PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy first m4

IamHIM
07-14-09, 13:40
Hello all, I am looking to buy my first m4. I am extremely new to it all and have been trying to read up as much as possible for the last couple weeks, (a little bit overwhelming!) but I know research is always key. Please excuse me if I sound like a complete noob:( I am primarily going to be using the gun for weekend shooting (range, desert) and just having some fun. Anyways, before I found this website I was looking at picking up a Bushmaster m4a3, but after reading a bit here and looking at the price difference I decided to go with the S&W m&p15 a3. Then after reading some more, I am now looking at the Colt 6920. I mean yeah, the price is a tad higher but it seems as if it would be the better route to go, though I am not absolutely sure. If anyone would choose the mp15 over the colt, please let me know why. Otherwise, just saying Hello to everyone here on the forums! :D

Jim from Houston
07-14-09, 13:55
The Colt 6920 is excellent and if you look around right now, you should be able to find a pretty good price...a lot of places ordered tons of them because of anxiety over the election, and now many places just have boxes and boxes of them lying around....some folks have been finding 6920s for $1200 and such...at that price, there's no reason to even think about it...you won't be disappointed. At classes I've attended, when peoples' carbines start crapping out for a variety of reasons, it's the Colt 6920s that usually just keep chugging along happily.

Rosco P
07-14-09, 14:10
Colt won't do you wrong.

My shop has a couple at 1349... but there may be better prices out there.

If you do not plan on shooting much, you will be okay with just about any of the 2nd tier manufacturers as well.. JMO

j

diving dave
07-14-09, 14:15
You cant go wrong with a Colt, but having said that, my issued carbine at work is a Bushmaster. I've shot the hell out of it through several schools and has run just fine.
Lots of nice rifles on the market, and as others have pointed out, now is a good time to buy...At least before the libs in Washington open their mouths again.

CTBuilder1
07-14-09, 14:16
You have come to the realization that purchasing a 6920 is a good idea. I would find one at a good price and make it happen.

IamHIM
07-14-09, 20:48
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. :) A local gun store has brand new 6920s for $1250, is that pretty decent? Seems to be, from looking around other websites have them for like $1300-1500.

godsmack
07-14-09, 20:58
I have a smith M&P 15 M4 clone and can recommend the rifle. Having said that if money was not an object, I would get the colt over the smith.

DocHolliday01
07-14-09, 21:27
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. :) A local gun store has brand new 6920s for $1250, is that pretty decent? Seems to be, from looking around other websites have them for like $1300-1500.

That is a pretty fair price, especially if you can walk out with one.

d90king
07-15-09, 07:43
Colt 6920. Prices have dropped into the 1200 range...

ranger216
07-16-09, 01:09
You know if you keep on looking youll end up with a 2000+ AR if you dont watch it.:)

Dunderway
07-16-09, 01:23
The Daniel Defense XV is the best deal going IMO. It seems to offer everything that the Colt does and more, for less money. If these were available before I started building my BCM, I would have just bought one and been done with it.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=XV-M4

nickdrak
07-16-09, 02:19
Another vote for the ne Daniel Defense XV. Better bang for your buck, and it has the upgrade of a hammer forged barrel.

SWATcop556
07-16-09, 02:43
My next rifle was going to be a DDM4, but with the release of the DDXV I have switched.

I only own one Colt which is a 6920 which I purchased as I went into the academy. I love it but it will probably be the only Colt I own unless I decide to snag a 6933 at some point. Colt did win over a lot more people by going to a standard pin size of the .154 instead of their oversized pins.

The 6920 is the "Golden Standard" but others are really putting the heat on it and IMHO surpassed it in several ways.

You would be well served with a S&W as well but I would strongly consider the DD line of rifles.

RetreatHell
07-16-09, 23:52
IamHIM,

Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy the Colt, man! You will not regret buying an outstanding and quality-made AR-15 for your first one. Most people, including me, buy a Bushmaster, or something similar in low-quality, and wind up regretting it and having to buy lots of upgrades to "attempt" (I am REALLY emphasizing that word here) to bring it up to par with the top tier ARs out there. But one can only go so far when attempting to covert a low-quality AR into a high-quality (i.e. the barrel for one).

All of us who purchased that Bushmaster as our first ALL wind up regretting it, and we eventually end up laying down the coin for a high-quality AR (Colt, BCM, LMT, Noveske, etc...).

Spare no expense on your first AR (really every AR you buy;), even if it takes you a while to save up that extra $$$ to get the much nicer and higher quality brand! Just DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, and you'll never look back!

I now own an LMT, BCM and KAC SR-15, and I couldn't be happier with each and every one of them!

