PDA

View Full Version : Black to Ranger Green

Dave L.
01-23-07, 01:25
I have noticed SWAT/SRT/SERT units switching slowly from black to Ranger Green...Can anyone explain if there is a reason for this or is it just a trend?

And yes I know black is noticeable and green will blend with a bush- any other reasons?

Robb Jensen
01-23-07, 03:41
They like Gucci gear/high CDI factor! ;)

CDI=chicks dig it!

I like the Ranger green myself :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/newpics002.jpg

On my 3gun rifle I went w/coyote and dark earth brown.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/newpics004.jpg

Dave L.
01-23-07, 04:33
I always thought black was "the badass" color

Is that an LMT lower? What kind of pins are those holding the trigger group in(with that cross bar)?

Robb Jensen
01-23-07, 04:37
I always thought black was "the badass" color

Is that an LMT lower? What kind of pins are those holding the trigger group in(with that cross bar)?

Yes it's an LMT upper, lower and barrel.

Those are KNS anti-rotational pins. I use them because they make the 2-stage triggers last longer and makes each trigger pull very consistant.

Dave L.
01-23-07, 05:10
Yes it's an LMT upper, lower and barrel.

Those are KNS anti-rotational pins. I use them because they make the 2-stage triggers last longer and makes each trigger pull very consistant.

So those help a 2 stage from wearing out and becoming a single stage?

Robb Jensen
01-23-07, 05:49
So those help a 2 stage from wearing out and becoming a single stage?

Yes. They lessen the sloppy fit of the hammer to trigger. I don't have any 9mm ARs but I've heard from several people tell me that they help make the lowers last longer as well. 9mm elongates the hammer and trigger pin holes in the receivers.

rob_s
01-23-07, 06:03
It seems that ranger green is the new tan, which was the new OD, which was the new black.

Personally I like grey, but nobody makes anything in grey so I have to make my own.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/204150/1577979outdoortrio.jpg
(how strange, I don't own any of these anymore....)

Robb Jensen
01-23-07, 06:14
Nice Rob_S, I like the middle one a lot. I'll bet that rifle was VERY lightweight.

rob_s
01-23-07, 06:44
Nice Rob_S, I like the middle one a lot. I'll bet that rifle was VERY lightweight.
It was, and it ran great (the guy I sold it to split it up), plus it had a flame-job on the barrel.

Interestingly, it turns out that a standard aluminum lower with carbine stock weighs almost exactly the same as the Cav lower. It's part of the reason why I got rid of the Cav.

mark5pt56
01-23-07, 07:55
The whole color thing has always made me wonder sometimes. For most, the main reason should be for uniformity and identification. For the most part, actual camoflouge is not an issue. I can see rural operations for approaches and set up on the specified areas, other than that and you're looking cool.

Typically, nomex is in black, black it supposed to be more "intimidating"

I can remember speaking with a Canadian unit(Piel) about their selection of gray for the uniform. He explained gray "disapeared" the quickest in low light.

If budgetary concerns are the limiter, OD is a good all around color to use.

molsen
01-23-07, 09:31
Way to hijack a thread by posting pictures of rifles that have nothing to do with what the original poster asked.

One reason (from what I understand) that many teams are going to Ranger Green is because OD is a pretty common color for various police tactical teams. After wearing a set of OD fatigues or a flightsuit, they fade enough that Ranger Green matches very well. Often regular old OD nylon is too bright or too dark or there are just too many variations of OD on the market.

rob_s
01-23-07, 09:43
Way to hijack a thread by posting pictures of rifles that have nothing to do with what the original poster asked.

Welcome to the internet, it happens.:p

I think the discussion was broadened to include a general discussion of colors, and the OP doesn't seem to mind.

mark5pt56
01-23-07, 09:55
Out of curiousity, is the "new" foilage green the same as OD? I'm not real fashion minded, so the question.

USMC03
01-23-07, 12:55
I have noticed SWAT/SRT/SERT units switching slowly from black to Ranger Green...Can anyone explain if there is a reason for this or is it just a trend?

And yes I know black is noticeable and green will blend with a bush- any other reasons?

As a general rule (in this case there are many exceptions), City Police SWAT teams wear black and Sheriff's Office wear OD / Woodland / Etc.

Color selection is regional and changes from place to place. I know of a lot of smaller teams that wear woodland camo because they were able to get uniforms and other realted gear donated or from DRMO.

