PDA

View Full Version : Open Rifle carry?

tinman44
07-14-09, 02:15
I have no idea so I'll ask the question first then give a sugestion. Is it illegal to carry a rifle slinged on your shoulder or across your chest? It is illegal to carry pistols open in some states, some its not, some require you to have a license to carry either open or concealed.

So without reading into my question does anyone know if it is legal to open carry a rifle? Could this be used as a statement? I'm sure law enforcement would have their hands full with reports. If this were legal and it was an organized showing I wouldnt dream of having ammo nearby.

FMF_Doc
07-14-09, 02:27
It is legal in Texas to carry long arms openly, however you cannot display it in any manner that causes alarm. So tactical carries would be a no-no, around where I live I have carried my carbine on the sling without anyone batting an eye.

I live in the country, I wouldn't recommend doing it in town.

When I was in high school it wasn't uncommon to see rifles and shotguns on gunracks in peoples trucks, on campus.

My question is why would you want to carry a rifle in public? An armed public gathering sounds like a bad idea, given how stupid sheeple are.

tinman44
07-14-09, 02:32
I have no reason. I have a permit to carry concealed in my state. I've just never heard this discussed. I've seen videos of israel military personel carrying in their communities and understood they would carry while on leave. It was just something I thought I would throw out there. I've always thought, if gun owners marched on washington we would likely all be carrying signs at the end of sticks, or cardboard posters of rifles. But what would be illegal about carrying empty rifles to make a showing. Again this wouldn't be something I would do at an ATM or while pumping gas as I have a permit and conceal.

edit: just saw your edit and it clicked. yeah armed mob sounds like something that would get mowed down by ground forces as well as air forces.

Iraqgunz
07-14-09, 05:48
AFAIK in my state of Arizona open carry is not dependent on type of firearm. I know someone who rides his motorcycle to the range where he shoots and carries his carbine slung across his back. I don't like the idea, but hey.

However, when you do so without some real reason you may as well have a bright pink shirt on that says Attention Whore. And common sense would say that in this day and age you will probably be stopped by the police and are putting yourself in a dangerous situation.

And that whole march on Washington thing with firearms would be about as smart as playing catch with vials of nitroglycerin.

I have no reason. I have a permit to carry concealed in my state. I've just never heard this discussed. I've seen videos of israel military personel carrying in their communities and understood they would carry while on leave. It was just something I thought I would throw out there. I've always thought, if gun owners marched on washington we would likely all be carrying signs at the end of sticks, or cardboard posters of rifles. But what would be illegal about carrying empty rifles to make a showing. Again this wouldn't be something I would do at an ATM or while pumping gas as I have a permit and conceal.

edit: just saw your edit and it clicked. yeah armed mob sounds like something that would get mowed down by ground forces as well as air forces.

d90king
07-14-09, 07:39
Pa is an open carry state. You must have a license to carry in your car or class 3 cities though.I don't really get it, but to each his own... I respect others rights even if it doesn't work for me personally.

I don't believe it specifies what you can carry (it is a silent law). If memory serves me you can not have a loaded AR in your vehicle though. Why would you want to carry a rifle open? Just seems to be screaming "look at me" and asking for problems...

Each state is different so you should check your state, there is no blanket answer to this question.

handgunlaws.us might be a good place to start...

kaiservontexas
07-14-09, 11:13
Yep, legal in Texas as already stated, and I agree with the other statement "attention whore." I found out it was legal when I was a kid. Some guy was walking down the street with a shotgun. He had no car and walked all the way (many many many miles) from the pawn shop to get it out of hock. I asked him what the hell because I knew the guy, and it was explained to me. The fact that the police just cruised by affirmed it. They did not even pause to bother him.

If I had no option I would do it like the guy from my childhood, but I would at least case it. Times have changed and I am sure today the cop would have stopped. Wondering if the guy was on his way to a massacre or leaving from one.

Come to think of it I do not see rifle racks in trucks anymore holding rifles and shotguns. Things have indeed changed over time.

Zhurdan
07-14-09, 11:26
I believe concealed carry permits apply to handguns only in most places. In other words, Rifles, SBR's and AoW's would not be covered by CCP's in most places. Open carrying a rifle would get you some attention in most places, be prepared to answer for that attention (sad, but true).

Carrying a slung rifle with a group of other people carrying a slung rifle (no ammo) would definately make the news. Unfortunately, I think it probably wouldn't be in the light you'd want it to be. Especially considering the leaning of most news outlets. You'd probably be labeled "crazy militia people" during the news cast.

Years ago, we used to walk down to the river with rifles slung on our backs to shoot, but that was years ago. My neighbors get a little "whispery" when I used to load up the truck to got shooting, so now I do it under the cover of the garage.

