PDA

View Full Version : Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine

VA_Dinger
01-24-07, 21:25
Any of you guys own a Beretta CX4 Storm carbine?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/pix511199424.jpg

I shot an USPSA match at Blackwater last weekend. One of the guys used his for the carbine side match. After the stage was over he let me shoot a mag through it. I thought it was a damn fun little gun. It was also very accurate for what is. At 75 yards I was 15/15 on one of the little Blackwater swingers. That’s not bad considering the owner told me he had never even sighted it in.

I would love to have one.

TOrrock
01-24-07, 21:32
They are great little pistol caliber carbines, with reliable 15, 17, and 20 rd. mags available in 9mm.

So, if'n you want it, what's stopping you? :D

VA_Dinger
01-24-07, 21:37
So, if'n you want it, what's stopping you? :D

Hint: $$$ = New 1911A1.

When that's paid off (Plus the wife cool off period ends - I'm on thin ice as we speak) all bets are off. I thought it was a perfect "fun" gun.

:D

kbi
01-24-07, 22:50
Cmon Dinger you know you want one.

They are neat carbine's. I had the one below for a few years and when I would go to clarks bro's we would set targets up at the 100yd line and the thing with the aimpoint would actually reach out and hit every time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/kbi/DSC00397.jpg

I ended up giving it to my neighbor(Korean war vet) as a present for installing a central A/C (I didnt even know he was doing it) unit this past summer.

rob_s
01-25-07, 04:03
We have at least two shooters that come out to our matches that run them, and both do quite well with them. We are limited to about 100 yards at our matches, but the Storms perform more than adequately at those distances.

I do believe that it's more about the indian than the arrow, but it is nice to know that the arrow isn't hindering some very competent indians.;)

We also have a club locally that does steel matches, and you are limited to pistol-caliber carbines to shoot these matches (obviously any pistol is OK). I think they would work quite well for this as well.

Personally, I think I'd still prefer a 9mm AR, but the storm is a much more cost-efficient option, and if I was a cop that was issued a Beretta 92/96 I think I'd look real hard at the Storm.

Hawkeye
01-25-07, 08:21
My wife has been shopping for one for about 3 months now. Dealer is having a hard time finding a 9mm one that takes 92 mags.

rhino
01-25-07, 10:00
A couple of years ago got a 9mm 1911 so I could shoot cheap, 9mm factory ammo. Factory 9mm isn't nearly as cheap anymore, but it's still a lot less than .45 and 5.56/.223 right now, so I have the urge to get a 9mm carbine to shoot 3-matches. My local club has 25x25 yard bays, so it would be fine for that purpose.

Like everyone else, a 9mm AR would be the first choice, but since the idea is economy, the Beretta is looking pretty good. Actually the Kel-Tec is looking good, but it would be difficult to mount a red dot. So I'm skulking around looking for a used (but functional) CX4 in 9mm . . .

Glockster35
01-25-07, 10:23
I have been considering a purchase of a Storm too.

We will just have to see what happens!

buddyhoohaw
01-25-07, 10:31
I bought one when they first came to market in 9mm and it accepted the 92 mags. It functioned well with 15 rd. mags, however the 20's did not function well in mine. If I remeber correctly the 20's tended to over-insert due to the extra length.

After buying all the rails and mags, I think I had close to $800.00 into the carbine. I sold it and bought a Colt 6450 for a couple hundred dollars more and could not be happier :D

YMMV

FM18
01-25-07, 19:09
I have had mine for about two years. Flawless with Beretta and Mecgar 15 & 20 round mags. It is my fun gun and is dead on within 75 yards. Have not really shot past that. Very handy size and is actually an inch or two shorter than an AR carbine with the stock collapsed. I have been quite impressed with mine so far. Probably have close to 1500 + rounds through it so far. I can shoot this little space gun all day long:D

DrMark
01-25-07, 20:02
I've shot one.

I'm not sure the ergonomics are my cup of tea, but yeah it's still fun.

Something confuses me: Did they used to take 92 mags, but newer ones don't? If so, what do they take?

Hawkeye
01-26-07, 07:49
I've shot one.

