PDA

View Full Version : 10.5 vs 11.5

jwfuhrman
07-13-09, 10:29
Ok bunch of questions as Im new to SBR's.

Ive got my Form 1 mailed out waiting on it to get approved, which will be awhile, and I put down 10.5in as the barrel length as thats the shortest I will ever go. But now Im reading 11.5in may be the better way to go. My current rifle is a Bushmaster M4A3 lower and the 16in A3 upper. Im wanting to make my new SBR my home defense 125yrd MAX range gun, as I have a full size AR w/ 18in SPR barrel for anything over that. I was thinkin 10.5 as a good length because its small, and more manuverable in side, and will be nice for while out on the 4wheeler checkin my farm as its not as cumbersome as the 18in SPR I have.

My questions are as follows:

1. 10.5 or 11.5?

2. If I go 10.5, Im down to 3 companies I wanna buy from - Noveske(if they ever get any stock built back up), Rainier Arms, and White Oak. Just want to know which barrel maker is prefered.

3. If I go 11.5, should I just order from Bushmaster to keep my gun all Bushmaster, or should I look somewhere else. I want the best accuracy I can get and I know Bushmaster makes good stuff for competition, but idk what you guys recommend. I have about $400 MAX to spend on a barrel which will prolly limit me....

4. I want a 1/9 to 1/7 twist. Bushmaster does 1/9 only which is my only downside to Bushmaster. But Im running Federal XM193 and Remington UMC 55grain ammo. I may load some 62 or 64 grain handloads in the future but will probably stick with 55grain

5. What fore rails(free float) will work? I have a brownells low pro gas block Id like to use on my new build, and the UTG Freefloat rails dont fit over the low pro I have. Im debating on getting the free float quad rail BMAS from Bushmaster if I go with their barrel. I guess thats the type of Rail system Id like.

markm
07-13-09, 10:49
I wouldn't go with the bushmaster just for the sake of keeping the gun all bush.

I prefer 11.5. Sabre and BCM come to mind. You'll probably have to wait 9 months for a bushmaster upper anyway. I have an extra 11.5 Sabre barral with a flat top upper if you can't find anything immediatley available. (i'm not actively selling this, but the thought just crossed my mind)

spamsammich
07-13-09, 11:03
If you don't choose to go with BCM for your 11.5" upper, I may have a line on one. I just sold one to a guy that didn't like how it matched his lower and is looking to recover his costs.

jwfuhrman
07-13-09, 12:10
Well Im not looking for a whole upper, Im just replacing the barrel. Thats why I was curious about Bushmaster.

With me using XM193 and UMC 55grain, will having a 1/7 over 1/9 make that big of a deal?

Cameron
07-13-09, 12:20
I figured if I was going to get an SBR I may as well go as short as possible (without getting a 7.5" as I think they look funny), so I got a 10.5" from LMT, it has functioned well. My buddy has the 11.5" from Bravo Co and that is a nice rig too. If you get a Bushmaster you just have to be confident that BM is using the correct port size so the shorty will cycle reliably. I have a little experience with the LMTs, BCMs, and Noveske, but not the Bushmasters. Honestly, I had a Bushmaster, and if I was going through the trouble and expense of getting the SBR stamp, I wouldn't do it with a Bushmaster. Although it really doesn't matter as long as it runs I suppose.

As to the rail, with some input from the crew here, I put a Daniel Defense 10" lite on the 10.5" SBR and I really like how it turned out.

The twist rate between 1in9 and 1in7 shouldn't make any difference with 55gr ammo, but the 1in7 will help if you ever want to shoot 75-77gr ammo.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/cameron_personal/LMT%20CQBR/CamzCQBR.jpg

Cameron

markm
07-13-09, 12:35
With me using XM193 and UMC 55grain, will having a 1/7 over 1/9 make that big of a deal?

Not for the weights you're shooting. A general guidline is 1/9 is capable of handling up to 69 grain length bullets, some 1/9 barrels will shoot longer bullets though.

CarlosDJackal
07-13-09, 14:32
I have both BCM 11.5" and LMT 10.5" uppers and I recommend either one.

RetreatHell
07-13-09, 17:24
Go with the BCM 11.5" barrel. They are in stock right now at BravoCompanyUSA dot com, and they are priced at $339.95... it will suit your needs perfectly and is also well within your budget.

The 10.5" LMT is good to go as well, but the extra 1 inch of barrel with the BCM 11.5" might help you out (velocity-wise, in reference to penetration and devastation in tissue) when shooting a coyote or hog, or whatever you have out at your farm/property that you might need to dispatch while patrolling the land on your ATV.

Just my opinion... I personally have both:D

-Paul