PDA

View Full Version : Troy TRX Extreme Rails

C4IGrant
07-11-09, 11:43
We got some of the new Troy TRX rails in awhile ago, but never got time to mess around with them (until now). I kind of looked at them as a nice, simple design that is SUPER easy to install and they look like the VTAC rail (but much easier to install). The slimness of the rail is fantastic and has nice texture to it.

Fast forward to today. We were messing around with some BCM 9mm barrels and I decided to do one with a 9" TRX. That looked really nice, but then we noticed that a 9mm Suppressor would fit INSIDE the rail. Well GAME ONE!

So we got out a 5" Noveske 9mm barrel we had sitting around and installed it with the TRX 9" and an AAC Evolution. The can fits PERFECTLY inside the rail and looks fantastic IMHO.

Onto the pics....

C4

Noveske 5" 9mm build
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/9_Extreme_9mmbuild.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/9_Extreme_9mmbuild1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/9_Extreme_9mmbuild2.jpg

BCM 10" 9mm build
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/BCM/9mm_Troy_Buid.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/BCM/9mm_Troy_build.jpg

Jay Cunningham
07-11-09, 11:45
That is cool. - too bad 9mm costs so much right now... :(

C4IGrant
07-11-09, 11:50
That is cool. - too bad 9mm costs so much right now... :(

It is coming back down and we will have about 20,000rds worth of 9mm sitting on our door by the end of the month. ;)

C4

RancidSumo
07-11-09, 11:53
Damn, I am not even a fan of 9mm and I really want one of those! I can't wait till I can buy NFA items.

Puffy93
07-11-09, 11:53
That thing is sweet!

RancidSumo
07-11-09, 12:00
I don't see that rail on your site, do you have them for sale yet?

theJanitor
07-11-09, 12:04
Grant, how does extra picatinny sections bolt to the rail? and what's the cost of the system?

C4IGrant
07-11-09, 12:06
I don't see that rail on your site, do you have them for sale yet?

I have them, but they are all sitting on builds at the moment.

C4

C4IGrant
07-11-09, 12:07
Grant, how does extra picatinny sections bolt to the rail? and what's the cost of the system?

The rails attach thru the vent holes.

The 9" TRX has a MAP of $189.

C4

JSGlock34
07-11-09, 12:11
We got some of the new Troy TRX rails in awhile ago, but never got time to mess around with them (until now). I kind of looked at them as a nice, simple design that is SUPER easy to install and they look like the VTAC rail (but much easier to install). The slimness of the rail is fantastic and has nice texture to it.

You're not the only one who thinks these resemble the VTAC - even VTAC is selling their own 13" Troy TRX (http://www.vikingtactics.com/handguard.html).

I'm intrigued by these - I like Troy products and the Troy MRF-C was one of the first rails I owned. Quality was high but so was the weight. What do these new Troy rails weigh?

LOKNLOD
07-11-09, 12:19
The rails attach thru the vent holes.

Would the method of attachment of the rails interfere with the ability to fit a can inside the rail? In other words, are there nuts or anything holding the rails on that would prevent running the can inside? Just a thought.

C4IGrant
07-11-09, 12:28
You're not the only one who thinks these resemble the VTAC - even VTAC is selling their own 13" Troy TRX (http://www.vikingtactics.com/handguard.html).

I'm intrigued by these - I like Troy products and the Troy MRF-C was one of the first rails I owned. Quality was high but so was the weight. What do these new Troy rails weigh?

Weight is 7.1 without the barrel nut.

C4

C4IGrant
07-11-09, 12:30
Would the method of attachment of the rails interfere with the ability to fit a can inside the rail? In other words, are there nuts or anything holding the rails on that would prevent running the can inside? Just a thought.

No, I do not think so as they sit pretty flush inside the holes in the rail.

C4

C4IGrant
07-11-09, 12:35
Here is a pic of the TRX's barrel nut and end.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/TRX_barrelnut.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/TRX_end.jpg

GLOCKMASTER
07-11-09, 14:18
I had my hands on one Thursday that was configured slightly different than the one shown here. I have to say that I was very impressed with this rail design from Troy. Grant is right they have a very slim design and it is very easy to remove and reinstall if you have to perform maintenance.

I plan on picking up one very soon.

Thomas M-4
07-11-09, 14:33
Cool I wonder how well it would work on a 300 whisper build. can a PRI adj low profile gas block fit inside the rail.

JSGlock34
07-11-09, 15:32
Weight is 7.1 without the barrel nut.

C4

Damn, that is light. Even lighter than the DD lite. I'm sure the addition of rails would up the weight, but it is starting from a great position. Thanks Grant.

Iraqgunz
07-11-09, 17:23
Grant,

What other lengths are available and if you have a chance can you tell me how the AAC M4-2000 flash hider would sit in there? Thanks.

