PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Noveske 5.56 1/9 barrel?

hk51pdx
07-08-09, 00:00
Hello.

I've been offered an upper supposedly built by Grant @ G&R which has the following barrel markings:

Noveske 5.56 NMm0 9P SS

I am guessing this a 1/9 twist polygonal rifling, but i've not heard of this from Noveske (not that i know all he has offered). Does anyone have information on this barrel? I would definitely prefer 1/7 like my other Noveskes, but i'm willing to consider it if there is positive feedback here.

Thanks.

Jim

bkb0000
07-08-09, 00:49
i don't know what the 9p is, but i've got a dollar says Noveske's never produced a 1/9 twist barrel. ever.

DPB
07-08-09, 00:58
Sir, I believe you owe me a dollar.

Grant can verify this. About three years ago he sold me a 10.5 inch Noveske 1/9 polygonal twist barrel, that I believe was the only one that was the production over run from a very small (single digit) test run for some agency. It was the only one he had in stock at the time.

I've never heard of another one, though.

It's just like any other 10.5 inch Noveske, but it's 1/9.

bkb0000
07-08-09, 01:27
Sir, I believe you owe me a dollar.

Grant can verify this. About three years ago he sold me a 10.5 inch Noveske 1/9 polygonal twist barrel, that I believe was the only one that was the production over run from a very small (single digit) test run for some agency. It was the only one he had in stock at the time.

I've never heard of another one, though.

It's just like any other 10.5 inch Noveske, but it's 1/9.

i knew, the moment i clicked "submit," someone would have some obscure custom noveske relic with a 1/9 twist. PM me your paypal email.

does your roll mark look anything like his?

SWATcop556
07-08-09, 01:35
I would just email/ PM Grant and see what he remembers. I know I can't keep every barrel, upper, BCG, CH, or other configuration every company puts out in large or small runs, but Grant seems to just remember that kind of thing. If he built it, I know he'll have an answer.

I was going to bet that Grant would remember, but BKB0000 having to shell out a buck keeps me from it. I have just as good of luck when it comes to gambling, which is no luck at all. :cool:

DPB
07-08-09, 01:42
Since I have been acknowledged as the keeper of an obscure custom Noveske relic, I think we can call it even.:D

That's one of the more complementary things anyone has said about me lately.

I'm downrange right now, so I can't actually check the rollmark, and I can't remember what it looked like. But since it really was an obscure item (I think Grant told me that the total production run was four barrels), I don't know if my roll mark not looking like his would mean anything.

I would be very disturbed to learn that someone is fraudulently rollmarking "NOVESKE" on someone elses barrels.

I'll be back at the ranch early next month, and I'll check the roll mark.

nickdrak
07-08-09, 01:42
I know Noveske has done some limited runs of 1/8 barrels as I have one, a 14.5" Afghan. It is marked "Noveske 5.56 NMm0 8P". I also know that Wes of MSTN has also used Noveske "8P" 1/8 SS barrels for some of his custom builds in the past.

Having said that, It seems reasonable that they could have done a run of 1/9 "9P" barrels in the past. A simple phone call directly to Noveske should clear this matter up.

There should also be a serial # on the bottom of the barrel, directly behind the muzzle. Im sure you could confirm the specs of the barrel with Noveske if you had that #....

Todd.K
07-08-09, 10:45
It's unlikely that barrel was made after we started to serial number the barrels.

We used to make a few 1/9 twist barrels for the guys that just would not believe that 55gr would shoot well in a 1/7.

bkb0000
07-08-09, 15:32
It's unlikely that barrel was made after we started to serial number the barrels.

We used to make a few 1/9 twist barrels for the guys that just would not believe that 55gr would shoot well in a 1/7.

i've fired 45gr. PMC through NRW as well as WOA barrels, 1/7t each, and floated between 1 and 1.25 MOA with 5 shot groups for each. underpowered, underweight, short-round ammo- and still 300% better accuracy than i'll ever need.

anyone who thinks you cant shoot 55gr. through a 1/7 has never been in the military, and knows pretty much nothing about ballistics.