PDA

View Full Version : ever accidentally bump fire when shooting prone or from the bench?

Ring
07-09-09, 15:38
ive done it a few time, yesterday when varmit shooting, i wasnt holding the gun tight in the sholder, and it has a light match trigger in it, i pulled the trigger, and 3 came out so fast it sounded like 1 shot, the guy i was with was like WTF!

same thing when shooting from the bench,,, loose grip on the gun and not tight in the shoulder,and BRAAAPPPP! and a stream of casings go's flying,, reall funny at the range, since they dont allow full auto or "rapid fire" :)

markm
07-09-09, 15:53
Never. :confused:

5pins
07-09-09, 16:03
Are you sure you don’t have a mechanical problem?

Ring
07-09-09, 16:05
when i was on the rifle team when i was 14, i was shooting a m14 and i did the same thing, this was long before anyone new what bumpfireing was and before the internet

d90king
07-09-09, 16:05
Never! Not even once... I do however, take my booger picker off the trigger, and out of the trigger guard after I fire a round though...

Scattergun
07-09-09, 16:07
never with an AR, but I did with my M1A when I first started shooting it.

Zhurdan
07-09-09, 16:09
Accidentally? No. There was that guy on youtube that showed a video of him actually bump firing from the shoulder on purpose, with repeatability. He seemed to have had it down. There's no way of knowing if he modified the weapon by lightening springs or something though.

I've done it from the hip, just to try it with an AK. It just looks and sounds like money burning. Not such a good thing in this economy.

If it's truely an accidental bumpfire, I'd say it could most likely be fixed with a proper hold on the weapon. Nice and snug and it shouldn't happen. If it does, you should get it looked at, I would.

markm
07-09-09, 16:12
Never! Not even once... I do however, take my booger picker off the trigger, and out of the trigger guard after I fire a round though...

Not me. I follow through on shots.

It's funny. I was shooting next to some guys at the open range one time. And they could hear my trigger resetting a second or two after each shot. They wanted to know what kind of special trigger I had in my AR. :rolleyes:

Ring
07-09-09, 16:25
Accidentally? No. There was that guy on youtube that showed a video of him actually bump firing from the shoulder on purpose, with repeatability. He seemed to have had it down. There's no way of knowing if he modified the weapon by lightening springs or something though.

I've done it from the hip, just to try it with an AK. It just looks and sounds like money burning. Not such a good thing in this economy.

If it's truely an accidental bumpfire, I'd say it could most likely be fixed with a proper hold on the weapon. Nice and snug and it shouldn't happen. If it does, you should get it looked at, I would.

i can bump from the sholder on purpose, its not hard.

d90king
07-09-09, 16:33

It's funny. I was shooting next to some guys at the open range one time. And they could hear my trigger resetting a second or two after each shot. They wanted to know what kind of special trigger I had in my AR. :rolleyes:

I do the same on strings, but never when firing from a bench on controlled shots. I generally like to see my initial results before firing additional rounds when benching a rifle. If I am doing drills and firing multiple shots different story... Even in those instances I have never bump fired by accident or on purpose for that matter...

bkb0000
07-09-09, 16:48
i've never bumpfired intentionally or accidentally, in billions of rounds and dozens of weapons with all sorts of triggers- i'd seriously take a look at your FCG, mang. that's not supposed to happen.

Artos
07-09-09, 17:35
Once on the bench...with a witness. It was on the les baer varmint. Neither of us could make it happen again.

I can only guess it was a bump....the jewell is kinda lite and assuming it was a goofy hold. That was over a year ago.

W.E.G.
07-09-09, 22:16
My AK will do it if I hold it loosely while shooting from the bench.

I think the spongy rubber buttpad on the ACE folding stock, and in combination with the rubber shoulder pad of my shooting jacket, gives just the right amount of "bounce."

Outlander Systems
07-09-09, 23:02
This is a TOS-worthy thread if I've ever seen one.

No. I haven't. When my roscoe rubber is removed from the trigger guard, the safety is flicked on simultaneously.

Shots are controlled, and deliberately taken.

m4fun
07-09-09, 23:20
I had a G2 trigger for an AK that would give me a double from the bench. Swapped that puppy out fast. Agree on checking the trigger group out.

BB01
07-10-09, 00:11
i've never bumpfired intentionally or accidentally...

same here

Fontaine
07-10-09, 02:01
I have accidentally bump fired, but that was because I was a newbie and had terrible trigger control as well as a poor form. My stock wasn't tucked firmly into my shoulder, and my cheek weld was poor, allowing for excessive movement of my finger during firing.

Accidentally bump firing is a sign of poor fundamentals, you'll wanna work on your form (better cheek weld and shoulder to stock contact?) and your trigger pull.

Never been an issue since the first time.

Outlander Systems
07-10-09, 12:26
:rolleyes: @ this thread

spamsammich
07-10-09, 13:10

I was asked the same thing last week. They thought it was some fancy two stage trigger. I was so confused.

