PDA

View Full Version : Steel Cased Ammo

bubba04
07-11-09, 13:22
First I want to say hello. This is my first post here, I am glad I found this web site because it saved me purchasing a RRA. I have yet to buy a gun right now but I am favoring getting a 6920.

Is there any issues shooting steel cased ammo through AR's? I also found steel cased ammo that is brass plated. I would love to be able to plink with this cheap stuff.

I read the threads about wolf and it seems like it would be ok, but I just want to make sure there isnt any damage you could be causing by cycling steel ammo through the rifle.

thanks.

bubba

mmike87
07-11-09, 17:48
Read this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34161

It has some suggestions that are good for people that want to shoot a lot of steel cased ammo.

Personally, I use it for plinking all the time.

07-12-09, 05:35
Mirror the recommendations on the 3rd post down on that link.

5.56 chamber and all.

I have used that hornady steel cased practice ammo, probably 4 boxes or so. Never had a problem.

I wouldn't use steel case for any rapid-fire work. Laquer or polymer compounds melting in my chamber scares me.

Wolf? Cycles fine in my gun, accuracy was horrid though. However not every one likes wolf. I played around with a left-hand Stag last week -- new owner, no lube, and shooting wolf. Got a stuck case in the chamber, double-feed and a stuck bolt for good measure. Couldn't tap the case out of the barrel, so used my BCG to yank the round out butt-stroking it on the floor. Frickin' railed forearms...sharp as shark's teeth...the classic AR tiny charging handle doesn't help either.

Finally got it out but the bolt got stuck to the rear when it was all done. Must have been out of spec parts too, because it couldn't go forward.

Attributed to 1) uninformed owner, 2) out of spec parts, 3) crap ammo.