I'm not sure the ergonomics are my cup of tea, but yeah it's still fun.

Something confuses me: Did they used to take 92 mags, but newer ones don't? If so, what do they take?

They make the 9mm in a version for 92 mags and one for PX4 mags.

DrMark
01-26-07, 10:24

Gothcha... and that's good to know.

Thanks.

Bulldog1967
01-28-07, 20:01
I sold mine to an Arfcommer about a year ago and have regretted it ever since. :(

Phil Hirsh
03-19-08, 16:56
I have to say that the Storm is the best pistol cal. carbine of them all. It's priced right, accessories out the wazoo, accurate. I've had an HK USC that was supposed to be all the rage but the trigger would stick after each shot. I've had A Vector Uzi that did nothing but jam. The Storm was sweet from the first shot right up until this afternoon. No jams in about a thousand rounds. I did lose an ejector when I cleaned it once. I don't know what I did with it. I called Berretta and 14 dollars later I was back in action. The weapon has a good company behind it, unlike the HK where the factory sent my rifle back saying that the trigger was normal. :D

Tspeis
03-20-08, 20:00
Very fun little gun. A buddy of mine has one in 9mm. I plan on adding one to the collection as soon as funds will allow.

Tspeis

nalesq
03-21-08, 13:07
I have put several thousand rounds of a wide variety of ammo through my 9mm Beretta carbine without a single malfunction. It is a great little weapon, also being very compact and lightweight.

FYI, there is an inexpensive and easily installed magazine adapter manufactured by Beretta which allows one to use any of Beretta's 9mm pistol magazines (e.g., 92 series, Cougar, PX4).

G19dude
02-27-11, 18:43
I am going to post a link to an article about William And Mary college choosing them as there campus police carbine.

I have no evidence so this is my subjective opinion but I would think a pistol caliber was the criteria for collateral damage issues.

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/press-releases/1716125-The-College-of-William-and-Mary-Police-Choose-the-Beretta-Cx4-Storm-Carbine-Patrol-Rifle/

Find ManBearPig!
02-27-11, 19:12
I am going to post a link to an article about William And Mary college choosing them as there campus police carbine.

I have no evidence so this is my subjective opinion but I would think a pistol caliber was the criteria for collateral damage issues.

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/press-releases/1716125-The-College-of-William-and-Mary-Police-Choose-the-Beretta-Cx4-Storm-Carbine-Patrol-Rifle/

I shot one in 9 and it kicked more than a USC in .45. Must be the weight or the mechanism or something.

Anyhow, the gun is a ton of fun to shoot, and if you all ready own a Berreta handgun, your set for mags. I'm sure this would be great in competition shooting where you want ease of transfer from pistol to rifle or vice-versa.

If I could legally own one and had the extra cash to get it, and couldn't find a USC, I'd get one.

bp7178
02-27-11, 19:21
My department issues them. There aren't too many people that I speak to who like them. We also use 92Ds, so you have one nice feature in which you can use your duty mags in them. I would rather have an AR15 with 30 than a Storm with 60.

They are issued with Eotechs (another conversation) and Streamlight TLR-1s. No sling. The last is everyone's biggest gripe, next to caliber, and is being worked on.

IMO, its hard to take a gun seriously in which all the fire control parts are plastic, including the hammer. Worst trigger feel ever.

The only thing it brings to a fight, in my case, is the mounted flashlight and RDS.

VT RAIDER
02-27-11, 19:26
I purchased a new CX4 Storm in 2005 (takes 92 mags) paid less than $550, today's prices are outrageous... It is a great shooter and every time I take it to the range everyone wants to know more about it... If you can find one at a great deal I don't think you will be disappointed... I do wish they made 30 rounders for it...

Find ManBearPig!
02-27-11, 20:41
My department issues them. There aren't too many people that I speak to who like them. We also use 92Ds, so you have one nice feature in which you can use your duty mags in them. I would rather have an AR15 with 30 than a Storm with 60.

They are issued with Eotechs (another conversation) and Streamlight TLR-1s. No sling. The last is everyone's biggest gripe, next to caliber, and is being worked on.

IMO, its hard to take a gun seriously in which all the fire control parts are plastic, including the hammer. Worst trigger feel ever.

