PDA

View Full Version : Problematic Stag Model 1 Range Report

hammonje
07-12-09, 10:16
I have range session data to present from my wounded Stag Model 1. The good news is she ran like a deer. No pun intended. I got the idea from watching the John Deer Classic yesterday when I got home. Nothing puts me to sleep like watching golf....the rifle was experiencing extraction issues and the BCG was trying to return and smash the chamber to pieces, she was running a bit fast. I was using primarily M193 (Prvi and Federal) and used some M855 (Prvi) in this range session and during the previous failures.

I installed an H2 buffer and BCM extraction upgrade kit (minus 0-ring). The rifle still extracted at 2 o'clock but with sufficient force. The buffer slowed the BCG down nicely and the action felt superior, more smooth with less felt recoil. It was just nice to have the rifle running reliably.

I also sighted in both an Aimpoint ML3 and Eotech 512.A65. I really like the Eotech hands down. I am an accuracy freak though and like the more defined reticle. I can get a much tighter group at 200M.

Also of interest is the 1/9 twist barrel will shoot M193 and M855 with equal accuracy. I was actually getting better groups from the M855, although they were shifted 3-4" left of the M193 pattern. It's good to know the shift, but I will not adjust the optics for this load b/c M193 will be my primary ammunition. I was getting 1.5 - 2 MOA from both ammunition with the Troy BUIS irons. I wish I had a NM carry handle and see what this baby can really do. I can easily shoot much better from irons than I can with any optic. I usually position shoot for accuracy...using both sitting and prone. Offhand is pretty painful with ammo costs these days.

All is good to go and I owe that to folks on this forum. The alternative would been to have sent it back and probably gotten it back without the proper extractor parts. They seemed less knowledgable than forum members when I called them. Thanks for the generosity and info.