GLOCKMASTER
07-11-09, 18:08
Grant,

What other lengths are available and if you have a chance can you tell me how the AAC M4-2000 flash hider would sit in there? Thanks.

Iraqgunz, ,not Grant but they will come in 9", 11" and 13" lengths.

I'm also interested in knowing about the AAC flash hider.

NCPatrolAR
07-11-09, 18:18
Hmmmmm, I may have to look into getting one of these

CaptainDooley
07-11-09, 21:12
Pretty... Grant enjoys making sure my gun fund will always need income...

C4IGrant
07-12-09, 12:51
Pretty... Grant enjoys making sure my gun fund will always need income...

LOL, yes I do!

C4

STS
07-12-09, 17:24
Grant, when will you have either the 11" or 13" rail in stock?

C4IGrant
07-12-09, 17:59
Grant, when will you have either the 11" or 13" rail in stock?

Will know more on Monday.

C4

Longhorn
07-12-09, 19:43
Damn, I am not even a fan of 9mm and I really want one of those! I can't wait till I can buy NFA items.

I hear ya there...

Altho I'm just not much of a pistol cal AR fan...this may have changed that.

CTBuilder1
07-12-09, 19:55
Grant, Do you have any pics with rail sections attached?

vinesr6
07-12-09, 20:24
Would a Trident 9 fit inside? The diameter is around 1.375" i think.

C4IGrant
07-13-09, 09:28
Would a Trident 9 fit inside? The diameter is around 1.375" i think.

The AAC is 1.25 and there is a little room to spare, but not that much.

You could fit it if you bored out the rail a little bit though.

C4

C4IGrant
07-13-09, 09:28
Grant, Do you have any pics with rail sections attached?

Not currently.

C4

grunz
07-13-09, 11:14
Hi Grant,

Do you know how a 9 inch TRX Extreme compares in weight to a 9 inch DD Light?

The weight would be TRX, Barrel nut - but without the 3 add-on rail panels.

Thanks.

C4IGrant
07-13-09, 11:31
Hi Grant,

Do you know how a 9 inch TRX Extreme compares in weight to a 9 inch DD Light?

The weight would be TRX, Barrel nut - but without the 3 add-on rail panels.

Thanks.

It is lighter I think.

C4

grunz
07-13-09, 15:38
Thanks Grant

M&P45
07-14-09, 13:40
Pretty slick. I wish they were available in a 7". I would put one on my 9mm carbine. I like barrel mounted front sights so the other lengths are no good for me.

Jay Cunningham
08-05-09, 18:06
Word on the street is that Troy upgraded their barrel nut - any news about this?

C4IGrant
08-05-09, 18:09
Word on the street is that Troy upgraded their barrel nut - any news about this?

Yes, I would say that is accurate as I JUST got a batch of 9's, 11's and 13's with a new barrel nut. They are also INCLUDING a wrench with the rail!

C4

Jay Cunningham
08-05-09, 22:57
Grant,

PM sent.

JSGlock34
08-05-09, 22:59
Spotted this pic on WeaponEvolution (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388) - is Noveske using the new Troy in their builds now? This appears to be a Noveske marked TRX. It is certainly a lighter option than SWS...

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/144/noveske3gun.jpg

evileyeswatchin
08-06-09, 08:41
Yes, I would say that is accurate as I JUST got a batch of 9's, 11's and 13's with a new barrel nut. They are also INCLUDING a wrench with the rail!

C4

when you get a minute, can give me the weight of the 13"
thanks

jcamp
08-06-09, 10:20
Would the 9" fit on a mid length barrel with a fix front sight?

C4IGrant
08-06-09, 10:55
Would the 9" fit on a mid length barrel with a fix front sight?

Yes.

C4

jcamp
08-06-09, 11:01
But being one piece do you have to take the barrel or the front sight off to slide it over the barrel?

C4IGrant
08-06-09, 11:04
But being one piece do you have to take the barrel or the front sight off to slide it over the barrel?

You have to remove the gas block or FSB (on ANY one piece FF rail).

C4

C4IGrant
08-06-09, 11:06
when you get a minute, can give me the weight of the 13"
thanks

11.7oz (with barrel nut).

C4

grunz
08-06-09, 13:31
11.7oz (with barrel nut).

C4

Could you also weigh the 9 inch - just BBL nut and HG - no rail panels.

BTW I just placed an order with you (VCAS Sling) bout how long does your standard shipping take to get to Commiefornia.

Thanks!

C4IGrant
08-06-09, 13:34
Could you also weigh the 9 inch - just BBL nut and HG - no rail panels.

BTW I just placed an order with you (VCAS Sling) bout how long does your standard shipping take to get to Commiefornia.