The only thing it brings to a fight, in my case, is the mounted flashlight and RDS.

I have to agree, I wouldn't want a CX4 to be my duty weapon if I could have a AR. Also, I wouldn't want a Streamlight on my duty weopon... bleh. :bad:

However, most reports point at them being quite reliable. I'm not sure if this true or not, I don't own one or know anyone who owns one. Perhaps you could lend some insight on that. If there is one thing Glocks have taught us about firearms, it's that they can be plasticy and still work very well. As long as it's reliable and accurate (Which with my short time on it has shown me, it seems to be) a gunsmith can fix up the trigger. As I'm sure you know, some departments just don't have the dough to pay for the increased cost of AR's, AR mags, and 5.56 over something they can use their pre-existing stuff with.

Of course, even then, when I need to grab a gun, I'd still want a AR.

bp7178
02-27-11, 23:21
Its a 9mm carbine with a chrome lined barrel, so accuracy is typical of that platform. It isn't earth shattering, but solid.

Durability hasn't been bad. I have more issues with the lack of maint, periodic cleaning, optic verification etc. These things get banged in and out of gun racks every day, and I can't remember the last time someone verified that the Eotech is still zeroed.

The lower on a Glock is plastic, but many of the internal parts are steel or some alloy of. That being said, I have different expectations of a pistol than a carbine.

I don't like the TLR-1 due to its short throw. For the size, the X300 is much better in this regard. The TLR-1 is great to fill a room with light. Long hallways/commercial buildings, they suck.

I have a feeling they were selected due to cost and a shorter training curve.

lloydkristmas
02-27-11, 23:37
Its a 9mm carbine with a chrome lined barrel, so accuracy is typical of that platform. It isn't earth shattering, but solid.

Durability hasn't been bad. I have more issues with the lack of maint, periodic cleaning, optic verification etc. These things get banged in and out of gun racks every day, and I can't remember the last time someone verified that the Eotech is still zeroed.

The lower on a Glock is plastic, but many of the internal parts are steel or some alloy of. That being said, I have different expectations of a pistol than a carbine.

I don't like the TLR-1 due to its short throw. For the size, the X300 is much better in this regard. The TLR-1 is great to fill a room with light. Long hallways/commercial buildings, they suck.

I have a feeling they were selected due to cost and a shorter training curve.

As for plastic parts in critical internal areas, this isnt all that abnormal these days. The FN P90/PS90, the AUG series, and the FS2000/F2000 all have polymer parts inside their hammer packs, and they seem to be working fine. Especially the AUG, which remains a viable assault weapon even after almost 40 years.

As for the Storm, I've never owned one, but I've kicked around the idea of picking one up. It seems like it would be a fun, cheap plinker that could also double as a serious weapon if need be.

I've heard, however, that some of them have issues digesting certain brands of 9mm ammo (cheaper brass stuff like Monarch, some Blazer, and Blazer's aluminum offering)

With a low mounted Aimpoint (or hell, even a clone) and a decent flashlight mounted on the retractable under-barrel rail, it could make a decent plinker, varmint shooter, or even budget HD gun.

bp7178
02-28-11, 00:05
Our ammo is Winchester Ranger 147gr 9mm, so I can't comment on any of those issues. All magazines are factory Beretta.

For range practice, we use a Winchester BEB round, which is suppose to reduse lead exposure...training is so minimal these days I don't see how its an issue anyway.

This day and age, I see more issues realated to poor magazines than anything else.

There is a large amount of slop in the trigger and it feels, in regards to pull, like crap. But given its use, this isn't that much of an issue. Our department range only goes to 50 yards, and from an unsupported off hand posistion, I have no problem placing headshots on a steel target at that range.

I would like to see the flashlights mounted on the left side so you could activate it with your thumb. I have to reach pretty far under the handguard to activate it with my finger.

I would be more than happy to buy my own rifle out of pocket and use it. This is more of a policy issue these days than anything else. I've heard we are kicking around the idea of allowing personally owned AR15 pattern carbines. Some dickhead always chimes up and wants to carry a mini-14 or a M1.

