PDA

View Full Version : XM193 VS XM855 from a 16" 1:7 twist barrel

sholling
07-13-09, 01:27
Let me say first that I read as far back as I could access hoping I wouldn't be repeating a dumb question. Here's my situation before I ask the question. I'm not one of our heroes in uniform, I'm a 53y/o civilian that likes to shoot and likes to be prepared. I just replaced my trusty Stag carbine (1:9 twist) with a Bravo Company middy with a 1:7 twist. That's something brand new to me which is why I'm bugging you fine folks. I like to keep a good bit of ammo around for a rainy day and to stay in practice and have 1500 or so rounds of Lake City XM193 plus some mutt stuff.

I'd like to add another 1000rds for a rainy day plus the same in practice ammo. As much as I'd like to have 1000rds of LE grade ammo put away I can't afford it. So my question is should I stay with XM193 or move my future purchases to the pricer XM855. I want to standardize on something so that my rainy day rounds are the same as my practice rounds. Thanks in advance!

Shawn Dodson
07-13-09, 01:44
My primary ammo is M193. IMO M855 offers trivial terminal performance improvement. Both are horrible for shooting through automotive windshield glass - but I have 6.8 to deal with that problem.

I handload most of my 5.56mm ammo.

There are "barrier blind" cartridges available but I'm unaware if they're currently available to private citizens. I'd prefer to obtain just the projectile and handload my own cartridges.

Cheers!

Boss302
07-13-09, 01:55
The terminal differences will be negligible. You can't go wrong with either one, so go with what you can get.

Iraqgunz
07-13-09, 02:46
sholling,

Get the best that you can afford. I buy Lake City M855 when I can because of the QC. I also have a few thousand rounds of M193 that I use for GP and SHTF. I also keep about 600 rounds of Hornady 75gr. 5.56 TAP on hand for standard perp repellent.

I saw a guy get zapped with 3 rounds of M193 about 12 years ago. It did the trick against him.

sholling
07-14-09, 00:45
Thanks all!