PDA

View Full Version : Mil-Spec Mag Spring life

Dave L.
01-23-07, 01:36
I have a ton of mags laying around with mil-spec SS springs in them, my plan is to replace them 3 at a time with ISMI CS springs as they wear out. Does anyone know about how long the SS spring will last loaded with 25 rounds and still be reliable?
These mags are OKay Industries and Center Industries Corp basically brand new.
(anyone know which of these two brands has a better track record? The Okay's seem to have better fit & finish)

Thanks,
Dave

Robb Jensen
01-23-07, 03:39
Compression doesn't wear the springs out. Compression then decompression is what wears the springs.

If they wore out just from being compressed, the suspension springs on your car would wear out quickly as well.

Dave L.
01-23-07, 04:27
Compression doesn't wear the springs out. Compression then decompression is what wears the springs.

If they wore out just from being compressed, the suspension springs on your car would wear out quickly as well.

Damn good point, I never thought of it that way. So how long do you think the life span is with minimal use (emptying a mag 4 times a year?)...Or can you just give your experience with mag springs going down?
Thanks,
Dave

Robb Jensen
01-23-07, 04:32
Damn good point, I never thought of it that way. So how long do you think the life span is with minimal use (emptying a mag 4 times a year?)...Or can you just give your experience with mag springs going down?
Thanks,
Dave

Used that little, I would imagine they would probably last 50yrs. If you use chrome-silcone springs you'll likely wear out the mag body before the spring.

To me mags are disposable. Once a mag starts to fail to lock the bolt back or feed correctly I usually dispose of it or use it for 'dry practice' , failure drills and to practice reloads.

If I get mags given to me or I buy them at a VERY low cost I'll sometimes replace the springs and use Magpul followers in them.