I would like to see a lever type safety on it too. We tried at one point training people to use the safety more, but its not very practical with a push button design.

IMO, its a plinker gun. If you want a carbine, buy a AR-15.

lloydkristmas
02-28-11, 00:26
Our ammo is Winchester Ranger 147gr 9mm, so I can't comment on any of those issues. All magazines are factory Beretta.

For range practice, we use a Winchester BEB round, which is suppose to reduse lead exposure...training is so minimal these days I don't see how its an issue anyway.

This day and age, I see more issues realated to poor magazines than anything else.

There is a large amount of slop in the trigger and it feels, in regards to pull, like crap. But given its use, this isn't that much of an issue. Our department range only goes to 50 yards, and from an unsupported off hand posistion, I have no problem placing headshots on a steel target at that range.

I would like to see the flashlights mounted on the left side so you could activate it with your thumb. I have to reach pretty far under the handguard to activate it with my finger.

I would be more than happy to buy my own rifle out of pocket and use it. This is more of a policy issue these days than anything else. I've heard we are kicking around the idea of allowing personally owned AR15 pattern carbines. Some dickhead always chimes up and wants to carry a mini-14 or a M1.

I would like to see a lever type safety on it too. We tried at one point training people to use the safety more, but its not very practical with a push button design.

IMO, its a plinker gun. If you want a carbine, buy a AR-15.

I was thinking using a pressure switch to actuate a light mounted on the underbarrel rail, but side mount would work too.

One thing to note too, and I know that its happened to more people than just myself, but the rubberized cheekpad has a tendency to yank the hell out of your whiskers while shooting/shouldering. I guess they get caught in the gap between the body and the cheekpad. Everyone who shot the carbine that day got "bitten"

Outrider
02-28-11, 14:45
I briefly owned one back when they first came out because my local range didn't allow long guns in rifle calibers. At the time, it cost under $500 new. The current prices are ridiculous but could be due to the dollar's drop against the Euro. It is OK to shoot and I do like that the charging handle and mag release can be reversed. Still, it kind of felt like a pistol with a stock and the recoil impulse was odd to me. It's been a few years since I have shot one but it did not feel right. I sold it as soon as I switched to a range that allowed long guns in rifle calibers.

One of my friends who was with Clark County School District Police Department (NV) got a chance to shoot one a few years ago. Back then his department was issuing Beretta pistols so mag compatibility was the key selling point. He told me that he and the other officers felt it was accurate but sort of pointless. They felt the CX4 was more of a range plinker than something for law enforcement.

NoBody
02-28-11, 15:05
Fun little carbine. I just don't care for the feel of the trigger pull. Feel cheap and plastically. Hmmm....well, I guess it is. :D

Condition Write
02-28-11, 17:50

The only differences are the mag catch and a swappable sleeve in the magazine well. Any Cx4 in 9mm can be set up for Px4, 92, or 8000 magazines. Likewise, a .40 model can be set up for Px4, 96, or 8040 mags. It looks like Beretta's MSRP is $41 for the two parts (http://www.berettausa.com/shop-by-department/gun-accessories/rifles-and-carbines/accessories-for-cx4-storm/).

Fun little carbine. I just don't care for the feel of the trigger pull. Feel cheap and plastically. Hmmm....well, I guess it is. :D

The factory trigger is almost bullpup quality. The Sierra Papa upgrade makes a world of difference.

I dig on mine and probably don't shoot it as much as it deserves. It's a Px4-compatible 9mm with a beater EOTech 511. With only 650 rounds through it, I can't really give a serious reliability report, though the only failure so far (emphasis in expectation of an ironic catastrophic malfunction the next time I shoot it) has been a squib from someone else's underpowered handloads.

