PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Ultrasonic cleaner?

RojasTKD
07-10-09, 17:07
I have a small Ultrasonic cleaner I picked up some time back. I have yet to use it on my guns or my BCGs, but would like to.

Thought about "Ed's Red" but rather something simpler so I don't have to mix a number of different chemicals.

What do you guys use as a cleaning (or cleaning & lubricating) solution?

chadbag
07-10-09, 17:16
I have a small Ultrasonic cleaner I picked up some time back. I have yet to use it on my guns or my BCGs, but would like to.

Thought about "Ed's Red" but rather something simpler so I don't have to mix a number of different chemicals.

Strictly for cleaning I know of a lot of guys who use M-Pro 7 gun cleaner in the ultrasonic cleaners. Non toxic and no smell and you can strain it and reuse it a ton of times. However it is a very good degreaser so you need to make sure you thoroughly lubricate everything afterwards.

M-Pro 7 folks used to make a special version for ultrasonic cleaners but decided the standard worked just as well or better (the ultrasonic was actually a weaker version)

Chad

5pins
07-10-09, 17:31
I just use Simple Green.

Iraqgunz
07-10-09, 17:32
I use M-Pro7 here as well. We don't have an ultrasonic tank just a ghetto ass wash tub. It works for me though. I like the M-Pro7 because it isn't smelly and friendly to my delicate hands. :D

Cagemonkey
07-10-09, 17:59
I heard you have to be careful using ultrasonic cleaning machines because they can loosen up the pins in your gun. Especially something with an allow frame/receiver and steel pins.

VA_Dinger
07-10-09, 18:03
I also use Simple Green. The gun comes out absolutely spot-less after about twenty minutes. Sadly the one I have acces to only fits a handgun.

Iraqgunz
07-10-09, 18:24
We use Simple Green as well when stuff is really gunked up. It really came in handy in Bahrain cleaning the .50 cals.

I also use Simple Green. The gun comes out absolutely spot-less after about twenty minutes. Sadly the one I have acces to only fits a handgun.

ra2bach
07-10-09, 19:55
I thought Simple Green etched aluminum?

RojasTKD
07-10-09, 20:58
I thought Simple Green etched aluminum?

Well, it my understanding that aluminum in an ultrasonic cleaner is a no no... So I don't plan on using an ultrasonic or Simple green on anything aluminum.

I saw a post on another forum where some one did a test and the ultrasonic cleaner started wearing away at a piece of aluminum after prolonged use.

Whether it will affect a lower receiver I don't know and don't want to find out using one of mine.

5pins
07-10-09, 23:08
Don’t use Simple Green on aluminum. I tried it once and when I pulled the part out it had green fuzz allover it.

My ultrasonic cleaner is so small I can’t fit a whole BGC in it, just the dirty end.

RojasTKD
07-10-09, 23:32
Don’t use Simple Green on aluminum. I tried it once and when I pulled the part out it had green fuzz allover it.

My ultrasonic cleaner is so small I can’t fit a whole BGC in it, just the dirty end.

Wow, that is small!

I mine off e-bay, it not marked the same but look exactly like this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95563

Not exactly professional grade, but several have reported they get the job done.

chadbag
07-11-09, 00:32
I am not sure how an ultrasonic could be bad for aluminum. We never had any issues when using my friends. We were NOT using Simple Green but I would think that the issues would be with whatever cleaning medium you put in the Ultrasonic.

A traditional cleaner like M-Pro 7 or other aluminum safe cleaner is not going to become bad for it by virtue of being in the Ultrasonic.

Chad

5pins
07-11-09, 00:44
Ultrasonic cleaners aren’t bad for aluminum, but Simple Green is.

NinjaMedic
07-11-09, 03:49
I am running the same one as rojas. No issues so far.

Abraxas
07-11-09, 06:13
What is it that simplegreen does exactly?

Eric
07-11-09, 10:21

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum&search=Search

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

ra2bach
07-11-09, 10:32

simple green is a "citrus" degreaser. before it became a retail product, it was mostly sold industrially to automotive, machine, etc. shops.

I used to use it as a pre-soak for my motorcycles - I would hose the bike down and then spray Simple Green on the engine and wheels, then wash the bike like normal. the Simple Green would cut the grease and road tar and it would come off with just a soapy sponge. excellent.

till one day I left it on too long and I had streaks in the finish of my aluminum wheels. now, most people I know who use it for motorcycle cleaning, are very careful where and how long they apply it.

C4IGrant
07-11-09, 10:45
I use a Crest ultrasonic cleaner. This is one of the best on the market and does a fantastic job!

It takes carbon of cans, BCG in 5 minutes or less.

For cleaning, I use this: http://www.sonicsonline.com/cc235.html

For lube after cleaning, I use this http://www.sonicsonline.com/cc400l.html

It is VERY important to lube the metal after cleaning as it WILL RUST!

C4

HES
07-11-09, 10:46
I use one. I just throw a couple of dabs of dish washing soap in there, run for about 8 minutes and my pistols come out spotless. As for Aluminum, thee was this (unscientific) test done. Click (http://floridashootersnetwork.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32376&hilit=ultrasonic) here to see

RojasTKD
07-11-09, 13:25
I use one. I just throw a couple of dabs of dish washing soap in there, run for about 8 minutes and my pistols come out spotless. As for Aluminum, thee was this (unscientific) test done. Click (http://floridashootersnetwork.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32376&hilit=ultrasonic) here to see

Yep that's the one I saw. It may not be an issue with forged aluminum especially if it finished. But I can't fit a lower in my unit anyway.

Grant, I looked at those Crest units. Way out of my budget at the moment, but one day if I'm lucky.

tom2slow
07-17-09, 17:15

way back when, when dirt was new etc. I watched a pogue try to turn in (to a highly unamused armorer) an M16A1 that he had soaked in an untrasonic cleaner, sadly what he didn't comprehend was that it would remove part of the parkerization, turned his upper a wonderful shade of grey. My understanding was that he had left it in the machine for an entire 1/2 hour... Corporal no less, you'd think.....sigh.

YMMV along w/ the LOL value

Tom

yallknowho
07-17-09, 17:34
if you wanted to clean a permanently attached muzzle device with one of these, how would you do it? I imagine you would just put the brake in a top loading machine with the rifle propped up, is this about right?