PDA

View Full Version : Who wants middy MOE HGs?

Bread is People
07-10-09, 17:29
Just thought that with all of the hype and newfound popularity of the mid-length uppers/rifles lately, maybe there would be a chance that Magpul would make a middy version of the MOE handguards. Does this sound like it would something you might consider adding to a midlength setup?

LOKNLOD
07-10-09, 17:42
Of course, but...

I don't think it's lack of interest driving Magpul's lack of middy MOEs, just lack of capacity. I'm sure they're well aware that we'd like them, but they're also aware we want Pmags and mag accessories, CTRs, MOE grips, stocks, and carbine handguards, MS2s, ACSs, UBRs, ASAPs, and all the other good stuff they make, and they can only make a finite amount of stuff in any given time...

RancidSumo
07-10-09, 19:24
I would like them to start making them after they make enough carbine length handguards that I can get one (black).
Speaking of which, does anyone know of a place with these in stock?

TOMTOM
07-10-09, 19:47
I would like them to start making them after they make enough carbine length handguards that I can get one (black).

www.norcalbrg.com

hes a dealer out here in CA and has very good customer service. I just bought a MOE stock and mags from him.

Dunderway
07-10-09, 20:19
www.norcalbrg.com

hes a dealer out here in CA and has very good customer service. I just bought a MOE stock and mags from him.

I've ordered from him too. Really good customer service.

Parabellum9x19mm
07-10-09, 20:31
i asked Nick_B about this a while back and he said he couldn't talk about any plans Magpul may or may not have.

there are just so few options for midlength handguards. its hard enough to even find plain jane black tapered guards. i've been trying to lay hands on the thick M4 style midlength guards as well, but they're always sold out.

i'd be all over some middie MOEs. i really hope Magpul winds up making some.

RancidSumo
07-10-09, 20:33
Magpul MOE handguard Black
0 units in stock :(

Heavy Metal
07-10-09, 20:40
i asked Nick_B about this a while back and he said he couldn't talk about any plans Magpul may or may not have.

there are just so few options for midlength handguards. its hard enough to even find plain jane black tapered guards. i've been trying to lay hands on the thick M4 style midlength guards as well, but they're always sold out.

i'd be all over some middie MOEs. i really hope Magpul winds up making some.

Try Armalite.

Parabellum9x19mm
07-10-09, 20:43
thank you, HM i'll try them

does Armalite make their own guards or do they use CavArms furniture?

RojasTKD
07-10-09, 20:44
Maybe it time the expand their production capabilities...

I want a MOE middy and a black MOE carbine (will try above source).

Heavy Metal
07-10-09, 20:50
thank you, HM i'll try them

does Armalite make their own guards or do they use CavArms furniture?

CavArms

Parabellum9x19mm
07-10-09, 20:58
to whomever just entered the first "no" vote (and anyone else who might also enter 'no' after you)...i'm curious, why would you not like to see MOE midlength handguards?

RojasTKD
07-10-09, 21:44
to whomever just entered the first "no" vote (and anyone else who might also enter 'no' after you)...i'm curious, why would you not like to see MOE midlength handguards?

They must not have a mid-length and want Magpul to get out more of their other stuff. ;)

JeffMN
07-10-09, 22:15
They must not have a mid-length and want Magpul to get out more of their other stuff. ;)

the question was not 'should magpul create midlength MOE handguards?' who would say no to that?

it was
Would you want a set of magpul MOE HGs on a middy upper?

there are obviously other options (not enough in my opinion,) but they do exist.

Magsz
07-10-09, 22:27
I dig the profile of the MOE handguard, i would buy a bunch of them for my middies.

The profile is what does it for me, the ability to mount a light or anything else is merely an added benefit.

RojasTKD
07-10-09, 23:28
I dig the profile of the MOE handguard, i would buy a bunch of them for my middies.

The profile is what does it for me, the ability to mount a light or anything else is merely an added benefit.

I agree, they look and feel great! I can mount light and stuff on regular HG, it just a little easier on the MOE.

eng208
07-10-09, 23:30
I want one to replace the rail on my LW build. I could mount my G2 and my polymer grip, and shave a good bit of forward weight.

Blob
07-11-09, 00:09
Eh, I'm not so fond of them. Voted no.

dave5339
07-11-09, 07:42
I'd buy a pair of them.

