PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel 16" tactical

Blankwaffe
07-08-09, 21:30
Looking to try something new and not 5.56.Ive gone about as far as I can with the 5.56 configurations as well as needing more punch and range without going 7.62 NATO,which I have already.
The Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf is what I looked at initially,but the 6.5 Grendel is geared toward my style of shooting and hunting.Plus it looks to be alot easier to find ammo for.
So does anyone here have an opinion/experience on the 6.5 Grendel Tactical 16" upper?
Would a longer barrel be a better choice with this caliber?
Is the muzzle brake worth the additional money,or is the standard FH all thats needed?
Any info that can be provided is welcome as Im getting ready to put one on order friday.
Im staying with Alexander Arms,so that is the brand focus/preference I have.
Primary use will be target and hunting,but maybe used as a defensive training weapon from time to time.
TIA

RojasTKD
07-10-09, 17:12
Sorry, I can't be of any help.

But I too am interested in this caliber. It seems most here are into the 6.8. Maybe place can be of some help to both of us:

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/

Blankwaffe
07-10-09, 18:32
Thanks Rojas.
I joined the 65Grendel forum a couple days ago.Been doing some reading...was hoping to get better info from the members here.Seems to be more quality in conversation.
Yeah the 6.8 does seem to be very popular and has alot of support as a result...Ive considered it greatly and talked with the folks at AR Performance,which seems to be very experienced and quality minded bunch.
Overall I like the specs of the 6.5 Grendel for what Im looking at.Plus I have alot faith in Bill Alexander's technical knowledge/experience,build requirements in quality and overall performance.
Ive decided on staying with the 16" Tactical Grendel as it will replace my tired/worn Remington 742 for local big game hunting and will serve as a tactical weapon for training and defense.
That being said Ive committed to the purchase already.

RojasTKD
07-10-09, 21:49
It will be some time before I cn pick up a new upper/rifle. But I think I likely to go 6.5 as I want one in SBR and one that is LONG range capable (18" upper).

I will have to join over there too, soon.

Blankwaffe
07-11-09, 01:55
No need to get in a hurry for a AA 6.5 Grendel upper anyway.I was told 8-14 week wait estimated on the upper,so I did not get into a big rush with it..
It just gives me more time to get setup on the reloading supplies and other accessories like mags,optics and mounts.Going to stick the upper on a LMT Defender lower I have in waiting.Can't wait though.
As far as barrel choice,I like the 16" midlength gas system and the fact that they use a chrome lined Sabre barrel in that configuration.According to what Ive read the 16" barrel does well enough out to 600 meters with the 6.5,so it covers both purposes Im looking for.About the longest shot I get around here anyway is 400 meters max.Otherwise its within 50 meters on big game most of the time.
As far as the 65Grendel forum,it takes awhile to get approved,so go ahead and join.Been waiting a couple days for authorization to post myself.

Bill Alexander
07-12-09, 10:17
John Hanka, who runs the Grendel forum has just moved the server, so it is running a little slowly in respect to member approvals.

Recoil is mild so a brake is not necessary, just helps with sight picture so you can watch bullet strikes. I run both flash hiders and also brakes and find that muzzle flip is more of an enemy than recoil.

My favorite barrel for the caliber is 18" and the best are from Satern, but the chrome lined Sabre we use in the piston guns shoots exceptionally well. If your ranges are shorter I also have an ultralight 16" with the flash hider machined into the barrel. Finished guns run at 5 1/4 lb with the right parts.

Bill Alexander

RojasTKD
07-12-09, 12:44
Thanks for chiming in.

For the future I'd like one in:

1. 18" or 18.5" SPR style
2. 9" - 12.5" SBR
Maybe a 16" just to rounds thing out.

I don't really know what's available out there or where I can get what I'm looking for, but I'll have to find out when the time comes.

Blankwaffe
07-13-09, 03:40
John Hanka, who runs the Grendel forum has just moved the server, so it is running a little slowly in respect to member approvals.

Recoil is mild so a brake is not necessary, just helps with sight picture so you can watch bullet strikes. I run both flash hiders and also brakes and find that muzzle flip is more of an enemy than recoil.

My favorite barrel for the caliber is 18" and the best are from Satern, but the chrome lined Sabre we use in the piston guns shoots exceptionally well. If your ranges are shorter I also have an ultralight 16" with the flash hider machined into the barrel. Finished guns run at 5 1/4 lb with the right parts.

Bill Alexander

Bill,
Thanks for the information.
Looking foward to using the 6.5 Grendel.

noone
07-28-09, 15:27
I have years of experience with the 5.56x45, 308, 300 win mag, and recently acquired a 24 inch 6.5 Grendel. After working out the normal new gun bugs (break in, finding a load, scope swapping etc) the rifle shoots consistently .5 to .75 inches at 100 yards. I notice a dramatic increase in downrange impact energy (range rocks) over the 5.56..in fact, the 6.5 Grendel appears only a bit behind the 308, and that really surprised me at 350 yards with the little cartridge.

I guess the high BC really does make a big difference. In any case, I am so sold on it, that I am changing the AR I am building from 5.56 to an 18 inch Grendel. I will be using a muzzle brake as there is significantly more recoil impulse than a 5.56. But that makes sense as the bullet is 123 grains, not 55, or 69 grains. The 18 inch Grendel with a muzzle brake will be a really nice rifle.

You had asked about the 16 inch barrel, and I don't think you will loose too terribly much velocity from an 18 inch. But Bill Alexander is the "inventor" of the cartridge, and if he likes the 18 incher best, I'm going to take his advice..After all, he has access to any barrel length he wants, and picks the 18.

SBBW
08-22-09, 01:20
Guys,

I suppose I am the opposite. I have been posting on 6.5 Grendel for a while, reading here for much shorter. I have had my Grendels for almost two years. The biggest problem I have had is my Les Baer doesn't like any mags except for 30 rdrs. My 16" "kit gun costing less than 1200.00 with scope eats anything. They are close to the same accuracy out to 250-300 yds. After that, the LB starts to shine. It will shoot MOA to 550yds all day long. (that's the longest range I have shot on ). You won't go wrong with Bill's guns, or if you buy the Bolt barrel block kit. Enjoy.:cool:

fastpat
11-06-09, 08:57
Looking to try something new and not 5.56.Ive gone about as far as I can with the 5.56 configurations as well as needing more punch and range without going 7.62 NATO,which I have already.
The Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf is what I looked at initially,but the 6.5 Grendel is geared toward my style of shooting and hunting.Plus it looks to be alot easier to find ammo for.
So does anyone here have an opinion/experience on the 6.5 Grendel Tactical 16" upper?
Would a longer barrel be a better choice with this caliber?
Is the muzzle brake worth the additional money,or is the standard FH all thats needed?
Any info that can be provided is welcome as Im getting ready to put one on order friday.
Im staying with Alexander Arms,so that is the brand focus/preference I have.
Primary use will be target and hunting,but maybe used as a defensive training weapon from time to time.
TIAThat's most likely what I'll acquire in the not too distant future. From my research that barrel length and the 6.5 Grendel is a good match.

I think that with the right bullet and powder some impressive results can be had, some VERY impressive results. Most current handloads are in the 49k psi to 53k psi range, when the right combination is found that gets pressures up to the level the .223 Remington or the 5.56NATO has been for years, the 6.5 Grendel will have truly arrived.