PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Tactical Sling

hammonje
07-12-09, 11:03
I want to put a tactical sling on my M4. I am torn between a single point (bungy looking one's) and the two point.

I have two questions:

1st: What is the best option, knowing I prefer a two point sling???? The single sling kind of dangles the rifle freely and not good for running. I am ignorant though and these are just raw observations on my part.

I now use a hasty USGI sling but it is not long enough to throw the rifle down over my left shoulder. Still that transiton will be slow for rifle to pistol transition work.

2nd: What exact slings do you suggest once you inform me why you use one over the other. If you like the single point what type of mount should I get for the M4.

Thanks guys....

SeriousStudent
07-12-09, 11:21
Many here value Mr. Vicker's advice:

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/carbine-slings/

I personally own five of the two-point slings he designed.

CTBuilder1
07-12-09, 12:47
I have a Vicker's sling in addition to a Gear Sector single point. As much as I wanted to like the Vicker's I guess I am just not a two point sling guy. I love the Gear Sector. My preference is a single point sling with no bungee. I really don't need an 8 lbs weight on the end of a rubber band. I haven't found much of an issue with running with a single point because I maintain control of the weapon instead of letting it dangle like a pendulum.

d90king
07-12-09, 13:56
I have 3 of the Vickers padded slings that I like very much. If you are thin you might have to take a few inches off. He makes them big enough to use with vests and rigs etc... They work great on both AK's and AR's...

TonyM
07-12-09, 13:56
I think I have tried almost every sling made at one time or another. I started with a 2 point, then 3 point, then single point, and now back to a Vickers padded CAS sling. I have them on all my AR's.

GLOCKMASTER
07-12-09, 14:05
I don't think you can go wrong with either a VTAC (Viking Tactics) or a VCAS (Vickers Tactical) sling. They are both well designed and built. You need to get out and find these slings and get your hands on them to decide for yourself.

Also reading through this forum will help as well as there is already tons of threads regarding slings.

hammonje
07-12-09, 14:37
What is the best type of mount to put on the M4 to attach the sling???? Daniel Defense or another brand that is commercially available???

Thanks for the imput. What exact type of Vickers sling to you get for the M4??? I noticed there were many different types.

Thanks I know I am a neeb. This is very helpful as there are just too many options and my money is thin. I need ammo too....

Expedition
07-12-09, 16:25
hammonje,

Two point slings are great for patrol use and are very comfortable for wearing around all day. You can actually forget that you have a gun attached to you. In addition, the padded versions are very comfortable with heavy weapon systems.

Having said the above, there are some short comings that make a single point advantagous:
1) Cross shoulder transitions are difficult with two points, even quick adjust types. If you want to be able to shoot weak side quickly, especially from odd positions, a single point gets in the way less, and won't choke you out after a couple of transitions. Yeah, I know you can loosen them, but calling "time out" in a gun fight to adjust your slings seems unlikely
2) In close proximity, such as in training scenerios and classes, two points require increased muzzle discipline because they naturally hang with muzzle pointing outside your footprint. Single points generally hang straight down.
3) Single points dangling around whilst one runs about is a curious concern. Your rifle is your primary weapon, and as such should be in your hands as you move about. If you have transitioned to a secondary and do not have cover or team support, your rifle dangling while you run is a small concern. A single point allows you to easily carry a rifle with either hand in the event you are injured or have to help move an injured person.
4) There are a great many instructors out there currently teaching to reload and address malfunctions in front of you "in your work space". Two points, if not adjusted for this situation can get in the way and even make it difficult to get the muzzle up. Again, calling time out because you found that your sling was too tight to go muzzle up to clear your weapon might not be an option.

I'm not saying that two two points are a bad idea or untenable, but that a single point might me be a little simpler to use for a new shooter. I run two points, like the vcas, on heavy guns. I run non-bungee single points on most rifles, especially lighter guns. Both are good options if trained with and applied properly.

My $.02.

CLHC
07-12-09, 19:34
Many here value Mr. Vicker's advice:

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/carbine-slings/
Never perused that link before till now. Thanks! :cool:

ranger216
07-15-09, 01:50
I have the Magpul MS2 it can go from single to two very easily,they also have emergency break away, if your M4 were get lodged , but you cant get them right now unless you want to pay top dollar but they are very well made and designed well for combat

Irish
07-15-09, 01:55
These may help:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7114

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33958