PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Stock

RancidSumo
07-08-09, 17:17
Well, I have had one a for handguards and one for a sling, now it is time for the stock (although the sling issue still hasn't been settled)

I have done some looking and have found the following three that I like
LMT SOPMOD
VLTOR EMOD
MAGPUL CTR

Of these three, which do you recommend and why? Are there any others I should take a look at?

Bread is People
07-08-09, 17:24
I vote for the CTR. It's light, fairly inexpensive, gets the job done, and comes in a range of pretty colors. What will you be using this rifle primarily for? Reason I ask is because of the cheek weld and if you want/need one or not. I find they are really not required in most cases, unless you will be at the bench rest most of the time.

RancidSumo
07-08-09, 17:26
The rifle will be used for a bit of everything.

uspopo
07-08-09, 17:53
I prefer the CTR myself with the LMT a close second. If you can try all 3 out to see what feels the best and decide from there...

Blob
07-08-09, 18:03
My vote is for the MOE stock. It's about $45 cheaper than the CTR and I don't think the friction lock and side sling mount on the CTR are worth that much. The tiny bit of wobble on my MOE is not a concern at all.

PRGGodfather
07-08-09, 18:22
In order of most expensive: SOPMOD, Emod, CTR and MOE.

For carbines, the Magpul CTR or MOE versions have excellent weight, balance and value.

The SOPMOD and the Vltor Emod are excellent stocks with cheekpieces and storage, but have increased weight. As such, they balance better on mid-length gas systems than carbines, especially when a railed fore end is used.

The CTR will lock up the tightest, which many people prefer.

All will work in a pinch. The decision depends on your preferences and your budget.

greene
07-08-09, 18:47
Have a sopmod on an lmt 16 inch with omega rail, its balances the carbine out great for me. Rather it be heavier towards the rear, like my wife....Just kidding she might be right behind me.

Hellfire
07-08-09, 19:14
My vote is for the MOE stock. It's about $45 cheaper than the CTR and I don't think the friction lock and side sling mount on the CTR are worth that much. The tiny bit of wobble on my MOE is not a concern at all.

IMO the friction lock is nice. Absolutely no play in mine whatsoever. It may not be necessary, but it IS nice. I ran a VLTOR prior and the CTR was worth the money IMO.

curriek
07-08-09, 19:33
Never had a SOPMOD... but the EMod I had on my Del-ton middy was nice. It was a HBAR and helped to balance it out. The cheek weld and storage options were nice. I used the tubes for batteries... didn't find much use for the storage compartment.

I have a Stag carbine now and run a CTR. IMO the CTR is one of the best options out there for a carbine. It is lightweight and does not rattle one bit. It isn't too expensive either. If I was on a tight budget I would definitely look into the MOEs. Might also want to look into Magpul's ACS.

RancidSumo
07-08-09, 20:06
Thanks for all of the responses. It is looking like the CTR may be the best option since it will be a fairly light rifle with the only attachment on the front a possible TD Stubby.
Keep 'em coming

matthewdanger
07-08-09, 20:11
I tend to prefer the MOE stocks. I attach my slings at the rear of the receiver so I don't need the QD sling attachment points that the CTR has and I find that the mil-spec MOE stocks fight tight enough for me.

SwatDawg15
07-09-09, 01:38
I run CTR's on all my carbines. I am wanting UBR for one of my weapons, but I'm trying to wait until the supply catches up. I will not pay 350 for one.

07-09-09, 01:57
I love the SOPMOD on my 14.5 inch carbine. Roommate has the VLTOR modstock and he really likes it.

rychencop
07-09-09, 02:33
i bought a emod for the storage and cheek piece. i like it for it's purpose, but i hate the lever that allows it to slide. pos imo. i should have got the reg. modstock instead. the sopmod is too much for me to justify in spending.

SkiDevil
07-09-09, 05:50
As it has already been said ALL three stocks are excellent choices.

-I have tried all three of the stocks. I now own two CTRs.

I purchased the MagPul CTR because I felt that the stock locked-up very solidly and I liked the simple no non-sense design. Very Simple. Simple Good.

If I need to carry batteries, I can put them in a cargo pocket or in a bag. And as for the check-wield. I run a low powered scope on my 16" carbine and an Aimpoint on my N4.

I have no problems shooting either. If it is possible, try to SHOOT a rifle with each one and judge for yourself. Most people I know are perfectly happy with the basic M4 generic type stock. It is all personal preference.

SkiDevil

P.S. If you do decide to buy the MagPul, buy the original, not the MOE. The price difference is not that great. The lock-down feature may be worthwhile later if you decide to modify the rifle for precision shooting. Another+ you can buy just about any of the stocks you are considering with all of the hardware required in a "KIT" from various retailers.

dragonfly
07-09-09, 10:01
Not that it *really* helps, but the Magpul ACS is due 'shortly.'
http://dragonfly-media.com/_img/toolbox/sig/dfmini.png

LonghunterCO
07-09-09, 10:17
I have a SOPMOD on my 16" setup and CTR and the not so sexy regular carbine stocks on my SBRs. I really like them all. If you are considering a ASAP sling attachment, or any of the other rear of the receiver attachment plates, them you might look at the MOE stock.

tylerw02
07-09-09, 10:33

+1

I can't believe I considered the CTR after getting an MOE for nearly half the price.

Failure2Stop
07-09-09, 10:37
On 16" carbines I find the CTR/MOE to be a bit lighter than I prefer. They are still good, don't get me wrong, I just like a little more weight toward my shoulder.

For 16" guns I prefer the feel of the SOPMOD, but I am not really sure that it is worth $200. For the money the E-Mod seems superior to the SOPMOD, though I am looking forward to trying out the ACS I don't know if I would wait on it's release.

TOrrock
07-09-09, 11:33
I'm a big fan of the Vltor E-Modstock.

I've not run a more comfortable stock on an AR, ever.

It fits me, has storage compartments for spare parts and batteries, and is very tough.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Colt%20Rifles/P1010312.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Colt%20Rifles/P1010310.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Colt%20Rifles/P1010313.jpg

S391
07-09-09, 11:41
I run CTR's on all my carbines. I am wanting UBR for one of my weapons, but I'm trying to wait until the supply catches up. I will not pay 350 for one.

How does the weight of the two stocks compare? Is the UBR much heavier than the CTR?

el guapo
07-09-09, 11:56
I've used the CTR and the SoPMOD. I prefer the Cheekweld of the SOPMOD and like a littl more weight in the back. I use it on a 10.5 SBR and only use the storage for my papers.

Pistola
07-09-09, 12:31
+1 for the CTR stock. It locks up really solid, and inexpensive:D

ranger216
07-13-09, 13:07
I vote for the CTR

CarlosDJackal
07-13-09, 14:28
I vote for either the CTR or MOE (I own both as well as a UBR).

RancidSumo
07-13-09, 16:11
For those of you with both the MOE and the CTR, which do you like better and why? Is the CTR worth the extra money? The local shop has a MOE and I like the feel of it so I think I will go with either that or the CTR (not from him though, I refuse to deal with the scum that buy up all of the CMP ammo and tack $100 onto the price. People like him are the reason I have not been able to afford to shoot my M1 in a while. $179 for 240 rounds of CMP 30.06:mad:)