PDA

View Full Version : M4carbine.net / Vickers Tactical Basic Carbine Class (June 1-3, 2007) - Ohio

VA_Dinger
01-23-07, 13:52
M4carbine.net / Vickers Tactical Basic Level Carbine Class (June 1-3, 2007)

Carbine Basic
An entry-level course for carbine shooters. This class is geared for those who have not had any formal instruction. Topics covered include safety, stance, zeroing for iron sights and optics, sight alignment and trigger control. Familiarization with their carbine includes fieldstripping and maintenance. Other subject matter that is covered includes reloads, presentation, shooting positions, and introduction to different skill drills including dry fire and bulls eye shooting.

Instructor: Larry Vickers

Cost: $700 per student.

Class Date: June 1-3, 2007

Class size: Ten minimum, sixteen maximum

Accommodations: Please contact Grant Timberlake of G&R Tactical for help in locating lodging.

www.gandrtactical.com

Class requirements:
- Eye and ear protection (electronic hearing protection is preferred)
- Serviceable duty grade carbine - typical calibers include 9mm, 45 ACP, 30 cal, 5.56 mm, 7.62 x 39mm, ETC.
- Serviceable handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber (For transition training)
- Serviceable sling- suitable for a variety of shooting positions - tactical type preferred
- Minimum 1 carbine magazine pouch - or method to carry spare magazine(s)
- Minimum of 3 carbine serviceable magazines (5 is better)
- Serviceable holster
- Minimum 1 handgun magazine pouch - Ability to carry a spare mag on body.
- Minimum of 3 serviceable pistol magazines
– Ammo: 1200 carbine / 200 handgun - Service type (No reloads)
- Zeroed Weapons : 50 yard carbine preferred, but others are acceptable if you have a good reason why and understand it. Know your handguns zero at various ranges.
- Suitable range wear depending on the season
- Good attitude

***Lunch will be provided during each training day***

*** Various M4carbine.net sponsors will be providing a large number free prizes and gifts that will be awarded throughout the class. ***

Please contact me if you are interested in attending.

Class roster:
(1.) treehopr
(2.) Nathan_Bell
(3.) Adam
(4.) Shane
(5.) Joe B
(6.) Barry F
(7.) Bob K
(8.) Adam

Dport
01-23-07, 14:04
Accommodations: Please contact Grant Timberlake of G&R Tactical for help in locating lodging.

Does this mean we can crash at Grant's house?:D

LOKNLOD
01-23-07, 14:11
Man I wish we could get something like this setup a bit closer...sounds like the perfect class for me.

Do you offer scholarships?? :p

Jay Cunningham
01-23-07, 15:53
Yikes, I'd be all over this if I didn't already have a 5 day carbine course of instruction lined up June 9-13.

I hope to make a LAV pistol/basic carbine course in '08!

Enjoy the class, guys!

Nathan_Bell
01-23-07, 20:05

In the shop with the dogs :D

C4IGrant
01-23-07, 21:14

Uh no. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
01-23-07, 21:16
Lunch is also included in the cost of the class! I am currently working on a deal with the local Hilton for discounted rates.

C4

Dport
01-23-07, 21:52
Uh no. ;)

C4
In that case, I'm out.:p

Adam
01-26-07, 20:11
Hi, Grant told me about this class and I decided to go. This being my first formal training class I have a few questions about gear. Would a pistol belt with a leg drop and provisions for two AR mags and two pistol mags be sufficient or should I upgrade to some type of vest/chest rig?

C4IGrant
01-27-07, 07:55
Hi, Grant told me about this class and I decided to go. This being my first formal training class I have a few questions about gear. Would a pistol belt with a leg drop and provisions for two AR mags and two pistol mags be sufficient or should I upgrade to some type of vest/chest rig?

3 mags for the AR (2 on you and 1 in the gun) should be just fine. If you can though, I would stay away from anything drop leg unless your wearing body armor.

