PDA

View Full Version : First time m4 buyer

tpduckwa
07-11-09, 15:05
Hello all, I finally purchased my m4 style carbine from my local gun shop last week. I purchased a Bushmaster Optics Ready Carbine. (Please no bashing BM here, I am well aware of its shortcomings, thanks to this great website!) I bought my BM b/c it was affordable, and it seems like a great gun for someone who is new to the m4 platform and wants to upgrade and customize their weapon over time. This rifle is not my only means of defense for my property and family, so I dont have to trust my life to BM quality. I keep my Glock 19c at the ready for any such occasion as it is much quicker to present and easily concealed. I also keep my Benelli Nova 12 ga. pump loaded with 00 buckshot in the event of an emergency. This is my first centerfire rifle purchase. I bought the m4 wanting a gun that is fun to plink/target shoot and maybe do some occasional small-medium sized game hunting. Also (im not gonna lie here) I really like the look of the carbine, not to mention the history behind the weapon. I picked up a box of Remington UMC 55 gr mc .223 to test out the function of the weapon. Before firing the rifle I disassembled it to check several things out. I am happy to say my BM came with a well staked gas key and the proper extractor insert. It did not come with a staked castle nut, or an H buffer. I do plan on getting the castle nut staked, and I am considering the H buffer soon. I mounted my cheap BSA red dot sight on the supplied 1/2 inch optics risers. (again no bashing my lack of a decent optic please, I am currently saving for a nice optic) After familiarizing myself with the controls of the rifle, I went to my private shooting range (my backyard :-) and shot 20 rounds through the weapon. The red dot was zero'd at 30 yards after 5 rounds. After zeroing the rifle, I shot a number of different targets (water jugs, concrete masonry units, wood blocks etc) to get a feel for the power of the 223 round. All in all, the weapon performed flawlessly in every aspect. When I was done I had a nice neat pile of brass between 1 and 2 oclock about 5-6 feet from my seated position. After shooting, I disassembled the rifle for cleaning. I have to admit I was a little nervous taking the gun apart the first time, but after doing it once I'd say its a piece of cake. All things considered I am extremely happy with my purchase. My next m4 wont be a Bushmaster, but I dont plan on getting rid of mine anytime soon!

mmike87
07-11-09, 17:53
Congrats on your new rifle. Sounds like your on your way to complete addiction. :)

Detective_D
07-11-09, 19:00
Congrats on the flawless run with your first AR.

Welcome to the dark side!!
~D

Pistola
07-11-09, 21:11
Glad you're happy with it.:D

thedog
07-11-09, 21:17
Good for you, friend!

dog

Mikebiker
07-12-09, 00:20
The line," My Next M4" confirms you have a diagnosed case of BRD. Congratulations!

tpduckwa
07-12-09, 11:19
lol, so true. i definately have a new addiction!

ranger216
07-13-09, 12:43
Now comes the fun part where you have as much in the accessories as you have in the rifle. You can never have to much in a AR.

Mikebiker
07-13-09, 17:57
I just bought another lower to bring my total to six. The truth is you should have more in the accessories then the gun.

tpduckwa
07-14-09, 11:33
i cannot wait to put a few grand into accessories for my new carbine. The first thing i want is an aimpoint rds. Then I will add a freefloat railed forearm, add a mount for my surefire light, a vertical grip of some sort, a nice pair of back up irons and probably call it a day. Then Ill get some professional training (carbine classes) and put rounds through the thing until it breaks. At this pount ill buy a high end BCG and other internals. Then I can build my next m4. (I'm feeling the BRD getting to me, I already have plans for a nasty Frankengun build....)