Iraqgunz
07-14-09, 11:36
Zhurdan,

No doubt the times have changed. Even in the Republik of Kalifornia I would see long guns in racks back in the day. Not anymore.

When I loadout my Suburban or 4Runner I back into the garage so no one can see me.

I believe concealed carry permits apply to handguns only in most places. In other words, Rifles, SBR's and AoW's would not be covered by CCP's in most places. Open carrying a rifle would get you some attention in most places, be prepared to answer for that attention (sad, but true).

Carrying a slung rifle with a group of other people carrying a slung rifle (no ammo) would definately make the news. Unfortunately, I think it probably wouldn't be in the light you'd want it to be. Especially considering the leaning of most news outlets. You'd probably be labeled "crazy militia people" during the news cast.

Years ago, we used to walk down to the river with rifles slung on our backs to shoot, but that was years ago. My neighbors get a little "whispery" when I used to load up the truck to got shooting, so now I do it under the cover of the garage.

EzGoingKev
07-14-09, 14:27
I don't know what the law is in MA where I live, but I would never do it.

Just telling someone that you are a gun owner causes panic. Walking around with a firearm unconcealed would cause pandemonium.

tinman44
07-14-09, 19:44
I just wanna clear the air, this is not something I've done or would do. Though I was curious why it never comes out in discussion. There are always groups of some cause that march for a cause. If gun owners were to do something like this it would be ignored by the media as long as it didnt turn into a gun battle. I'm not suggesting but asking what do you think would happen if everyone carried their firearms UNLOADED WITH NO AMMO IN SIGHT. I'm sure some idiot would ruin it, as well as probably only idiots would attend. Though I was wondering the legal ramifications. This was all in my mind while wondering how gun owners could really get the country to pay attention and see that they cant have them. All that said, if this happened it would very likely go bad sure.

What if folks carried their rifles open as some do carry their pistols open carry, I normally do not, though sometimes my shirt lifts up or whatever and its exposed. Only curious of the laws, I realize as was pointed out by doc this would be labeled a mob and likely attacked by everything the government had at its disposal ie local police, national guard ect. Imagine a hoard of gun owners with everything for breach open shotguns to ar's marching in a peaceful protest, of course depending on whos eyes you look through this could also look like a war zone or something.

My point kinda got skewed and lost in "why would you" comments but thats ok I guess I really wanted to see what anyone would reply with.

tinman44
07-14-09, 19:46
I don't know what the law is in MA where I live, but I would never do it.

Just telling someone that you are a gun owner causes panic. Walking around with a firearm unconcealed would cause pandemonium.

The few times my firearm has been spotted that I'm aware of were invited with "thanks" or "good to see a true american" or something of this sort. However I'm sure anti gun people have seen it and just walked the other way in preperation for it to jump out of my holster and shoot everyone in site while I hunkered down as well.

citizensoldier16
07-14-09, 19:47
Here in NC there is no specific law that prohibits the open carrying of firearms, provided one is of legal age to own that firearm (18 for long guns, 21 for handguns). The only exception to that rule that I can think of is while hunting.

However, open carry of a firearm, whether a long gun or a handgun, could be considered "going to the terror of the public" in some jurisdictions; thus causing you to be arrested. Basically that means if a law enforcement officers believes you are carrying a firearm with the intent of causing fear or panic among other citizens, you can be arrested and your firearm confisacated. Obviously if you are hunting and park your vehicle along a public roadway and are seen carrying your rifle to/from your truck, you won't be cited. However, even though it's not specifically illegal, if you were to be seen carrying a rifle in downtown Raleigh, a few more eyebrows might get raised.

With respect to concealed carry laws, NC is pretty much on par with the rest of the nation. It is a "shall issue" state, meaning the sherrif SHALL ISSUE you a permit if you a) request one and b) meet the requirements. In addition, the sherrif SHALL ISSUE you your permit within 90 days of your official request submission, or provide you with documentation as to the reason your permit request was denied.

tinman44
07-14-09, 19:57
Lets just squash this topic and say

It would be cool if we could get 1million gun owners with the blue training plastic replicas to march anywhere to make a statement.

as anything else would be idiotic and/or deadly for some if not all involved.

11Bravo
07-14-09, 20:13
Not addressing the fact that we are a "Might Issue" state.
Chapter 724 of the Iowa Code is the part that deals with weapons and carrying them.
It looks to me to not limit the carried weapon to a handgun or to the method of carrying to concealed.
I'm not gonna tempt it, but it looks to me that as long as I have my permit on me and am within the limitations of my permit, I could stroll down the street with my loaded rifle slung across my back, my loaded pistol on my hip, and my loaded shotgun laying across my arm.

