PDA

View Full Version : Headspacing

usafcustomM4
01-24-07, 12:32
Hey everyone. i know its been posted before but just got back from overseas and got some nice tdy and cola pay. so now i can finally get my ass in gear with my M4.:D got a wilson tactical lower, VLTOR upper and stock from the gun store i work at part time. But i really need to know how to headspace a barrel the right way, tools needed, etc. i can get almost anything i need from the gunstore. And does anyone have any recommendations on a good 16'' fluted barrel w/M4 feedramps.

Lots of questions to come but from what ive seen on here for the past year, i know this is the best bet for all my technical questions.

Thanks a ton guys
Matt;)

-H-
01-24-07, 21:13
If you buy a barrel from a reputable manufacturer you don't have to worry about headspacing.

For the barrel you have in mind you might check with CMMG or Sabre Defence.

usafcustomM4
01-25-07, 10:10
Thanks H.
How come i wont have to headspace the cmmg or sabre barrels.
are they pre-headspaced or just made in specs already.

9DivDoc
01-25-07, 18:20
Welcome Home and thank you for your service to our country and the security of our families..

Sabre Defence makes a nice fluted barrel with what you are looking for...

Headspacing....never hurts to check it yourself....just like all aspects of your weapon
before you drop a hammer...

Enjoy this site...got a lot of knowledgeable down to earth folks here.....

Book smart..shop smart...and field smart....

usafcustomM4
01-25-07, 18:44
I was going to once i order the barrel, i mean it only takes a minute.
But it never hurts to ask a few to many questions so i dont mess up 400-600 dollars in parts.
Again thanks H and Doc for the info:D

-H-
01-26-07, 21:18
Thanks H.
How come i wont have to headspace the cmmg or sabre barrels.
are they pre-headspaced or just made in specs already.

I believe a barrel is headspaced when the barrel extention is attached to the barrel. If the Manufacturer is well known or established you can pretty much ensure that they have the proper tools and equipment to headspace correctly at the factory.

I listed CMMG and Sabre Defence because they carry 16" barrels with M4 barrel extentions. I know for certain that Sabre has some that are already fluted, but CMMG I think you have to request fluting or pay someone else to do it for you.