PDA

View Full Version : Shorty Ammo Questions

Jon G23
07-08-09, 10:43
What do you all prefer to shoot in your SBR's? I'm getting an 11.5" and 14.5" and I believe both are 1:7 twist (Colt's). Will the 55 through 75 gr bullets all shoot fine in these?

I was thinking 75 gr TAP for HD and shooting 55-75 of various makes for practice/plinking.

Anyone shoot and like Black Hills Ammo?

Cameron
07-08-09, 10:49
Sounds like you have the ammo selection right, that is what I run in my SBRs.

Cameron

RD62
07-08-09, 15:45
Yes to all of your questions!

Black Hills is good stuff! I like the 75gr TAP for defensive purproses, and usually shoot 55-75gr stuff for practice. Whatever I can find.

-RD62

RojasTKD
07-08-09, 21:35
Would a 55 give an advantage in higher velocities in a short barreled rifle?

dbrowne1
07-09-09, 05:54
I use the same stuff I use in my longer carbines - typically XM193.

As far as advantages in SBRs, if you're talking about wound ballistics then the conventional wisdom is that the longer bullets (like the 75gr TAP mentioned above) are superior, as they have a much lower velocity threshold for fragmenting. Most SBRs will barely hit the fragmentation threshold velocity for shorter bullets, if they hit it at all. They will hit the threshold for the 75/77 grain loads recommended by the wound ballistics folks, like DocGKR who posts on this and other boards, though they quickly drop below it - usually in less than 100 yards.

rob_s
07-09-09, 06:50
My "go to" mags (hunting, defense, accuracy at distance) is 75 grain Black Hills for all my ARs, regardless of barrel length.

I shoot Wolf almost exclusively in my guns, and have been recently working with the 75 grain variety but have not tested it for accuracy. I know that I can hit a 6" steel plate at 120 yards with it and that's about it.

FWIW, I have been able to hit, consistently, a 6" steel plate at 200 yards with a "pencil" barrel 11.5" long with XM193 and a 4 MOA Aimpoint. According to the internet this is not humanly possible, but I surprised even myself when I did it. :D Don't believe the hype that SBRs can't be, or aren't, accurate.

ranger216
07-10-09, 10:18
Generally the shorter the barrel the less time the round has to reach max velocity, so the lighter the bullet the faster the rounds can achieve max velocity. I hope that makes sense.

RojasTKD
07-10-09, 11:08
Generally the shorter the barrel the less time the round has to reach max velocity, so the lighter the bullet the faster the rounds can achieve max velocity. I hope that makes sense.

Yes, that why I brought it up in regards to an SBR.

I know in short pistols some often recommend light rounds to increase velocity witch in turn lends to more reliable expansion.

Just not sure how that relates to Short Barreled Rifles or at what distance the velocity affect bullet performance. I have read that in most SBR (depending on actual barrel length), that with in 100 yards most 5.56 rounds will not have enough velocity for optimal performance.

This is one reason a 6.5 or 6.8 SBR build my be in my future.

ranger216
07-10-09, 12:12
Yes, that why I brought it up in regards to an SBR.

I know in short pistols some often recommend light rounds to increase velocity witch in turn lends to more reliable expansion.

Just not sure how that relates to Short Barreled Rifles or at what distance the velocity affect bullet performance. I have read that in most SBR (depending on actual barrel length), that with in 100 yards most 5.56 rounds will not have enough velocity for optimal performance.

This is one reason a 6.5 or 6.8 SBR build my be in my future.

There are several barrel devises that aid the build up of pressure, like the KX3 or PWS CQB