PDA

View Full Version : Strange Colt 6551

sparrow
01-24-07, 03:03
I have a Colt 6551(?) which has an interesting feature. The rifle has a 20" Govt.Profile barrel, no bayonet lug, has a sear block with a huge pin much larger than I have noticed before. Here's the kicker, it has a mag fence which has no detent hole drilled, the upper and lower have standard front take down pin holes and a push pin with bearing is utilized...the gun is all Colt. I am in the process of replacing the barrel with a Colt Govt profile which has the bayonet lug and was thinking I would finish the detent hole and install a standard push pin...I've had dozens of Colts and have never seen this up here. Is this a common gun in the USA? Has anyone finished the mag fence detent before?

Submariner
01-24-07, 06:26
It is so common that Ken Elmore has a line item on his services for drilling the detent hole www.sawlesales.com.

ETA: Used to have it listed. Try contacting Tina.

Brewer
01-24-07, 09:35
I have a Sporter Target 6551 configured exactly as yours is. I too have thought off and on about having the mag fence drilled for the detent and pin, but I don't want the inconvenience of having to send the rifle out for the service. I'm really not too inconvenienced by the pin as it is, so I just live with it. I am very happy with my rifle's performance. It has been unerringly reliable and is very accurate.

Brewer

sparrow
01-24-07, 10:40
Thanks guys, glad to hear it is a common item. If I can get a couple of spares(pins) I don't think I will bother to have it drilled it out.

ETA: Ken does list the service under shop services, $50.00 for the work, good price given the deep hole and constant cleaning required.

sparrow
02-02-07, 23:45
Swapped out the barrel for a Govt. Profile Colt with bayonet lug and had the detent hole drilled, gave it to my guy this morning and he had it back to me before closing this evening, I have to say I am smitten, a Colt with all the trappings of an M16A2 Service Rifle, no two screws, no slab side, no sliced bayonet lug...I love it. You US guys probably take this stuff for granted but it is a pretty rare horse up here...thanks for all the good advice on the board thus far fellas. This place kicks ass.:)

AR-15A3
02-03-07, 13:58
Congrats, that's a nice project for the R6551 Sporter Target rifle.

If I still had my former same rifle as yours I would have done the same upgrade but I sold it a few years before the AWB ended.

I got mine new in '91 same mag button fence except mine didn't have any sear block.

I don't remember the size of my hammer and trigger pins if it was the standard small .154" dia. or the large .170" dia. which are on all current Colt models now.

Enjoy your rifle. :D

KevinB
02-03-07, 15:19
Ray- want to sell it :D

Sounds good.