There are many city Police SWAT Teams in the certain areas of the country (southwest for example) that wear OD or tan because a black uniform / gear get's extreemly hot when it's 100+ degrees.

Every agency makes it's own rules. It's not like the military where there is a standard SOP. Each agency (city / county / state) decides what works best for them and most don't care what a neighboring agency is using in reference to uniform color.

Some agencies do what works best for them, other agencies base gear / weapon selection on a coolness factor, and other agencies try to imulate larger agencies and use the same guns / gear (ie. the old if it's good enough for the FBI / DEA / LAPD / Major Metro PD, it's good enough for us mentality).

We wear black.....I think we'd be better off with OD / Ranger green as black stands out in all conditions including night, it's extreemly hot in the summer (average temps here from late May to early September are 100+), etc.

But it's not cost effective and can be a logistical nightmare to have 40+ guys change all their uniforms, body armor, and other SWAT related gear to another color, paint all the vehicles another color, etc.

Dave L.
01-23-07, 14:15
Rob, I see a little grass up in the corner of that picture...and thats enough green to have your picture make its contribution to this thread:D

Dave

Patrick Aherne
01-23-07, 18:43
The local FBI SWAT went to green a couple of years ago. It makes sense, black sucks when you're in the heat. Now my uniform, it's super cool: tac-tiger, woo! hooo!

Uniforms are often chosen because they are cool, not for any utility or usability reasons. I believe green is about the best, even for urban-suburban ops, unless you are in the desert/southwest where tan might be better. There's always a tree to hide behind; not many of them are black or navy blue.

Jay Cunningham
01-23-07, 19:03
It seems that ranger green is the new tan, which was the new OD, which was the new black.

Personally I like grey, but nobody makes anything in grey so I have to make my own.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/204150/1577979outdoortrio.jpg
(how strange, I don't own any of these anymore....)

Rob,

Just curious why you don't Duracoat your carbines bright yellow?

Grey is sort of "tactical", isn't it?

:p

jmart
01-23-07, 19:04
We wear black.....I think we'd be better off with OD / Ranger green as black stands out in all conditions including night, it's extreemly hot in the summer (average temps here from late May to early September are 100+), etc.

But it's a DRY heat!;)

Seriously, if you just moved to the Springs you'd be much more comfortable. Here the average is 93+.

USMC03
01-23-07, 20:32
But it's a DRY heat!;)

Seriously, if you just moved to the Springs you'd be much more comfortable. Here the average is 93+.

I grew up in the Springs and still consider it my home. Wife still works there and we only live 20 - 30 minutes away.....But for the work I do, I like the customer base where I work much better. In the newest stats released a couple months ago we ranked as having the 3rd highest crime rate in the state. To bad I don't work on commission:D Sorry for the hijack.

-Jeff

Erick Gelhaus
01-27-07, 10:14
Out of curiousity, is the "new" foilage green the same as OD? I'm not real fashion minded, so the question.

Nope, not at all. FolIage green is - to my color deficient eyes - a lot closer to a mint green than OD, OG, etc.

Having to wear ACUs (Universal Camouflage Pattern) at least one weekend a month I'm underwhelmed with them.

LE wise, especially at a Sheriff's Department, I really like the Ranger Green coloration for gear, etc. Had I not bought and rigged a plate carrier in MJKhaki while in the Middle East, I'd have set one up in R/G.

R/G seems to blend, disappear better while foliage green seems too bright to me.

Low Drag
01-27-07, 10:45
The burning question is this..........

Can I get shoes & belts to match? :eek:

Cameron
01-27-07, 10:54
Not only can you get belts and shoes, but I have seen a lovely little pantie and garter set too!

mark5pt56
01-27-07, 11:09
The burning question is this..........

Can I get shoes & belts to match? :eek:

You know you will shoot better if you do.

Low Drag
01-27-07, 19:04
You know you will shoot better if you do.

I bet you're right!!! :D

John Chapman
01-31-07, 01:42
Black is the easiest color for the eye to see when it's moving. Green blends into so many more backgrouds as well; primarily because nothing in nature is 100% black.

At night sometime, have one dude dress in black and another dress in green; have them lay down in the shadows on someone's driveway or lawn. You'll be enlightened.

Besides, green is the new black.....it looks cooler.

Bolt_Overide
01-31-07, 12:39
Screw all that cosmo tactical crap, rifles were meant to be black.

molsen
01-31-07, 13:36
Screw all that cosmo tactical crap, rifles were meant to be black.
Amazingly, this thread is about gear, not rifles.:rolleyes: