PDA

View Full Version : Keep my mutt rifle or sell it?

Mr.Goodtimes
07-09-09, 16:00
I've got a rifle ive pieced together using what i thought were the best components at the time but then i found this site and fount out about Noveske, BCM, LMT, Colt... i was wondering if i should keep it or sell it to fund another build, thus far the gun has run really well with no malfunctions over about 2k rds shooting Federal value pack, UMC, PMC Bronze and M193.

Here are the Specs:

-Spikes Tactical Upper
-1/7 Chrome lined 16in barrel
-Surefire MB556K
-BCM F/A BCG w Crane O Ring black extractor spring insert.
-MI Front BUIS, MI SPLP Rear BUIS
-American Defense Eotech Mount, Eotech 512
-Larue Gas Block
-Larue 11.0
-Surefire G2 in VLTOR Offset mount

-CMMG Lower
-JP 3.5lb Tactical FCG springs
-H3 Buffer
-VLTOR EMOD
-VLTOR Receiver Extension
-DD QD end plate
-MOE Grip
-Enhanced Trigger Guard

I bought the upper/lower before i really knew anything about AR's and im jumping back and fourth as to weather or not i should hang on to this thing and slowly save for another rifle/build or sell the thing and buy a Colt, LMT, BCM, or mabey a Noveske.

is this rifle up to par with what a hard use rifle should be?

Pic of Rifle (yall have probably seen it in the pic threads)

http://i26.tinypic.com/2rp7194.jpg

chadbag
07-09-09, 16:13
Personally I'd keep it. I don't seen any crap in there. I would probably put an Aimpoint on it and I am not familiar with the trigger so cannot comment with regards the trigger.

I've learned a lot since I've been on M4C myself but do not see anything that would cause me to not want to make more than tweaks.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-09-09, 16:22
thanks for the reply EGUNS! i've been craving an Aimpoint M4S in a larue or American Defense mount but at almost eight hundred bucks, im gonna have to save for a little while. and i also would really love to add a suppressor to the rifle.

Thomas M-4
07-09-09, 16:23
Its a good carbine and a very good first ar-15 you have built. I say keep it and just work on the next one you want to build.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-09-09, 16:33
Personally I'd keep it. I don't seen any crap in there. I would probably put an Aimpoint on it and I am not familiar with the trigger so cannot comment with regards the trigger.

I've learned a lot since I've been on M4C myself but do not see anything that would cause me to not want to make more than tweaks.

Its a good carbine and a very good first ar-15 you have built. I say keep it and just work on the next one you want to build.

thanks yall. i think i may upgrade the BUIS to a set of troys but that will probably be all besides mabey putting an Aimpoint M4 on there.

i think ill just start savin up for my next build! no such thing as too many rifles! :D

btw, eguns, the JP springs have been great, they really improved the trigger pull on my stock trigger that i polished. The trigger pull is actually pretty nice now. Ignition has been 100% with everything from UMC to M193 to 5.56 TAP. JP advertises this spring set as giving 100% ignition with all ammo.

Griswold
07-09-09, 17:02
Looks like a POS to me! Should I send you my FFL so you can get rid of that atrocity? :confused:
Are you kidding me, most people would love to have a rifle like that! If it functions and it's reliable keep it in the quiver. Good job

LOKNLOD
07-09-09, 17:02
I don't think it needs anything swapped or fixed. Shoot it lots, and fix the stuff that breaks or doesn't meet expectations.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-09-09, 17:07
Looks like a POS to me! Should I send you my FFL so you can get rid of that atrocity? :confused:
Are you kidding me, most people would love to have a rifle like that! If it functions and it's reliable keep it in the quiver. Good job

thanks griswold, and welcome to the forums!

tylerw02
07-09-09, 17:08
Buying a factory LMT, Colt, BCM, etc doesn't automatically give you a better gun. If you build using quality parts, a factory gun has nothing over what you can put together yourself----just because Joe at LMT puts it together for $12 an hour in a factory doesn't make it better. Looks like you used quality stuff, so selling it wouldn't yield anything for you. If you want another gun, start saving for gun two and shoot the shit out of what you have.

connor9000
07-09-09, 17:30
I second all of the previous replies. Nice rifle man. Just work on gun #2.

SwatDawg15
07-09-09, 18:32
I would keep it for sure.

PRGGodfather
07-09-09, 18:37
Sounds like decent components. The only thing I would do is get rid of the EOTech. Otherwise, you have a keeper! Well done!

faawrenchbndr
07-09-09, 18:54
I'd have to keep it,......LOVE the camo job!

Abraxas
07-09-09, 18:56
Keep it!!!! It has decent parts, and is already yours. If you want another, then great go get it but keep that one.

Parabellum9x19mm
07-09-09, 18:58
what LPK did you use when building the lower? CMMG as well?

who made the barrel?

if it were my rifle, the only change i would make would be to ditch the YHM riser and get a LaRue Tactical EOTech mount.

on your next rifle get an Aimpoint, but there's no need get rid of a perfectly good EO if its working out for you.

nice weapon. i'd keep it for sure.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-09-09, 19:03
what LPK did you use when building the lower? CMMG as well?

who made the barrel?

if it were my rifle, the only change i would make would be to ditch the YHM riser and get a LaRue Tactical EOTech mount.

on your next rifle get an Aimpoint, but there's no need get rid of a perfectly good EO if its working out for you.

nice weapon. i'd keep it for sure.

CMMG LPK.

YHM RISER MOUNT!!!:eek: thats an American Defense riser mount bro lol

Iraqgunz
07-09-09, 19:05
Well you have a good quality BCG which is probably one of the more critical components. Since everything seems to be working for you I say run it. If you start having issues take a look at it then.

RojasTKD
07-09-09, 19:07
Sounds like a good build to me. Looks like a keeper to me.

Enjoy it, and work towards your next one.

Parabellum9x19mm
07-09-09, 19:30
YHM RISER MOUNT!!!:eek: thats an American Defense riser mount bro lol

sorry about that, meng. hard to tell with the paint job.

my bad. i guess i could have read that it was ADM in your description, but i'm too cool to read.

ok, in that case, i wouldn't change anything on your rifle. keep it as it :D

Fire_Medic
07-09-09, 19:31
I see nothing wrong with that build save for a different optic if you want one and call it a day.

And NICE CAMO JOB!!!! :D

Mr.Goodtimes
07-09-09, 19:40
I see nothing wrong with that build save for a different optic if you want one and call it a day.

And NICE CAMO JOB!!!! :D

thanks fire medic! it gets quite a bit of attention at the range haha:D

Fire_Medic
07-09-09, 19:48
thanks fire medic! it gets quite a bit of attention at the range haha:D

I'm trying to gather the cojones to do that to mine, if I do I'm gonna be asking you for guidance. :D

Mr.Goodtimes
07-09-09, 20:11
I'm trying to gather the cojones to do that to mine, if I do I'm gonna be asking you for guidance. :D

shoot me a PM bro if you need some help, ill be glad to offer you some tips and give ya any help you need. to be honest, it took some balls to initially krylon rape my rifle, but afterwords youll be like, "damn that felt good! and now my rifle looks even more bad ass!"

Fire_Medic
07-09-09, 20:31
shoot me a PM bro if you need some help, ill be glad to offer you some tips and give ya any help you need. to be honest, it took some balls to initially krylon rape my rifle, but afterwords youll be like, "damn that felt good! and now my rifle looks even more bad ass!"

Sweet! You'll be hearing from me once it's up and running in the final stages. :D

07-09-09, 21:47
Looks nice and if you like it, keep it. Simply sounds like you have BRD. Means you need a 6920 to add to the ever growing collection!:D

Blob
07-09-09, 21:49
Nice rifle and awesome paint job! As long as it runs well don't get rid of it!

Mr.Goodtimes
07-10-09, 03:57
thanks dudes!

6933, i no doubt have a really, really, really nasty case of BRD. It's like i want one in every flavor, and i know once ive got one in every flavor, that wont be enough either, then ill need two in every flavor :D

redyak3
07-10-09, 13:22
Nice....
Looks like a keeper to me, cant have enough guns IMHO...:)

woodandsteel
07-10-09, 14:30
Anyone would be proud to own a rifle like that. And, I think you would regret letting that one go.

I say keep it. Several years from now you may be able to pass it along to one of your kids. It will be one of their prized posessions. Then, they will be able to teach their kid how to shoot on "Gramps" gun.

Mr.Goodtimes
07-10-09, 16:22
i appreciate all the responses guys. at first i was kinda dissapointed my rifle wasnt a colt or an LMT, but, after reading these responses i feel like ive really got a top notch rifle, and im thinking that mabey for my next build, i may build another rifle completely from scratch!

im thinking about using a Mega Machine upper and lower for the basis of the build and taking it from there. It will be a 16in middy of some sort. not sure on the barrel yet, but will most likely be a sabre barrel.

Ulysses74
07-10-09, 21:07
Keep it and don't listen to the Aimpoint freaks!
Cool paint job too!

Ttwwaack
07-11-09, 02:13
If you keep it, they multiply when you put them in the safe. Nice rifle. So what if it isn't a big name receiver. Sound like you've got some good parts in it and it's GTG so far. Run it like you stole it and don't worry about it.

I've got 6, 2 Colts, 2 Essex (one of which is all Colt but the lower and upper rcvrs), a POF and an old stop sign or PWA. They all shoot good. All are reliable except one which is a work in progress. I could send it back to the factory but don't feel like loosing it for 3-6 months. I haven't given up on it yet but just might throw in the towel on it next spring.

As far as the optics, look at a used M2 or M3 in a Larue mount. It's cheaper than the M4 and still reliable.

Nice experiment on the camo. Looks like you took the curve out of the learning process. Getting ready to try that myself with some cerra coat this winter.

pistolman1974
07-11-09, 11:26
Keep it. Its a fine rifle

tylerw02
07-13-09, 12:05
i appreciate all the responses guys. at first i was kinda dissapointed my rifle wasnt a colt or an LMT, but, after reading these responses i feel like ive really got a top notch rifle, and im thinking that mabey for my next build, i may build another rifle completely from scratch!

Brand name on the lower isn't really all that important. A good build with high-quality parts is just as good as one from the big names. Shoot the shit out of it and start on gun two.

Caeser25
07-13-09, 17:10
depending upon the parts that made your mutt rifle vs what you are considering will be the ultimate factor. I just sold my franken gun, looking locally for a Colt 6520 with no luck :( I did replace Grants lpk with a Stag before I sold it for a future build.