Here is what it says-

724.4 Carrying weapons.
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who goes armed with a dangerous weapon
concealed on or about the person, or who, within the limits of any city, goes armed with a pistol or
revolver, or any loaded firearm of any kind, whether concealed or not, or who knowingly carries or
transports in a vehicle a pistol or revolver, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.
2. A person who goes armed with a knife concealed on or about the person, if the person uses the
knife in the commission of a crime, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.
3. A person who goes armed with a knife concealed on or about the person, if the person does not use
the knife in the commission of a crime:
a. If the knife has a blade exceeding eight inches in length, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.
b. If the knife has a blade exceeding five inches but not exceeding eight inches in length, commits a
serious misdemeanor.
4. Subsections 1 through 3 do not apply to any of the following:
a. A person who goes armed with a dangerous weapon in the person's own dwelling or place of
business, or on land owned or possessed by the person.
b. A peace officer, when the officer's duties require the person to carry such weapons.
c. A member of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or person in the service
of the United States, when the weapons are carried in connection with the person's duties as such.
d. A correctional officer, when the officer's duties require, serving under the authority of the Iowa
department of corrections.
e. A person who for any lawful purpose carries an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other dangerous
weapon inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be
concealed on the person.
f. A person who for any lawful purpose carries or transports an unloaded pistol or revolver in a vehicle
inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed
on the person or inside a cargo or luggage compartment where the pistol or revolver will not be readily
accessible to any person riding in the vehicle or common carrier.
g. A person while the person is lawfully engaged in target practice on a range designed for that
purpose or while actually engaged in lawful hunting.
h. A person who carries a knife used in hunting or fishing, while actually engaged in lawful hunting or
fishing.
i. A person who has in the person's possession and who displays to a peace officer on demand a valid
permit to carry weapons which has been issued to the person, and whose conduct is within the limits of
that permit. A person shall not be convicted of a violation of this section if the person produces at the
person's trial a permit to carry weapons which was valid at the time of the alleged offense and which
would have brought the person's conduct within this exception if the permit had been produced at the
time of the alleged offense.
j. A law enforcement officer from another state when the officer's duties require the officer to carry
the weapon and the officer is in this state for any of the following reasons:
(1) The extradition or other lawful removal of a prisoner from this state.
(2) Pursuit of a suspect in compliance with chapter 806.
(3) Activities in the capacity of a law enforcement officer with the knowledge and consent of the chief
of police of the city or the sheriff of the county in which the activities occur or of the commissioner of
public safety.
k. A person engaged in the business of transporting prisoners under a contract with the Iowa
department of corrections or a county sheriff, a similar agency from another state, or the federal
government.

tinman44
07-14-09, 20:22
Not addressing the fact that we are a "Might Issue" state.
Chapter 724 of the Iowa Code is the part that deals with weapons and carrying them.
It looks to me to not limit the carried weapon to a handgun or to the method of carrying to concealed.
I'm not gonna tempt it, but it looks to me that as long as I have my permit on me and am within the limitations of my permit, I could stroll down the street with my loaded rifle slung across my back, my loaded pistol on my hip, and my loaded shotgun laying across my arm.

Here is what it says-

Thank you that is interesting stuff. We all know what the law says and what you could get arrested/shot/beat/detained for are two different things entirely. It's not so much an officers job to know the law but just to keep the peace right?

JWNathan
07-14-09, 21:49
AFAIK in my state of Arizona open carry is not dependent on type of firearm. I know someone who rides his motorcycle to the range where he shoots and carries his carbine slung across his back. I don't like the idea, but hey.

However, when you do so without some real reason you may as well have a bright pink shirt on that says Attention Whore. And common sense would say that in this day and age you will probably be stopped by the police and are putting yourself in a dangerous situation.

And that whole march on Washington thing with firearms would be about as smart as playing catch with vials of nitroglycerin.

Hahaha, I used to do that all the time when I lived in Phoenix! I was going through tech school at the time (MMI) and Friday evenings a bunch of us would ride out and go shoot in the desert. I would sling up my Garand, through on a few bandoliers and jump on the Triumph! Good times, wouldnt dream of doing it now but at the time was always fun! Sorry for the thread hijack, just brought back some memories.
-Jesse

SteyrAUG
07-14-09, 23:39
I used to see it all the time as a kid in Iowa.

During hunting season you can bet you'd see a few hunters with slung rifles in a local sandwich shop around lunch time. There would also be cased rifles and shotguns leaning against the wall.

I can even recall my father telling me how he would walk downtown with a 03 Springfield slung because you could shoot cans so long as you walked out of town. Nobody called the cops, a few folks asked them if they was going hunting.

bkb0000
07-15-09, 00:43
I've been saving this one for a special occasion... seems like the perfect time.

Wanna carry around town? No problem- just gotta camo your stick, man.