-Paul

uranus
07-17-09, 13:33
When you buy quality, you cry only once.

Actually, I am eager to buy a quality product. Get the best that you can afford. Don't let a few dollars sway you in deciding between different carbines. You will save a lot of money and aggravation.

If I were buying my first AR again, I would go with the Colt. There may be others that are just as good, but you will never regret owning the Colt.

My only Colt is a mint SP1 Carbine. It even has the barrel wick. I will never part with the Colt.

IamHIM
07-30-09, 19:25
Hey guys, sorry hadn't got a chance to reply, but thanks for all the help!
I spent a little bit more money and went with the Colt 6920. I've been doing as much research as I can, its unbelievable how long I spend on the computer :( I've been also looking to pick up a scope after recovering from this damage of purchasing my first AR :D I think will go with the Aimpoint, but I have yet to figure out which one. Anyways, glad I can hop on here when I need some advice. On another note, I came across a different forum and the people over there were telling another guy that the colt is a waste of money?!:confused::eek: and to just go with a Bushmaster or Rock River?? Can anyone just assure me that I made the right decision.:(

ThirdWatcher
07-30-09, 20:08
There are other makes out there, but Colt is the standard by which they are all judged.

Captains1911
07-30-09, 20:10
you could buy all the pieces needed for a complete BCM for around $1000, and it's just as good as Colt. You just have to deal with waiting a little while for the upper group, but right now BCM BCGs are in stock, and complete lowers are available as well.

ETA: I just read where you have already picked up a 6920. Don't listen to those other people, you made an excellent choice. The Colt haters have been very active over there lately. Colt is the standard by which all other mfrs are judged. Anybody who says Colt is overrated are either trolling, trying to justify their inferior rifle, or just plain don't know what they're talking about.

MR.J
07-30-09, 21:15
I wish i was as smart as you when i first got in ar's..(waaay back when);)You made VERY good choice with the Colt.It will serve you well.Also as a side note for your SECOND AR ;) BCM would be my choice.

ROADKING
07-30-09, 21:39
Nothing wrong with the S&W i have one and love it.

dmanflynn
07-30-09, 23:23
Nothing wrong with the S&W i have one and love it.

Your S&W is SOOO inferior to other top tier carbines such as Olympic, DPMS and DSC!!!! You and your fancy pantsy properly staked gas key will never cut against my bargain bin bullet beater! Mwuhahahahaha!!! :D

Kentucky Cop
07-30-09, 23:33
Colt 6940 is worth a look also!
KC:D

ThirdWatcher
07-31-09, 00:26
Colt 6940 is worth a look also!
KC:D

Yeah, I'll be looking at an LE6940 when the prices come down a little more (to keep my ArmaLites, Colts, & S&W company). :)

veeklog
07-31-09, 01:14
I own a Colt 6920 and love it; also own a LWRC M6A2 and finishing building a Noveske 18" SPR rifle. It is hard to pick a favorite with those three quality rifles in my safe.

For my next AR I will probably buy Daniel Defense. Just wanta little variety, I guess.

Rosco P
07-31-09, 10:20
You made a good choice. I wish I had for my first one as well... Got it all straight now though. 6920, 6940, and for shits and gigs, LMT MRP!!! Best one in the box...

Submariner
07-31-09, 12:14
All I own are Colts. If I were buying today, I'd get a BCM lower from one company and a complete BCM mid-length upper from another company, putting the money saved into PMAGs. Paul Buffoni's products are that good from what I have seen.

crusader4x
07-31-09, 17:15
The Daniel Defense XV is the best deal going IMO. It seems to offer everything that the Colt does and more, for less money. If these were available before I started building my BCM, I would have just bought one and been done with it.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=XV-M4

Unless I can come up with another $400 for a Noveske SOON, I'm going to go with either the Colt 6920 or DDXV.

Can someone just give me a basic rundown of what the DDXV has over the Colt and vice versa?

Here are few I know -

+ for DDXV - flared magwell, hammer forged barrel
+ Colt - ???