Artos
07-10-09, 15:11
ever double sitting next to a guy when trying to finess a 1.5oz trigger on a bench gun during free recoil....it is a completely differnt meaning to the word. It will make you want to scream if it messes up your four shot group in the same hole & now you have a figure 8. I'll use free recoil on my lower kicking rigs just trying to get better groups and then go to sturdy hold just having fun burning up powder behind the bags.

ever shot trap w/ a release trigger?? it's really fun trying to make your noggin understand what you have always learned in reverse.

I admit the m4 discipline is different in the way you approach trigge control and I think trying to double on purpose is kinda silly nor have I ever had this happen on this type of weapon, but the sarcasm is kinda thick.

I had no problem with the op & felt it was a legit question.

TY44934
07-10-09, 15:37
stream of casings go's flying,, reall funny at the range, since they dont allow full auto or "rapid fire" :)

WTF?!! No "rapid fire" ?? Have the range officers never attended a carbine course or seen a Magpul instructional video?

I am getting so tired of hearing about all these FUDD range rules like "no rapid fire!." Pussies. Where do they come up with this stuff??

Zhurdan
07-10-09, 15:43
*snip*... Where do they come up with this stuff??

Probably some stupid lawyer at their insurance company unfortunately.

Scattergun
07-10-09, 15:50
WTF?!! No "rapid fire" ?? Have the range officers never attended a carbine course or seen a Magpul instructional video?

I am getting so tired of hearing about all these FUDD range rules like "no rapid fire!." Pussies. Where do they come up with this stuff??

a range that I used to shoot at had the same no rapid fire rules. They "claimed" it distracted the Trap and Skeet shooters.

diving dave
07-10-09, 15:51
Years ago I had a national match M1A. took it to the range with a buddy of mine and his girlfriend. We had to make a mountain of sandbags to get her to shoot it, since she could barely hold the thing up. She fired one shot, then next trigger pull it went "bambambam!"Tripled. I had no idea what happened back then. And of course it didnt do it when we fired it.:(

bkb0000
07-10-09, 16:48
Years ago I had a national match M1A. took it to the range with a buddy of mine and his girlfriend. We had to make a mountain of sandbags to get her to shoot it, since she could barely hold the thing up. She fired one shot, then next trigger pull it went "bambambam!"Tripled. I had no idea what happened back then. And of course it didnt do it when we fired it.:(

some people- and most women- simply lack whatever it takes to follow instuctions and fire a weapon without issue.

the time i fired a gun, i knew the stock was to be seated in my shoulder- so i put it there and held it firmly. i knew that my finger wasn't supposed to be on the trigger until firing, and that it needed to come off once done firing- so i did both those. i knew that the muzzle should be held up or otherwise not at people, so i didn't sweep anyone. i knew that to get a sight picture, i needed to shift the weapon, shift my face, and hold the weapon still.

women, and some girly men, are totally incapable of these things.. and we'll never understand it.

Thomas M-4
07-10-09, 17:04
some people- and most women- simply lack whatever it takes to follow instuctions and fire a weapon without issue.

the time i fired a gun, i knew the stock was to be seated in my shoulder- so i put it there and held it firmly. i knew that my finger wasn't supposed to be on the trigger until firing, and that it needed to come off once done firing- so i did both those. i knew that the muzzle should be held up or otherwise not at people, so i didn't sweep anyone. i knew that to get a sight picture, i needed to shift the weapon, shift my face, and hold the weapon still.

women, and some girly men, are totally incapable of these things.. and we'll never understand it.

Hea like leaning back when trying to shoot WTF The idea of a wet cane across the back at times seems like the only thing that would break that habit:rolleyes:

And with the OP question I have accidentally bump fired off the bench I had the buttstock loose to my shoulder and didn't follow through with the trigger release only got a 2 round burst and I knew right then what I did wrong corrected it and never happened again.

Artos
07-10-09, 17:33
This thread is a good reminder to help the young-un's on their 1st outing with live ammo as well.

I have been letting by 10yr old compare the various triggers and he had a strange look on his face from going to the light bench to the 2 stage and back to a shot gun and then a 62a with hammer.

It took a couple of trades for him to pay attention to the two stage.

mutterranch
07-10-09, 20:46
It can happen to anyone who doesn't pay attention to their grip and trigger. I "Bumped" my M1 last night at a club High Power match. At first I thought the gun had doubled but it happened again and I realized that it was just me being sloppy with my grip and trigger controll. OOPS!!! Lesson learned. Luckily no damage, beond my pride, was done.

Shadow1198
07-12-09, 07:52
Never accidentally bump fired from a bench. I have accidentally bump fired an H&K P9S 9mm if that counts (sweet trigger!). ;)

yrac
07-12-09, 14:10
This is a TOS-worthy thread if I've ever seen one.

I could not have said it better. Frankly, this topic degrades the quality of the site.