LDM
03-17-11, 11:36
I am looking at the CX4 with a very particular situation and would appreciate feedback from folks that have shot this weapon.
I am looking at this for my wife. She's not even 100 pounds and to greatly complicate things she tore her rotator cuff, the surgery failed, and she had to have shoulder replacement surgery. She can barely raise her arm to parallel with the ground, and is not supposed to lift over ten pounds. So she is practically restricted with a pistol to axis relock position with elbows locked at her side. I have her a Smith 642 with Crimson Trace laser, and that is probably as good as I can do for her pistol-wise.
My thought on the CX4 is I can mount a laser and she can tuck it to her side. No way she will be able to shoulder this or any other weapon. She cannot raise it that high and we're not even going to discuss the consequences of recoil. Far from ideal, but options limited.
How is recoil, and more particularly how would it be in a tucked under the arm and against the side position?
I would think fairly mild given the weight, but would appreciate feedback.
Or for that matter, a better alternative given this situation.
Thanks.

post script- She is right handed and the problem shoulder is her right.

NCPatrolAR
03-17-11, 15:17
How about having her shoot the CX4 on her left shoulder? Throw one of the longer VFGs on their for her right hand and seems like she would be better off than firing the gun from that underarm position.

LDM
03-17-11, 16:16
How about having her shoot the CX4 on her left shoulder? Throw one of the longer VFGs on their for her right hand and seems like she would be better off than firing the gun from that underarm position.

Thanks for the thought, neighbor. Know you're just down the road from me.
That might work if she tucks and rests that right elbow into her waist. I have an M4 clone with a VFG that I will let her try for technique. But shouldering to the left may still require her to work the right arm more than she can handle. From arm at side hanging, raising arm 45 degrees to front is about where her strength subsides, and raising to 90 degrees parallel to the ground is her weakest point. Her strength is with arm at or about waist/chest level.
She might could shoulder from right from a lowered position. Right hand on grip, her left could actually lift the weight of the right arm with the weapon, pivoting the weapon up. But then you're placing recoil on the weak shoulder. Even a pistol caliber carbine might be more than she could handle in recoil on that shoulder. It's a helluva mess.
That is why I focused on something held at waist or tucked under the arm, low recoil, and using a laser for targeting. At least this give a stable base and relatively secure weapon retention position. Poor option, but that may be what's left within her capabilities.
Thanks.

Ron3
02-09-15, 15:16
Necro-thread!

Just wanted to post that I've been very happy with my (Unofficial 2nd Gen) Beretta CX-4 Storm 9mm carbine.

Just some notes:

It eats everything I feed. I can't talk accuracy beyond about 50 yards because I haven't had it out any further.

I added a sling, a light, Beretta-made 30 round mags, and a RDS with co-witness. I moved the charging handle to the left side and magazine release to the right side. I removed the stock spacer to shorten it up. All of it was very easy to do.

-The trigger isn't great but it's not bad. Think of a Gen 4 Glock trigger. A little slack, mushy 6-8 lb pull, short reset.

-Run it like a pistol that has a LH charging handle attached to the slide and a giant bolt release in typical pistol location and you'll quickly pick up how to use it.

-The crossbolt safety isn't perfect, but it's not bad at all unless you work your safety a lot when you shoot. Pretend your Glock had a safety button. You don't have to use it.

-Recoil is light with typical 9mm ammo. Lighter recoil than a 9mm AR. Throw in some +p+ ammo though and recoil feels a bit violent and hard on the gun. But it will run it fine.

-It's range friendly. Rifle range, pistol range and steel-target friendly it increases training opportunities.

-Easy one-handed maneuvering. Important for use around the home or vehicle. Very light, too.

-It's about 5 inches shorter than a 16 in AR with A2 flash hider and an M4 stock all the way in. It's pretty short and very handy!

Safe to keep condition one it's a fantastic HD rifle.

Bret
02-12-15, 13:01
Botach has them for $580 shipped which includes 5 17rd PX4 magazines.
http://www.botach.com/beretta-cx4-storm-9mm-patrol-carbine-w-five-17rd-px4-magazines/
I just ordered one. The plan is to sell the new PX4 magazines and get the magazine adapter to use 92-series magazines.

Ron3
02-12-15, 15:31
Botach has them for $580 shipped which includes 5 17rd PX4 magazines.
http://www.botach.com/beretta-cx4-storm-9mm-patrol-carbine-w-five-17rd-px4-magazines/
I just ordered one. The plan is to sell the new PX4 magazines and get the magazine adapter to use 92-series magazines.

That's where I got mine. No problems. Mine takes the 92 mags. (It was advertised as such)