Highly effective urban camo pattern I developed:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/104/l_755fcf61a38945019d0a7cbaa866b759.jpg

You could go walkin through the mall with this baby. ;)

tinman44
07-15-09, 01:20
great now if i ever do get an airsoft i'll be shot on site cuz this picture will get around the net so fast. this thread alone is probably drawling all kinds of wierd hits from all over.......oh and big brother is probably watching too waiting for someone to say bomb

chadbag
07-15-09, 02:00
If you do need to carry openly for some reason, using a modern rifle, remember the long lost art of Rhodesian carry. (Weak shoulder muzzle down). Your weapon is a lot less conspicuous from the front and less likely to cause attention and it is very easy to bring into action.

I am not advocating walking around your town with Rhodesian carry. Just if you do ever have the need to carry openly and you are not being belligerent, remember it as a carry form.

Zhurdan
07-15-09, 02:05
The few times my firearm has been spotted that I'm aware of were invited with "thanks" or "good to see a true american" or something of this sort. However I'm sure anti gun people have seen it and just walked the other way in preperation for it to jump out of my holster and shoot everyone in site while I hunkered down as well.
Sorry to tell you this.. but the first time your CONCEALED firearm was spotted, you FAILED!! Concealed carry is just that.... CONCEALED!! If you can't guarantee that it'll remain concealed while you carry it.. you need to rethink your carry method. Personally, I can reach up and buy the spices on the top rack at Wal-Mart and narry show my weapon. Rethink your concealment plan, please!!!

great now if i ever do get an airsoft i'll be shot on site cuz this picture will get around the net so fast. this thread alone is probably drawling all kinds of wierd hits from all over.......oh and big brother is probably watching too waiting for someone to say bomb

If you honestly think "big brother" is paying any attention to your posts, please put all your firearms in a firepit and burn them, NOW!!! You really aren't that special, nor are any of us here, no matter what we say. I'd bet that if you walked into a mall with an airsoft rifle on your back, you'd do as much damage as a psycho with a rifle would. Marching on a city, aka Washington, would require much more than a passing fancy on an internet forum if you were to do it with real guns. Wake up. We are well past the line when it comes to free speech. You want to organize a march with active firearms in your town... contact the local constable first. It will serve you far more well than a GLOBAL internet forum. Good luck my friend... that'll go over like a shit sandwich at a bingo parlor.

tinman44
07-15-09, 02:46
Sorry to tell you this.. but the first time your CONCEALED firearm war spotted, you FAILED!! Concealed carry is just that.... CONCEALED!! If you can't guarantee that it'll remain concealed while you carry it.. you need to rethink your carry method. Personally, I can reach up and buy the spices on the top rack at Wal-Mart and narry show my weapon. Rethink your concealment plan, please!!!

If you honestly think "big brother" is paying any attention to your posts, please put all your firearms in a firepit and burn them, NOW!!! You really aren't that special, nor are any of us here, no matter what we say. I'd bet that if you walked into a mall with an airsoft rifle on your back, you'd do as much damage as a psycho with a rifle would. Marching on a city, aka Washington, would require much more than a passing fancy on an internet forum if you were to do it with real guns. Wake up. We are well past the line when it comes to free speech. You want to organize a march with active firearms in your town... contact the local constable first. It will serve you far more well than a GLOBAL internet forum. Good luck my friend... that'll go over like a shit sandwich at a bingo parlor.

Thanks, I was hoping an armchair warrior would critique all my comments. I have a license to conceal which gives me the right to open carry in my state and I do both and I dont particularly care who cares. The big brother comment was in jest and apparently it upset you which is fine. I have no tin-foil hat, could you send me pics of yours. I was asking for opinions on open carry of a rifle, I'm not making plans for a march and wouldnt leave my community/family for something like that anyways. We also dont have constables here in America. Again theres no reason to accuse me of trying to rally an armed protest since I stated that was not the intent though it did come to mind during this discussion. Finally this isn't the "Serious Binnis" thread its general discussion so perhaps you should remove whatever you have putting you through enough torment to "Tell me" also appology accepted.

to the mods: after this guy replies can we lock this now useless thread?

Zhurdan
07-15-09, 03:24
Seriously? Yes... please do lock it. I have no cause to argue with someone who doesn't know the difference between open carry and concealed carry.

G'night. *PS. Did I accuse him of anything? Not to mention, concealed carry and open carry are two different things... just saying. Open carry is like going on a date with your Johnson hanging out, everyone knows what you're swinging... including the bad guys, and your date.*

CryingWolf
07-15-09, 09:21
I've been saving this one for a special occasion... seems like the perfect time.

Wanna carry around town? No problem- just gotta camo your stick, man.

Highly effective urban camo pattern I developed:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/104/l_755fcf61a38945019d0a7cbaa866b759.jpg

You could go walkin through the mall with this baby. ;)

Now that is a good one.