Thanks!

I do not have any 9's to weight at this point.

UPS Ground is usually 3-5 days.

C4

Pat.c
08-13-09, 22:40
When you install these do you have to cut off the delta ring like the rest of their products?

Robb Jensen
08-13-09, 22:46
When you install these do you have to cut off the delta ring like the rest of their products?

The Troy has it's own barrel nut so you have to remove everything and install the Troy barrel nut. You don't have to cut the delta ring.

3CTactical
08-25-09, 17:05
Grant, were you including the 3 separate rail sections on the 7.1 oz you listed as the weight of the 9" TRX? I ask because I'm trying to figure out the weight of the 11" with barrel nut and all 3 rail sections. When I called Troy, they said it was 9.93oz. total on the 11", but they seemed a little confused, so I'm just trying to verify that number. You wouldn't happen to have a 11" you could weigh for me, would ya?

C4IGrant
08-25-09, 18:10
Grant, were you including the 3 separate rail sections on the 7.1 oz you listed as the weight of the 9" TRX? I ask because I'm trying to figure out the weight of the 11" with barrel nut and all 3 rail sections. When I called Troy, they said it was 9.93oz. total on the 11", but they seemed a little confused, so I'm just trying to verify that number. You wouldn't happen to have a 11" you could weigh for me, would ya?

I did not include the three rails.

C4

sinister
08-25-09, 18:34
I tried out the 9-inch Extreme for mid-lengths.

Pros:

It is very easy to mount (came with a separate armorer's wrench for the steel nut and standard M16 nuts);

extremely light (for me to offset the weight of a Schmidt-Bender Short Dot and Scout light) and has a very narrow profile (I really dig how skinny it is);

the air-cooled Browning M1919A4-style holes seem to keep the barrel cool;

Evan from Marketing and all the girls in the office are really nice to work with over the phone and e-mail.

CONS:

It ships with two 3-inch railed sections and a 4-inch section with a QD sling swivel hole. Older website photos showed two 2-inch panels and a 4-inch. They aren't planning to make 2-inch panels.

Why this matters to me: if you're right-handed and all you want to put on the left side is a rail-mounted sling on the left, a vertical pistol grip on the bottom, and a Scout light on the right all I want are three 2-inch panels. You'll be able to keep the tube clean to swing conventional style for longer shots without unused rails in the way. On a mid-length the 3-inchers and the 4-incher almost defeat the purpose for mounting a clean, skinny base tube.

Troy's not planning on making them and I'd feel stupid calling Mark Larue to make accessories for a competitor's product.

I sent it back.

VFG with 2-inch section:

http://troyind.com/Images1/TRX-01.jpg

VTAC showing 2-inch panels:

http://www.vikingtactics.com/images/vtac_xtreme_rail.jpg

Kyle with full-length Troy/VTAC and 2-inch panels:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb184/treehopr/VTAC%20Street%20Fighter/VTACStreetFighter317.jpg

3CTactical
08-26-09, 00:23
Does anyone know how much the rail panels themselves weigh?

ra2bach
08-27-09, 11:03
I don't, but honestly, why should it matter? what could they possibly weigh, an ounce maybe? the rail itself is already one of the lightest/strongest you can buy.

I look at it like this, at most the panels will weigh about what one or two loaded cartridges weigh. in the course of firing a single mag, you've already changed the weight and balance of the rifle more than the weight of the rails, panels, and probably the front sight combined...

rob_s
09-26-09, 10:05
Viking Tactics put this weight information on their site.
2" rail = .8 oz.

4" rail = 1.6 oz.

Nut = 1.5 oz.

Anyone with one of these rails that can measure the ID, width, and height? Caliper measurements (vs. eyeballing with a ruler) preferred.

JSGlock34
09-26-09, 10:42
Hmm...I'm intrigued. These reported weights are impressive. I'm starting to envision one of the forthcoming BCM lightweight uppers paired with a Troy/VTAC tube. I've seen some hints that Noveske will offer lightweight profile N4 barrels too - and they're apparently offering Troy tubes as an option.

Deaj
09-26-09, 13:12
Man, that supressor under the rail looks cool!

Drummer
09-26-09, 14:32
Anyone with one of these rails that can measure the ID, width, and height? Caliper measurements (vs. eyeballing with a ruler) preferred.

According to my calipers, the ID height of the TRX is 1.71" and the width is 1.47". I had no problem fitting a shaved FSB under it.

OD is 1.74".

Also, the 9" rail weights 8.7 OZ minus any rails and attachment screws.

Overall, I still prefer the JP VTAC due to the slightly larger feel and lack of top rail. I'm not overly fond of the TRX attachment method. It's time for DD or Larue to give the lightweight modular rail a try.

rob_s
09-26-09, 16:12
the rail itself is already one of the strongest you can buy.