Medicine Calf
07-31-09, 20:11
Hey guys, sorry hadn't got a chance to reply, but thanks for all the help!
I spent a little bit more money and went with the Colt 6920. I've been doing as much research as I can, its unbelievable how long I spend on the computer :( I've been also looking to pick up a scope after recovering from this damage of purchasing my first AR :D I think will go with the Aimpoint, but I have yet to figure out which one. Anyways, glad I can hop on here when I need some advice. On another note, I came across a different forum and the people over there were telling another guy that the colt is a waste of money?!:confused::eek: and to just go with a Bushmaster or Rock River?? Can anyone just assure me that I made the right decision.:(

You bought the Colt? No need to second guess your purchase, as you can rest assured that you have bought the gold standard.

goodoleboy
08-01-09, 17:10
Hello all, I am looking to buy my first m4. I am extremely new to it all and have been trying to read up as much as possible for the last couple weeks, (a little bit overwhelming!) but I know research is always key. Please excuse me if I sound like a complete noob:( I am primarily going to be using the gun for weekend shooting (range, desert) and just having some fun. Anyways, before I found this website I was looking at picking up a Bushmaster m4a3, but after reading a bit here and looking at the price difference I decided to go with the S&W m&p15 a3. Then after reading some more, I am now looking at the Colt 6920. I mean yeah, the price is a tad higher but it seems as if it would be the better route to go, though I am not absolutely sure. If anyone would choose the mp15 over the colt, please let me know why. Otherwise, just saying Hello to everyone here on the forums! :D

You sound just like me 6 months ago. I finally bit the bullet and bought the Colt. Trust me, you won't go wrong with a Colt. You can find them all over the place for $1300-1400 range and they are worth the extra couple of hundred dollars. The S&W has most of the good pros that the Colt has, but the barrel steel is the S&W's Achilles heel. The Bushy has better barrel steel, but the bolt carrier group isn't up to snuff. The S&W has a good bolt carrier group, but the barrel is what swayed me in the way of the Colt. You won't go wrong with Mil-spec barrel steel.

My advice would be, bite the bullet and don't look back. This isn't to say that the only good AR is a Colt, but if your situation is similar to mine, you won't be able to find a Lewis Machine Tool, Noveske, Charles Daly, Daniel Defense, etc. Where I live, you have several choices: DPMS, Bushmaster, S&W, and Colt (sometimes an Armalite will slip through the cracks).

My advice is if you are tossed up between the Bushy, S&W, and Colt, buy the Colt if it is within your means. I fought the same battle you are fighting, and I am glad I paid a little more and bought the Colt (IMHO).

John_Wayne777
08-01-09, 17:30
Unless I can come up with another $400 for a Noveske SOON, I'm going to go with either the Colt 6920 or DDXV.

Can someone just give me a basic rundown of what the DDXV has over the Colt and vice versa?

Here are few I know -

+ Colt - ???

The Daniel Defense XV offers the quality and attention to functional detail that the Colt does, but with improvements like the ones you've already noted....and they cost a bit less money.

In my opinion the DD carbines are a no brainer. If they had been available when I bought my last Colt, I wouldn't have bought the Colt.

IamHIM
08-01-09, 23:04
Thanks for all the help guys, though I did go with the colt couple days ago and plan on shooting it tomorrow :D Pretty excited.

Had a quick question if anybody could help...
I purchased a Dosko sport hard rifle case and was wondering if anyone else had one because they say its for a "Single scoped rifle" and has pictures with actual sniper rifles in them not ar-15s. I put in my m4 and it closes but seems as if I have to put a tad bit of pressure on it in order for it to snap close, I'm just wondering if putting pressure on it would hurt the ar? Sorry such a noob, don't want to wreck my new $1350 gun haha.

ps. here is a link of the case (http://sgcusa.com/Cases/Bags-Long-Gun-Cases/c6_36/p490/Dosko-Sport-SE-Single-Scoped-Rifle-Case/product_info.html)

armoredsaint
08-02-09, 10:49
I picked one up last week for $1099 for a NIB Colt 6920, my first Pony - it was a great deal that I just couldn't pass up! :D

Dunderway
08-02-09, 11:23

Here are few I know -

+ Colt - ???

+ The DDXV comes with a nice BUIS so it's optics ready. When you decide to add an optic to the Colt you will need to purchase a BUIS, and let an expensive carry handle go unused.

+ The DDXV comes with a Magpul trigger guard. It's a smalle detail, but I would add one to any carbine. You also get a P-Mag.

- The DDXV doesn't have a front sling mount. I would buy a Colt side sling mount ($30), which installs in minutes.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

motoman
08-04-09, 17:18
colt is a good choice but lmt, noveske, bravo are good also

SiGfever
08-04-09, 22:17
For the money and features this is tough to beat.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Daniel_Defense_XV_M4_Carbine_7.0_Omega.html

Stryker
08-04-09, 23:53
I am also fairly new to the M4....What I found very helpful was the DVD from Magpul....The art of the Tactical Carbine. There is so much this weapon is capable of, and as a result of the DVD, I am going into tactical classes.

From what I know, the 6920 is a great choice. I bought a 6940 as at the time, the 6920 was back ordered. A bit more expensive, but really not that different.