PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Daniel Defense M4?

diving dave
07-09-09, 22:08
My PD has approved of officers purchasing their own carbines for patrol work, and I'm looking hard at the Daniel Defense M4. Anybody here own one? Thoughts on it vs. a Colt?It looks pretty close to what I'd like right out of the box.

d90king
07-09-09, 22:09
The search button is your friend. Use it!

LOKNLOD
07-09-09, 22:26
The search button is your friend. Use it!

True, but this is a case where the search is not very cooperative. "Daniel Defense" digs up an awful lot of other hits, and DD and M4 are both too short (not to mention, M4 is kind of like searching for "it" in terms of frequency) so getting good info might elude all but the most suave of searchers ;)

To the OP, I think you'll find that the DDM4 is very serviceable, well built, and one of the best values out of the box.

diving dave
07-09-09, 22:31
+1, have looked at a lot of threads, here and else where..looking for some comments from actual owners who've put a fair amount of rounds down the pipe.

Dunderway
07-10-09, 01:54
They seem to be about the best deal going. For a more basic gun, you could also take a look at the Daniel Defense XV. On paper it seems to offer everything that Colt does and more, for less $$.

shadco
07-10-09, 07:01

DDM4*

https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=1205246

John_Wayne777
07-10-09, 07:19
My PD has approved of officers purchasing their own carbines for patrol work, and I'm looking hard at the Daniel Defense M4. Anybody here own one? Thoughts on it vs. a Colt?It looks pretty close to what I'd like right out of the box.

The short version is this:

The Daniel Defense M4 rifle is built with quality materials to exacting tolerances and are then inspected with the same quality control procedures for critical components used to produce the real M4. Daniel Defense decided to do a carbine right, so they went out and hired an honest to God expert on the platform to help them build a rifle that would compete favorably with Colt's 6920.

While the DDM4's haven't been on the market long, the AR is a mature platform and all indications are that Daniel Defense is building them the right way.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one as a patrol rifle.

As far as a DDM4 vs. a Colt 6920...if the Daniel Defense M4 had been on the market when I bought my last 6920, I wouldn't have bought the Colt.

My 2 cents. No refunds.

EDIT -- the new XV is also intriguing...but frankly I'd rather have the rail system. Still, it's not an absolute necessity so if you're looking to save a few bucks the XV is worth a hard look.

seb5
07-10-09, 07:39
I have bought 2 and wish the department I work for would let me carry my own. I like the original version and also bought a mid length from ADCO. I have owned Colts over the years but can't get myself to pay the dollars for something that can be cheaper and with added features and a high level of quality. I know the Colt is a fine base rifle but I won't go there. For the cost to dress it out you could buy a Defensive Edge Grai, Noveske, or Larue.