How do you determine this?

rob_s
09-26-09, 16:23
According to my calipers, the ID height of the TRX is 1.71" and the width is 1.47". I had no problem fitting a shaved FSB under it.

OD is 1.74".

Also, the 9" rail weights 8.7 OZ minus any rails and attachment screws.

By "OD" I assume you mean width? Any chance you could give me the height from top to bottom on the outside?

Overall, I still prefer the JP VTAC due to the slightly larger feel and lack of top rail. I'm not overly fond of the TRX attachment method. It's time for DD or Larue to give the lightweight modular rail a try.
The JP never held any interest for me. It weighs more than a full railed system from DD so I never saw any use in it.

I agree that it would be nice to see someone like Larue or DD tackle the lightweight lightweight system. I'd like to see someone do a 1.6 ID (to fit 1.5" OD 5.56 cans) and no rail but the top, with a rotation-limiting QD and the front and rear of the rail.

ccoker
09-26-09, 16:48
FWIW
I like the Troy Extreme and have one on my 6.8

Drummer
09-27-09, 15:25
By "OD" I assume you mean width? Any chance you could give me the height from top to bottom on the outside?

2.09" from the bottom of the tube to the top of the rail.

ra2bach
09-28-09, 09:14
How do you determine this?

I didn't say strongest, you did.

my exact quote was - "the rail itself is already one of the lightest/strongest you can buy"...

meaning of that type. is this wrong?

El Mac
09-28-09, 09:41
The JP never held any interest for me. It weighs more than a full railed system from DD so I never saw any use in it.

Interesting. Having had to use 4 rails for some time, the VTAC JP was a breath of fresh air if for no other reason than it is smaller and it feels better. Never did like having to hold onto a square 'porkypine'.

The VTAC Troy would have held even more interest for me if it didn't include the full 12 o'clock rail.

rob_s
09-28-09, 10:06
I didn't say strongest, you did.

my exact quote was - "the rail itself is already one of the lightest/strongest you can buy"...

meaning of that type. is this wrong?

Huh?

regardless of your modifier, you said it's the strongest. I'm looking for quantification of this statement. I'll assume by your avoidance of the question that there is none.

rob_s
09-28-09, 10:09
The VTAC Troy would have held even more interest for me if it didn't include the full 12 o'clock rail.

Why the objection there? According to the above poster the TRX is 2.09" tall with the rail and weighs 8.46 oz for a 9.0.

The JP version is 2.00" tall with no top rail and weighs in at 13.00 oz for the 9.0 version.

So the TRX is lighter, and even with the integrated top rail is the same overall height. What am I missing? What's wrong with the full-length top rail if it's not adding weight or height? :confused:

rob_s
09-28-09, 10:10
2.09" from the bottom of the tube to the top of the rail.

Thank you sir! :D

El Mac
09-28-09, 10:32
Why the objection there? ...What's wrong with the full-length top rail if it's not adding weight or height? :confused:

If its not there, then it would make it that much smaller/lighter.

ra2bach
09-28-09, 14:34
Huh?

regardless of your modifier, you said it's the strongest. I'm looking for quantification of this statement. I'll assume by your avoidance of the question that there is none.

Huh? the **** is wrong with you? I didn't say it was the strongest. you're deliberately misquoting my original post.

I said the rail itself is "already ONE OF the lightest/strongest you can buy".

now, what about that statement gets you up on your hind legs?

if you're going to be an asshole at least have your facts right...

:rolleyes:

Failure2Stop
09-28-09, 15:54
Let's calm down and stay on topic without getting bent out of shape over semantics.

Please.

rob_s
10-01-09, 12:01
Huh? the **** is wrong with you? I didn't say it was the strongest. you're deliberately misquoting my original post.

I said the rail itself is "already ONE OF the lightest/strongest you can buy".

now, what about that statement gets you up on your hind legs?

if you're going to be an asshole at least have your facts right...

:rolleyes:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19307

I made the silly mistake of assuming you had done some kind of actual testing to back up your statement. Please explain to me what the difference is between "lightest/strongest" and just "strongest", and how you arrive at your claim either way. Are you saying it's the strongest given it's weight? If so, my original question of how you arrived at this statement still stands.

Just a tip, but typically these overly emotional responses to questions regarding one's statements of fact don't bode well for the poster having much in the way of documentation or validation for the "facts" stated.

10-01-09, 12:19
How is "strongest" measured?

rob_s
10-01-09, 12:38
How is "strongest" measured?

Good question.

But I'm thinking something like this wouldn't be unreasonable.
http://earthsys.com/Library/images/SERVICE%20PHOTOS/concrete-comp-tr-230.jpg

I used to have access to one of those but don't any more.
(no, that's not me in the pic)