PDA

View Full Version : Barrel cut/suppressor plans - help me out.

Pro2AInPA
07-13-09, 14:36
Ok, I think I have decided what I want to do with my AR. I currently am running an 18" barrel and midlength gas system.

Here's the plan:

1. Buy an AAC SPR/M4 flash hider, and have ADCO cut my barrel to whatever length will give me 16" OAL with the flash hider perm. attached. (I don't know how long the flash hider is, but it looks pretty dang long)

2. Have ADCO move my gas port from MID to CAR, for obvious reasons with such a short barrel.

3. Do my NFA paperwork and when it comes back, buy the SPR/M4 suppressor and of course, attach it to the perm. attached SPR/M4 flash hider!

Now, I have some questions:

1. Will having the flash hider perm. attached mess up the mounting point for the suppressor and not allow me to use it?

2. Who makes a rail system that the suppressor will fit inside of? I'm pretty sure it won't clear the LaRue rail I'm running currently.

Anyone see any problems with this plan? If not, I will proceed as planned!

RyanB
07-13-09, 15:39
You can't fit an AAC can inside anything you need access to the tab on the back of the can to unscrew it. Pinning is doable but some people might not be comfortable doing it. If Steve says he can do it, he can do it. Don't plug your port, you can run a 14" midlength without any trouble.

Derek_Connor
07-13-09, 15:44
Ok, I think I have decided what I want to do with my AR. I currently am running an 18" barrel and midlength gas system.

Here's the plan:

1. Buy an AAC SPR/M4 flash hider, and have ADCO cut my barrel to whatever length will give me 16" OAL with the flash hider perm. attached. (I don't know how long the flash hider is, but it looks pretty dang long)

-ADCO would be my first place to send a barrel, unlike other vendors, they are a true machine shop, and can get this done square to the bore, threads perfect, and fast turn around.

-the aac m4/spr needs about 2.4inches of barrel to mount correctly.

2. Have ADCO move my gas port from MID to CAR, for obvious reasons with such a short barrel.

3. Do my NFA paperwork and when it comes back, buy the SPR/M4 suppressor and of course, attach it to the perm. attached SPR/M4 flash hider!

Now, I have some questions:

1. Will having the flash hider perm. attached mess up the mounting point for the suppressor and not allow me to use it?

Yes it could screw things up, it could throw off the alignment of the suppressor and bore.

2. Who makes a rail system that the suppressor will fit inside of? I'm pretty sure it won't clear the LaRue rail I'm running currently.

Most popular AR15 rails systems will NOT encompass a suppressor. And especially with a ratcheting mount that AAC has, you DO NOT want to do this.

How would you get it off when you cannot reach the latch, when its underneath the rail?

Anyone see any problems with this plan? If not, I will proceed as planned!

Yeah, I wouldn't do it.
Save the $$$, and buy a new barrel.

Frank Castle
07-13-09, 15:46
You may want to re-evaluate your plans. Although the M.I.T.E.R is indeed pretty long at 4.25 inches, the mount only adds 1.75 inches to the OAL according to the AAC website. So assuming you want to be a little over 16 inches as a safety factor (lets say .25), your barrel length would need to be 14.5 inches before permanently attaching the mount. You will need 2.5 inches of unobstructed overlap on your barrel for the mount. You can now measure to see if you will need to move your gas block. As for the rail, I don't believe anyone makes a rail that would fit over the supressor. Are you going to remove the rail each time you want to remove the supressor as the release would be covered by the rail? 14.5 is a very common length- why not just buy another barrel as you are likely to spend just as much to have all of the barrel modifications. You could sell your 18" barrel to recoup some of your costs- or keep it for another build at a later date.

Pro2AInPA
07-13-09, 20:17
You may want to re-evaluate your plans. Although the M.I.T.E.R is indeed pretty long at 4.25 inches, the mount only adds 1.75 inches to the OAL according to the AAC website. So assuming you want to be a little over 16 inches as a safety factor (lets say .25), your barrel length would need to be 14.5 inches before permanently attaching the mount. You will need 2.5 inches of unobstructed overlap on your barrel for the mount. You can now measure to see if you will need to move your gas block. As for the rail, I don't believe anyone makes a rail that would fit over the supressor. Are you going to remove the rail each time you want to remove the supressor as the release would be covered by the rail? 14.5 is a very common length- why not just buy another barrel as you are likely to spend just as much to have all of the barrel modifications. You could sell your 18" barrel to recoup some of your costs- or keep it for another build at a later date.

Ya know, I think what I'm going to do is just sell my entire upper and buy an M4 upper as my starting point. This upper I'm using now is too heavy for the type of shooting I'm doing. It's ungodly accurate, but too heavy.