PDA

View Full Version : Crooked Troy MRF-DI and MI MCTAR rails?

justin_247
07-13-09, 06:25
I've been looking at all the drop-in rail systems out there and one thing that I've noticed is that the Troy MRF-DI and MI MCTAR rail systems are crooked in many photos. It appears as if the top rail is not entirely level with the upper receiver rail. If you took a straight edge ruler it would be even where it meets up with the delta ring assembly but gradually slants down as you move further towards the front sight.

One commenter noticed this at Bravo Company and if you look at pictures of the M&P 15X on the S&W website and the MI MCTAR rail install on the Military Morons site you'll notice this, as well. I haven't really noticed this issue with any military rifles similarly equipped, so I'm wondering what's causing this issue.

Has anybody else noticed this other than me? Is this just a problem with the install, a problem with the rail, or a design flaw in rifles produced by various manufacturers? Additionally, does the ERGO Z Rail have this issue?

Sarge45
07-13-09, 11:54
I have the Troy MRF-DI installed on my BCM upper and there is no indication at all of what you describe on my setup. It's possible the folks that set the guns up for pics didn't know what they were doing ? I am 100% satisfied with fit, finish and integrity of my rail.

C4IGrant
07-13-09, 12:01
I've been looking at all the drop-in rail systems out there and one thing that I've noticed is that the Troy MRF-DI and MI MCTAR rail systems are crooked in many photos. It appears as if the top rail is not entirely level with the upper receiver rail. If you took a straight edge ruler it would be even where it meets up with the delta ring assembly but gradually slants down as you move further towards the front sight.

One commenter noticed this at Bravo Company and if you look at pictures of the M&P 15X on the S&W website and the MI MCTAR rail install on the Military Morons site you'll notice this, as well. I haven't really noticed this issue with any military rifles similarly equipped, so I'm wondering what's causing this issue.

Has anybody else noticed this other than me? Is this just a problem with the install, a problem with the rail, or a design flaw in rifles produced by various manufacturers? Additionally, does the ERGO Z Rail have this issue?

Do you think it is the rail or the receiver??? ;)

Also, the if the timing of the barrel nut is slightly off (somewhat normal) then the raill will not line up with the receiver.

C4

justin_247
07-13-09, 20:40
I can't imagine either of these manufacturers producing rails that have this problem, so I pretty much wrote off that idea from the get go.

The install must either be jacked up or the upper receiver must be out of spec in some way. I see S&W has posted a better picture now where the rail is level.

Thanks for the inputs!