Semper Fi

Magsz
07-11-09, 09:30
Eh, I'm not so fond of them. Voted no.

Any particular reason why?

SeriousStudent
07-11-09, 11:01
I would buy a pair as well.

Bread is People
07-11-09, 15:05
Would you want a set of magpul MOE HGs on a middy upper?

This is the main point. Would you actually use them on a rifle instead of a rail or not? I should have made it more clear in the OP.

Anyways, maybe if enough people ask for them, magpul might speed up the process of getting these onto the market, but then again, I'm OK with waiting for a quality made peice of gear rather than something slammed together for quick sales, but magpul is not one of those companies and I'm not worried.

Parabellum9x19mm
07-11-09, 16:08
This is the main point. Would you actually use them on a rifle instead of a rail or not? I should have made it more clear in the OP.

i would run MOE handguards instead of a rail on at least one of my middies with a fixed FSB. if i totally fell in love with the set up i might run two of them that way.

i want at least one of my middies to have plastic handguards, i just really dislike the guards i have now. the tapered handguards don't look right and they don't feel right. they also have single heat shields.

hopefully i'll be able to scare up some of the M4 style middie guards and i'll wind up liking those better and they'll be able to tide me over until the middie MOEs are (hopefully) released.

Dunderway
07-11-09, 18:53

Palmetto has them in stock.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/322.php

tylerw02
07-13-09, 12:02
I also voted "no".

I do not care for the MOE hand guards at all.

Magsz
07-13-09, 18:05
i would run MOE handguards instead of a rail on at least one of my middies with a fixed FSB. if i totally fell in love with the set up i might run two of them that way.

i want at least one of my middies to have plastic handguards, i just really dislike the guards i have now. the tapered handguards don't look right and they don't feel right. they also have single heat shields.

hopefully i'll be able to scare up some of the M4 style middie guards and i'll wind up liking those better and they'll be able to tide me over until the middie MOEs are (hopefully) released.

All of my tapered midlength plastic handguards have two heatshields.

Then again, i only use noveske guards or RRA which have two heatshields.

Col_Crocs
07-13-09, 18:08
Im sure there are those who would want one. I can see myself wanting one for a 16" middy KISS carbine.
On a side note, how about a Magpul VFG as well??

Parabellum9x19mm
07-13-09, 21:09
All of my tapered midlength plastic handguards have two heatshields.

Then again, i only use noveske guards or RRA which have two heatshields.

thanks for the info. that is good to know

i *think* i read on this site that all midlength handguards, Noveske included are of the single heat shield variety. but then again i could have read it elsewhere...or i could have just made it up :confused:

my midlength handguards are also Noveske....so i guess i'm good to go on that front. i probably would have known whether or not they were double shielded if i bothered to remove them....but i didn't have a reason to take them off, so i dnever did(also, i'm a lazy bastard)

i still don't like the tapered guards, as far as the feel and looks are concerned, but its good to know that as far as function, i'm not missing out on anything compared to M4 guards.

CALSHOOTER
07-14-09, 14:39
Yes, I would use a middy MOE handguard, but with BUIS and an eotech or aimpoint series of optics. Also other magpul stuff as well.

Bread is People
07-14-09, 19:05
I think that until I see some better HG options for a midlength upper, I'll hold off on getting into that game. If magpul made some, I'd be first in line to try out a set.

On a side note, how about a Magpul VFG as well??

I second the motion!

kmrtnsn
07-14-09, 21:06
Instead of Mid length MOE handguards I'd like to see MAGPUL sell a free float hand guard system, a cross between the Vltor CASV and the A.R.M.S. S.I.R. system, that is made of polymer like the reconfigurable forend of the Masada/ACR. Travis, are you listening?

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-14-09, 21:08
I guess the whole idea behind the MOE line, and specifically the handguards, is that they can go on basic builds and be retrofitted. The heat would be if they came out with rifle and midlength ones that somehow lock onto low profile gas blocks and provide the full rail with out the front sight. Even though it wouldn't free float it, there are full rail systems out there that are non free float and post-adable, but they are as expensive as a free float. I guess there are so many low profile gas blocks it would be hard to standardize and make it work.

Maybe an idea, but not a very good one.

I would think if refit is the real market for the MOEs, rifle would be next so that people can update all the old rifles that were given to police departments and such.