PDA

View Full Version : Install DD rail system?

diving dave
07-15-09, 21:05
Can anyone recommend a place where I can send my upper (Colt 6920) and have a 12in. Daniel Defense rail installed? If I provide the rail?Not much of a gunsmith and I dont want to mess around taking the front sight off..any advice?

GIFFMANN
07-15-09, 21:12
Can anyone recommend a place where I can send my upper (Colt 6920) and have a 12in. Daniel Defense rail installed? If I provide the rail?Not much of a gunsmith and I dont want to mess around taking the front sight off..any advice?

I could do it as could Grant at G&R or Steve at ADCO.

nickdrak
07-15-09, 21:25

Where are you located. We may be able to recommend someone local to you, or one of the armorers on the board may be willing to help you out as well.

diving dave
07-15-09, 21:27
The left coast...peoples republic. the state with no money an too many liberals..Can you guess?:D

Looey
07-15-09, 21:29
I would sent it to Robb Jensen, he has done all of my M4 work. plus he has build a couple of guns for me and they are always right on.

diving dave
07-15-09, 21:39
Ok cool. I just ordered the rifle from Grant today, which was a story itself..:eek: In a nutshell, I wanted a Daniel Defense M4, liked the rail system and stock. Got the order in, faxed FFl, got my letter signed by my Chief of Police..only to find out at the last minute the DD isnt approved for duty..crap.If I cant use it for duty, I cant buy it...Love those Cali laws, A citizen in nearby states have more rights than I do as a cop. Colts are good to go, so I ordered a 6920. Want to keep the fixed front sight, but use a 12 in rail.

TOMTOM
07-15-09, 22:12
where at in CA? if you're in socal, send it to Addax. hes in chatsworth, and his CS is awesome.

ranger216
07-16-09, 01:05

E-mail sent

Robb Jensen
07-16-09, 05:55
Ok cool. I just ordered the rifle from Grant today, which was a story itself..:eek: In a nutshell, I wanted a Daniel Defense M4, liked the rail system and stock. Got the order in, faxed FFl, got my letter signed by my Chief of Police..only to find out at the last minute the DD isnt approved for duty..crap.If I cant use it for duty, I cant buy it...Love those Cali laws, A citizen in nearby states have more rights than I do as a cop. Colts are good to go, so I ordered a 6920. Want to keep the fixed front sight, but use a 12 in rail.

Dave,

I'd would highly recommend the Daniel Defense RIS II FSP (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=134). This will allow the FSB to stick up out of the top rail and give you some rail in front of the FSB so that you can mount a light in front of it. If it's good enough for USSOCOM it should be good enough for a Police Dept. I know some Depts do some real non-sense stuff but have the Chief call DD and educate himself with their status.

Later,
Robb

RAM Engineer
07-16-09, 07:19
Robb,

Any reason you would recommend the RIS II FSP over the Lite Rail FSP?

Robb Jensen
07-16-09, 07:24
Robb,

Any reason you would recommend the RIS II FSP over the Lite Rail FSP?

A little stronger and has the anti-rotational tabs on the upper part of it for those people that think they can spin it lose. I mainly recommended the RIS II to him because it's used/approved by USSOCOM and DD is the sole source for it.

tylerw02
07-16-09, 11:24
A little stronger and has the anti-rotational tabs on the upper part of it for those people that think they can spin it lose. I mainly recommended the RIS II to him because it's used/approved by USSOCOM and DD is the sole source for it.

Is one likely to spin lose the Lite Rail 12.0 FSP? Does it have a record of not being strong enough? I'm in the process of deciding exactly which rail I want for my carbine.

I may run a VFG, but most likely won't. I too want to run my Surefire in front of the front sight and maintain a fixed front sight base. I don't want to pay the extra $50 and gain extra weight if it isn't necessary, but above all, reliability is more important to me than a couple ounces and a couple dollars.

Does the RIS II use a special wrench like the the DD M4 or DD Lite series rail systems?

Robb Jensen
07-16-09, 13:33
Is one likely to spin lose the Lite Rail 12.0 FSP? Does it have a record of not being strong enough? I'm in the process of deciding exactly which rail I want for my carbine.

I may run a VFG, but most likely won't. I too want to run my Surefire in front of the front sight and maintain a fixed front sight base. I don't want to pay the extra $50 and gain extra weight if it isn't necessary, but above all, reliability is more important to me than a couple ounces and a couple dollars.

Does the RIS II use a special wrench like the the DD M4 or DD Lite series rail systems?

The RIS II is stronger meaning like run it over with a car stronger, slightly heavier but stronger and has the anti-rotational tabs for the people who sleep better at night thinking they can twist a Lite Rail lose.

The RIS II, Omega X and the Lite Rail series all use the same DD Lite Rail wrench.

tylerw02
07-16-09, 13:34
The RIS II is stronger meaning like run it over with a car stronger, slightly heavier but stronger and has the anti-rotational tabs for the people who sleep better at night thinking they can twist a Lite Rail lose.

The RIS II, Omega X and the Lite Rail series all use the same DD Lite Rail wrench.

Thanks for the info. Is it common for Lite Rails to actually twist loose?

00leland00
07-16-09, 14:29
Thanks for the info. Is it common for Lite Rails to actually twist loose?

Nope. Won't happen.

ETA: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33134

adh
07-16-09, 18:51
back to the original question, I'd send it to Robb Jensen at Virginia Arms Co. and have him install it. He installed my DD 9.5 FSP lite rail and did a hell of a nice job with a quick turn around. If I get off my lazy rear I will post pics for you.

shadco
07-16-09, 21:48
back to the original question, I'd send it to Robb Jensen at Virginia Arms Co. and have him install it. He installed my DD 9.5 FSP lite rail and did a hell of a nice job with a quick turn around. If I get off my lazy rear I will post pics for you.

+1 on Robb Jensen, he did my ddm4 middy and my rra.

One of the great resources on this forum.

There are others too.

tylerw02
07-17-09, 11:12
Nope. Won't happen.

ETA: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33134

Thanks. That is what I was thinking, so I didn't see the reason for the extra cash.

lindertw
07-17-09, 11:21
Another vote for Robb Jensen, he does awesome work. You'll like the RIS II FSP on your 6920 (if it gets approved)...

http://tinyurl.com/5p9u79

tylerw02
07-17-09, 12:28
Another vote for Robb Jensen, he does awesome work. You'll like the RIS II FSP on your 6920 (if it gets approved)...

http://tinyurl.com/5p9u79

Beautiful carbine you have there. You're tempting me to beef up my stock 6920.

bigb4015
07-17-09, 12:54
Why wouldent the dd m4 be approved for duty?

MFWIC2
04-18-12, 16:33
I live in central FL and want to find a local gunsmith that us good to install a DD 9.5" FSP Lite rail on my 10.3" upper.
Does anyone recommend anybody.
I emailed Grant and he disentangle have the time.

crcjk
04-18-12, 16:44
I live in central FL and want to find a local gunsmith that us good to install a DD 9.5" FSP Lite rail on my 10.3" upper.
Does anyone recommend anybody.
I emailed Grant and he disentangle have the time.

I haven't lived there in a while, but Shoot straight in Apopka used to do work for me

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

MFWIC2
04-18-12, 20:31
Gander Mountain has a Gunsmith but would probably charge me out my ass. I could just do it myself.
I built a Draco SBR. And have worked on AR's and AK's