C4

VA_Dinger
01-27-07, 07:56
I agree with Grant, that set-up sounds fine.

VA_Dinger
01-31-07, 15:23
Wow, this is shaping up to be a great class.

4sng Respawnz
02-01-07, 11:30
Now what would really make this awesome is.....if it was closer to s.w. Virginia. Yall feel free to let me know if this kind of thing happens again down around my way.

VA_Dinger
02-01-07, 13:20
Now what would really make this awesome is.....if it was closer to s.w. Virginia. Yall feel free to let me know if this kind of thing happens again down around my way.

Welcome to M4carbine.

Just watch the training & tactics section. We have classes posted all the time.

rhino
02-02-07, 00:12
VA_D ... how physically demanding is this particular class? Are we talking something old, fat guys can do, or is it more akin to a Jeff Gonzales workout where even really fit guys get tired?

VA_Dinger
02-02-07, 08:04
VA_D ... how physically demanding is this particular class? Are we talking something old, fat guys can do, or is it more akin to a Jeff Gonzales workout where even really fit guys get tired?

No running, no climbing, no lifting heavy weights.

You will be on your feet and moving for the better part of eight or more hours though, so that does get tiring. The funny part is you will be learning so much and having such a great time that you won’t even notice it. That is until you get back to the hotel. :D

Larry takes plenty of breaks for reloading mags, class discussion, and hydration. I’d be willing to bet you will do fine.

rhino
02-02-07, 11:52
Thanks for the response!

I was actually asking for future reference as well as for knowing a bit for when people ask me for recommendations. I have acquaintances who are always asking about which classes/instructors they should pursue. The level of physical activity is always an issue for me personally, and I know it also is for some of the people who ask for my advice.

Given that there are so many excellent opportunties, sometimes those overlooked elements sometimes make a difference in terms of how much any individual will benefit from a given instructor or specific class.

Thanks again!

macman37
02-06-07, 13:27
Does this class come around every year?

I have no training budget for 07 but 08 is another story...

C4IGrant
02-06-07, 13:57
Does this class come around every year?

I have no training budget for 07 but 08 is another story...

Possibly.

C4

Leonidas
04-04-07, 01:05
For those of you attending this class, what are you finding in the way of ammo?

tiger seven
04-04-07, 09:17
Wow! This is 100% absolutely what I have been looking for: an entry-level carbine course within a reasonable driving distance and at a reasonable price - and with a highly respected instructor to boot!

Unfortunately, June is a no-go for me. I would need a bit more time to get everything in order. Hopefully, this class will be a big success and there will be a similar one in 2008.

Someone who's lucky enough to go please post an AAR and let us know how much fun it was!

Derek

VA_Dinger
04-07-07, 16:42
For those of you attending this class, what are you finding in the way of ammo?

I'm sure G&R Tactical can help you find ammo. He is also attending the class.

VA_Dinger
05-11-07, 10:09
FYI - A link to this class will be going up on the Vickers Tactical website very soon. If your interested in attending I suggest you contact either C4iGrant or myself. Once it goes up on the website classes have a way of filling rather quickly.

ffhounddog
05-26-07, 07:55
So lets see can I run wolf in the course so I can afford the gas to get up there? :D

Bass Pro has .223 for 5.99 a box if you can find it before the ammo whores get there. Wal-Mart is still at 6.44 and Federal AE is 7.20 per 20 in louisiana. ammoman has Swiss 5.56 for 425 per 1000
:(

If I had not canceld my Hornady order for .223 then I would go to Ohio but with myself trying to find a job right now $700 is a good deal of cash to spend plus room plus gas plus ammo. Wife only lets me spend $300 a month on ammo. I agreed to that in Jan07 when I could still get a case of 1000 .223 and 500 rounds of 9mm for 300 bucks.

VA_Dinger
05-27-07, 09:55
So lets see can I run wolf in the course so I can afford the gas to get up there? :D

:D

As long as your gun runs reliably nobody cares what ammo you shoot.