PDA

View Full Version : Should I liquidate my only AR & 5.56 stuff.

combatvet
01-24-07, 20:37
I only have one AR and was thinking about buying a SOCOM II with the proceeds.

This would mean selling off 1.8k of 5.56 ammo(M193, Q3131A, RG), 50- 30 rd mags w/ Magpul followers, and an M93b Bushmaster M4A3 w/ YHM gen II FF, YHM screw on front sight, YHM Phantom, Magpul full MIAD.

I prefer to go with a harder hitting, larger caliber Home Defense rifle.

What are the pro's & con's and what do you think I could expect to get for the above mentioned items.

Thanks

TOrrock
01-24-07, 21:08
Quality surplus 7.62 NATO has become very hard to find at anything resembling a reasonable price.

Having said that, it's one of my favorite calibers. :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Smith%20M14/Orrock5.jpg

I don't know if I'd give up the AR for the M1A, I'd certainly try to save up and just buy the M1A outright.

If you do get one, definitely change out the stock extractor for a USGI one, the Springfield commercial extractors have a habit of taking leave of the bolt.

-H-
01-24-07, 21:10
After reading your post all I can bring myself to say is this:

I get first dibs on your ammo if you sell it. :)

Mike91A
01-24-07, 21:30
Another way to go would be to get a Alexander arms or Sabre Defense upper in 6.5 Grendal. Look around the net for info on this caliber and its ballistics. The hype says it has a great bullet coefficient . 14.5 , 16 ,18 ,19.5 ,and 20 on up in inches are available . The 14.5 and 16 inch barreled uppers are available chrome lined. C-Products make the mags. Wolf has brass case ammo. Alexander has brass for loading and assembled ammo. I will be getting into this cal. this spring. Mike

SuicideHz
01-24-07, 21:40
Templar- I still LOVE that rifle and hate you for owning it- not that I could afford it.

Why don't you tell everyone what it really is? :D

Mike91A
01-24-07, 21:40
deleted

VA_Dinger
01-24-07, 21:41
After reading your post all I can bring myself to say is this:

I get first dibs on your ammo if you sell it. :)

:D

I was thinkng the same thing.

Note to self: Move quicker next time.

Chris_C
01-24-07, 21:51
Share the m4c.net love....We all need some of that 1.8k rounds.:p

(I get 1st dibs on the mags!!)

Obiwan
01-24-07, 22:07
If you give it all to me........

There will be no money..........

But on your deathbed.....

You will achieve....total consciousness:D

Ok...hang onto all of it...you will be sorry if you don't

Dang

tikkafan
01-24-07, 22:48
Have you considered the ramifications of shooting .308 indoors? I think you'd have to go with something like 115 gr TAP to avoid overpenetration. Even then you'd have to watch your sectors of fire. Frangible would be the best choice, but is hard to come by.

In over 200 years nobody has come up with a better home defense weapon than the shotgun.

I say keep the AR, buy a $200 mossberg and the SOCOM II. If you can't afford all three, consider budget cuts. :D

-H-
01-24-07, 22:54
:D

I was thinkng the same thing.

Note to self: Move quicker next time.

And to that I reply.

I am dead serious. I want that freaking ammo. I will pay cash!:D

combatvet
01-25-07, 00:47
What's a fair price to ask for the rifle, mags, and ammo? Bushy is in 95+% condition.

rob_s
01-25-07, 03:38
What's a fair price to ask for the rifle, mags, and ammo? Bushy is in 95+% condition.
Whenever I sell firearms and accessories online I find actual street price (not MSRP) via sites like gunsamerica and the EE on TOS and start my sale at 75% of that, assuming near perfect condition. And be honest with yourself regarding condition or you'll never be honest with the buyer.

For example, a brand new Cproducts (http://64.68.152.84/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=cp&Product_Code=175&Category_Code=30rnd) 30 round aluminum magazine with Magpul gen II follower sells for $10.60, with 75% of that being $7.95. If yours are truly in magnificent condition and have gen II magpuls and not gen I, I'd ask $8 shipped with a discount for larger quantities. (maybe $7/ea if somebody takes all 50). Reduce price accordingly for wear and older equipment.

Do the same with the rest of your gear, adjusting for wear and age. For example, an ARMS SIR (which I know you don't have), while very cutting edge several years ago is viewed as a bit of an albatross today, and a potential seller would have to take a pretty big hit on it if he bought it brand new during the height of it's popularity and was trying to ditch it today. To some degree, the same thing applies to the M93b. With everyone waiting with baited breath for the new Magpul replacement, the market for the heavy and clunky M93b is pretty soft right now.

DON'T assume that because you assembled all the parts onto your rifle that the whole is worth greater than the sum of it's parts. Just like selling used cars, you eat crap on the labor you put into it. Chalk it up as the price of education.

In short, just remember that guys are shopping on the internet because they want a deal. I've bought and sold quite a few guns via the web over the last couple of years, and if I wanted high prices I'd buy at my local gunshop. Most of your internet buyers are either newbies on very limited budgets or very experienced/savy shoppers looking for a deal and/or to take advantage of someone else's misery.:D

mark5pt56
01-25-07, 06:19
I would keep it myself and save for the .308

If you make your mind up to sell it, I would start looking to trade stuff. With patience, you may be suprised how successful you will be.

I have found through time that trading is generally better, provided you end up with what you want.

Although to much time for you, years ago, I wanted an HK P7 from a buddy, wouldn't do it. Later, he traded it to someone who had a HK .45, which he wanted. I run into him and he's over the .45, wants my Sig228, we trade and unknownst to me, he traded the P7 to a buddy who worked part time at London Bridge Trading. I'm in there one day talking guns and we find out that I have his old gun that he wants back and guess want he has? the P7.

I made out because I got that 228 for less than 400 like new from someone who wanted the then LE price for a Glock 23--for which I had.

Put the word out and put it out again, talk with folks. Sometimes you can work out a multi angled deal.--if you're good

Submariner
01-25-07, 11:38
I would keep it myself and save for the .308

If you make your mind up to sell it, I would start looking to trade stuff. With patience, you may be suprised how successful you will be.

I have found through time that trading is generally better, provided you end up with what you want.
Put the word out and put it out again, talk with folks. Sometimes you can work out a multi angled deal.--if you're good

Keeping it and saving for the rifle is a good consideration. Frankly, I would keep the ammo to bundle with the gun. If ammo problems get worse, guns will get cheap (SOCOM's, included) but selling with 1.8K of ammo might move the gun. Perhaps you consider focusing on building a supply of 7.62X51 ammunition while it may be obtained. YMMV.