PDA

View Full Version : NFA Engraving

Voodoochild
01-23-07, 20:20
Quick question for all you NFA freaks out there I have a SD lower inbound and want to SBR it but if it has the gator grip it will be pretty much impossible to engrave the front of the lower. So where else is acceptable to ATF standards to engrave? I will be going the trust route if I can do it right without going crazy.

SuicideHz
01-23-07, 20:56
You can engrave it anywhere that is clearly visible without disassembling or partially disassembling the rifle (lower.)

Inside the trigger is still OK per ATF because you can see it by turning the rifle over. But, you will have the same problem as me- a long name with your city and state. It's either

J. S. R****** Revocable Living Trust

Joseph S. R******* RL Trust

or something similar.

Not sure how my SBR will read.

If your name is Jon Q. King, then "Jonh Q. King RLT" would fit easily...

Military Moron has some newer pictures on his site showing the side of what must be an SBR from what I can read- it's on the right side in the same spot the maker's city and state would be on the left side of most receivers. He even has it filled in white and it's not bad looking.

Robb Jensen
01-23-07, 20:57
Orion will engrave on the underside of the lower on each side of the trigger for roughly $65

Voodoochild
01-23-07, 21:02
Mine would be Last name NFA Trust plus City, State. Robb that lower should be in sometime this week. I am waiting on my DD rail and FN BCG from grant and I will bring the upper stuff for you to assemble my 16" middy.

Robb Jensen
01-23-07, 21:08
Mine would be Last name NFA Trust plus City, State. Robb that lower should be in sometime this week. I am waiting on my DD rail and FN BCG from Grant and I will bring the upper stuff for you to assemble my 16" middy.

Cool!, I'm off on Saturday but if I get the stuff by Friday I'll do it Friday night.

SuicideHz
01-23-07, 21:10
I emailed Orion Saturday. No word yet...

jmkrick
01-27-07, 22:57
What abbreviations are allowed for engraving?
Say your name is "John L Smith"
Could you use?
1. J L S
2. J L Smith

Spooky130
01-28-07, 13:48
What abbreviations are allowed for engraving?
Say your name is "John L Smith"
Could you use?
1. J L S
2. J L Smith

I can't wait to see the answer on this one plus this twist...
1) JL Smith Revocable Living Trust
2) JL Smith RL Trust

I would much prefer the last one... I would hate to write out the whole thing.

Spooky

Robb Jensen
01-28-07, 13:55
I can't wait to see the answer on this one plus this twist...
1) JL Smith Revocable Living Trust
2) JL Smith RL Trust

I would much prefer the last one... I would hate to write out the whole thing.

Spooky

I've seen people use JL Smith RLT, City State

It works.

SuicideHz
01-28-07, 15:52
Well that's good to hear. Now only if your friends at Orion Arms would friggin' get back to me on sending my GD lower in...

Robb Jensen
01-28-07, 16:57
Well that's good to hear. Now only if your friends at Orion Arms would friggin' get back to me on sending my GD lower in...

I recently sent our Benelli M1014 receiver and 2 AR lowers to Orion for engraving and had them back in 2 weeks. Maybe they're busy engraving. :D

Voodoochild
01-28-07, 17:28
Well I am going with last name NFA Trust. I will give them a call when I am ready to pull the trigger on the SBR part.

SuicideHz
01-28-07, 21:53
Voodoo- it matters if those words in whole or in part are in your trust's actual name.

I will be doing the JS R****** RLT and then my city and state on second line.

I heard back from Orion immediately after a second email. Ryan was very apologetic. It's going to be about HALF the cost I thought it was going to be.

jmkrick
01-29-07, 16:41
I've seen people use JL Smith RLT, City State

It works.
This won't be for a trust. It will be for an individual.

1. J L Smith
My City, My State (OK or not?) I'D probably prefer this one over the rest.

2. J L S
My City, My State (Ok or not? Not enough information?)

3. John L Smith
My City, My State (Any better than the others?

SuicideHz
01-29-07, 18:14
If your name is Smith, I'd say no to the first two initials and last name. If it's an uncommon name, I'd say just the first two initials and complete last name would suffice.