19
Tyler - all drop-free issues should be resolved with the current PMAGs being produced. Sorry you had to sandpaper your mags - shoot me an email with your shipping address before you buy more. I'll send one out for you to test-fit just to verify.

Does anyone know what dealers currently have the M-rev mags in stock? I've been wanting to buy some, but all the online stores still show the pics of the old style and make no mention of the revision. None of the websites specify if the new ones are in stock or not.

thanks,
Jason

JSGlock34
07-08-09, 21:02
Does anyone know what dealers currently have the M-rev mags in stock? I've been wanting to buy some, but all the online stores still show the pics of the old style and make no mention of the revision. None of the websites specify if the new ones are in stock or not.

thanks,
Jason

I ordered a few revision M Maglevel PMAGs from Go Time Gear (http://www.mygotimegear.com/category.sc?categoryId=129). Fast shipping. Excellent military/LEO discount if you qualify.

MR.T
07-08-09, 22:59
I had the same issue. I got one the very first m-rev pmags and it was extremely tight in my SA lower. I then purchased some 04-09 mags and was surprised to see that they did drop free from my SA lower. This is the first I've heard someone from magpul say that they did have issues with some of the first mags.

MR.T
07-08-09, 23:04

thanks,
Jason

http://palmettostatearmory.com has the M-rev PMAGS in stock in Black and FDE

Falar
07-09-09, 00:27
I noticed that the new ones are a bit looser in the magwell (presumably to end all drop free issues) which is a bit of a disapointment as I never had any drop free issues with the old mags and loved the tight fit in the magwell.

kaiservontexas
07-09-09, 01:02
When loaded with 15 rounds and dropped from 4 feet, it looses a few rounds.

I tossed one that was loaded to capacity, 30 rounds, the other day onto my bed. It bounced and hit the floor and lost one round.

Now I am not saying if this normal or not because I do not know, but I thought I would mention it since you mentioned something similar.

I actually was like no when it happened. I forgot a PMAG can take abuse. Then I cursed myself for being clumsy.

As for fit they work fine.

Zhurdan
07-09-09, 01:20
A magazine losing rounds when dropped isn't all that bad. It's when you drop a partially full mag and the rounds get all "jibbly-jobbly" and messed up that it's bad. Expecting a magazine to retain rounds when dropped is a high expectation. Now, if it dumped all of them, then there might be a problem, but one or two... then stop dropping your magazines!;)

Looking for faults by subjecting things to tests is find if you are in R&D, but are you really going to try to drop them in real life? Survey says.... NO. Worst case senarios are things that are going to be encountered by about .025% of the people here, and as the saying goes... shit happens.

Shotdown
07-09-09, 01:33
I ordered a few revision M Maglevel PMAGs from Go Time Gear (http://www.mygotimegear.com/category.sc?categoryId=129). Fast shipping. Excellent military/LEO discount if you qualify.

Beat me to it. I've dealt with him many times FTF. Great guy and company. I highly recommend them.

http://mygotimegear.com/product.sc?categoryId=129&productId=768